• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TIME TO VOTE

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR  

468 members have voted

1. 1. ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

183 posts in this topic

Sorry to be late to the game with this one, but it seems so obvious I had to suggest it: "SterlingComicsSux!" ...this is AFTER you've handed over your current nick, you understand... acclaim.gif

So, the SUX stands for SUPERIOR, ULTIMATE, and XTREME? confused-smiley-013.gif

My vote was a tie between shiverbones and garthgantu - shiver won

after overtime and coin toss: always positive, constructive posts and

infectious enthusiasm about many different types of comics.

Well, shoot, if you're going to use serious criteria, I'm outta my league !!

Frankly, I was surprised that so many people were on the "ballot" (me not touching the "pole," no way no how)... ? RobReact is a rookie? Doesn't the fact that he's figured out how to build so many shill accounts to boost his tally prove that he's not a rookie? confused-smiley-013.gif

As I said before, I merely listed all the names that fellow members posted.

by the way...

My name is Rob, I'm from boston and I love comics.

I also don't feel like a rookie, but who am I to argue?

If you would like to drop out of the race, that's entirely up to you. If you don't tell us a little more.....that choice will be mine. devil.gif

One of my specialty areas of practice is intellectual property law. I can promise you that I am not full of it. I don't know anything about the Ugg Boot litigation, but I know how trademarks work.

You guys are full of it.....US companies steal, rob, etc around anything to do with trademarks. There is a case at the moment where a US company is trying to stop aussies from using the term Ug boot. For god sake...we invented them and to us it is a generic term for any boot or slipper that is made from sheepskin.

Oh....by the way Ug boots (or Ugly boots if you want the true meaning) are objects of derision out here. Only people of lower socio-economic and lower education standards wear them.

Sorry..... flowerred.gif

Wasn't aimed specifically at you....it's just the whole US trademark thing hit a raw nerve.

shiverbones 3_5_17.gif

redhook 3_5_17.gif

sterlingcomics 3_5_17.gif

goldust40 3_5_17.gif

nikos61 3_5_17.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hello my fellow forumites. hi.gif

I've come not to praise CGG nor to bury them, but to just get out of the way and let them bury themselves.

acclaim.gif

Please support my candidacy and I promise to do my best lower eBay fees, Paypal fees, grading fees, and the Postal rates too.

acclaim.gif

So go vote for that guy at the top of the list {That would be Aces wink.gif} and do your part for God and Country and Comics!

acclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif

shiverbones 3_5_17.gif

redhook 3_5_17.gif

sterlingcomics 3_5_17.gif

goldust40 3_5_17.gif

nikos61 3_5_17.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hello my fellow forumites. hi.gif

I've come not to praise CGG nor to bury them, but to just get out of the way and let them bury themselves.

acclaim.gif

Please support my candidacy and I promise to do my best lower eBay fees, Paypal fees, grading fees, and the Postal rates too.

acclaim.gif

So go vote for that guy at the top of the list {That would be Aces wink.gif} and do your part for God and Country and Comics!

acclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif3_5_17.gif

Just wanted to let everyone know that the polls are closed, and that the ROOKIE OF THE YEAR award ceremony will be held this Sunday.

How about a round of applause for this year's nominees. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Just wanted to let everyone know that the polls are closed, and that the ROOKIE OF THE YEAR award ceremony will be held this Sunday.

The polls for 'thread of the year' will be open momentarily (ie as soon as I can wade through all the nominations grin.gif).

Looks like Ian is a crowd favourite. Anyone got a Buzzy 70 to donate in the event that he wins?

Now how come this thread says I'm coming second, but the other thread says I've been disqualified ???

It's like a scene from "Being John Malkovitch", which I gave up trying to understand and switched off because it was doing my head in. A bit like the other thread "Rookie Of The Year"

I'm even more confused than ever.

Looks like Ian is a crowd favourite. Anyone got a Buzzy 70 to donate in the event that he wins?

Now how come this thread says I'm coming second, but the other thread says I've been disqualified ???

It's like a scene from "Being John Malkovitch", which I gave up trying to understand and switched off because it was doing my head in. A bit like the other thread "Rookie Of The Year"

I'm even more confused than ever.

Maybe I should have put

DC

in the subject line.... 893frustrated.gif

Thought it would be a good time to get to know this year's nominees a little better.

If your name is on the list....please formulate a post telling us all a little about yourselves. If you prefer, you can post about your experience here on the CGC boards, etc.....

I don't really care what you post about....but a post is mandatory . sumo.gif

Any ROOKIE that fails to meet this criteria will be removed from the ballot...and be subject to countless flamewars in the future.

I don't really care what you post about....but a post is mandatory

That's not fair.

No-one told me.

Am I supposed to read every post on every thread on every board ??????

If I did, I'd never have time to search for my last fourteen comics and the giveaways.

NO FAIR.

That's not fair.

No-one told me.

If I did, I'd never have time to search for my last fourteen comics and the giveaways.

NO FAIR.

IS TOO!!

That's not fair.

No-one told me.

NO FAIR.

I don't expect you to read every thread....but I thought you might take the time and be somewhat interested in honoring some of our newer members.

