• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman #1 (1940) CGC 8.0 (MP) sells for $10,250 on Mound City Auction.

79 posts in this topic

:o

Is $10,250 the out-the-door price or was there a buyers premium added to that?

I wish I'd known that was the reserve, I would've bid for sure. What a bargain someone got on that book!! :headbang:

I would generally say there has to have been a premium but I've been searching the site and have not found evidence of one yet. :o

This just may have been the deal of the century. :cool:

With the BP, $12,095. Shipping/ins probably brings it up to $12,200. So is that really such a deal? I know the earlier auction where the high bidder reneged had it up to $20K or so, but that's essentially a phantom bid, since the transaction didn't occur. If "high rollers" like Rick, Jay, Adam, Steve B (and Steve F for all we know), all of whom very likely knew of the auction didn't bid, it may be that $12K is market-appropriate for a restored 8.0. It didn't get