Furthermore....you have the opportunity to qualify right now. makepoint.gif

Maybe if you could break free of your

OBSESSION

for a moment, you would take the time to thank everyone that voted for you.....and stop acting like a child.

These awards are supposed to give us all a chance to recognize the efforts of our fellow forum members, and all you can do is rant and rave about yet another injustice that you must endure. tongue.gif

That's not fair.

No-one told me.

NO FAIR.

I don't expect you to read every thread....but I thought you might take the time and be somewhat interested in honoring some of our newer members.

Furthermore....you have the opportunity to qualify right now. makepoint.gif

Maybe if you could break free of your

OBSESSION

for a moment, you would take the time to thank everyone that voted for you.....and stop acting like a child.

These awards are supposed to give us all a chance to recognize the efforts of our fellow forum members, and all you can do is rant and rave about yet another injustice that you must endure. tongue.gif

Well, we're all here because we're obsessed, in one way or another.

Nevertheless Ian, now is the time. Get yer PR machine in order, and start maknig speeches.

You owe these boards. It's Payback Time!!!!! tongue.gif

Hello

My name is Ian Levine

I live in West London.

I bought my first DC comic at the tender age of six. It was the Justice League Of America number 7, "The Cosmic Fun House". I was hooked.

I collected avidly up until 1986, attempting in vain to collect every DC comic. I never had the remotest interest in Marvel at all.

By 1986, I had cards filled out with every DC number to tick off, but my Golden Age collection was pretty pathetic. I had great runs from the late 1950s up to 1986, in most cases uninterrupted ones. I just gave up and stopped buying, not finding affordable Golden Age, and not being motivated by the new comics coming out of DC at the time, and too confused by the whole "Crisis On Infinite Earths" and the ending of the simplistic old style of storytelling that I'd loved all my life.

In 2002, not having looked at my DC comics for years, and seeing them so thick with dust that it looked like they were covered in a thin layer of cotton wool, I arranged with my old friend Mike Lake to sell some of the rarer ones to a guy called Jonathan Browne, who ran a comic business called "They Walk Among Us".

Basically I sold him two thousand pounds worth, and within a week, having opened the cupboards and taken then all out, I bitterly regretted it.

I had opened Pandora's Box.

So I bought most of them back for more than I had sold them for, and started collecting again.

Unlike the 1980s, the abundance of collectors and dealers and the internet made it possible to track down comics that heretofore had merely been a dream.

ComicBiz and Quicksilver in England, Metropolis, Harley Yee, Rich Muchin, Robert Rogovin, Joe Verenault, Gary Dolgoff, and so many others in the USA, and after a year and a half, I had less than a thousand to go.

Then someone suggested to me that I join the GCG boards.

I cannot remember who it was. I am trying but it wasn't anyone that I mentioned above.

So I came on here last autumn and posted up my wants list.

This did two things.

Firstly it led to undreamed of contacts which now means I only need 14 comics to complete the entire set of every DC ever sold in the shops.

Secondly, it led to me getting up a lot of people's noses in my quest, especially those who had no love for vintage DC comics.

My relationship with these boards has been a real love/hate one.

The very public argument with Metropolis, the famous "The Wheels Are In Motion" became the most read thread on these boards.

The recent debacle with my being promised three early Detective Comics by a guy in Denmark, comics which I hasten to add never actually existed, did little to diminish my profile.

DC comics were my first love as a kid, even prior to Doctor Who, which had not even been commissioned when I bought my first Justice League comic.

I have made huge sacrifices to complete this collection. I arranged a remortgage of the house, and I also sold everything I could find to finance it, as my line of work is quite frankly abominable at the moment. So I sold off all my rare records, my Doctor Who props, my Doctor Who film prints, even some of my rare Motown collection.

But with just 14 to go, I feel I have achieved something noteworthy. At least to me. I'm not doing it to impress anyone else, whatever any of you might think, and some of my comics are low grade and restored of course. In fact, only three comic people have even seen my collection. No, I'm doing it because I always wanted every DC and it was an unachievable dream till recently.

And I'd be lying if I didn't say that these boards have helped me enormously during the last lap of the race.

The one drawback being that everyone now knows what I still need. A Buzzy 70, which should only fetch ten dollars, will obviously not be sold to me at any sort of bargain price. If you'd all never heard of me, no-one would have dreamed of asking a hundred dollars for that comic, never mind the ridiculous joke sum of five thousand bucks which that guy in California said he'd sell it for.

But with a couple of exceptions, there are some lovely people here on these boards. A little judgemental sometimes, but real characters nonetheless.

I just hope I still feel that way after I hopefully find my last fourteen. The visibility of my quest makes me very vulnerable.

Finally, to the wonderful Metarog, the KING of these boards, you alone made coming on here worthwhile. Your selfless assistance and tireless searching have been a joy to behold, and a true privilege to get to meet you, PURELY down to these CGC forum threads.

I pray I never become so financially unstuck that I'm forced to sell them.

893applaud-thumb.gif

IAN LEVINE 3_5_17.gif

I do hope I managed to explain my reasons for collecting, my history of collecting, and also linked the relationship of my collecting to these very boards ???? Did I leave anything out that I was supposed to do ???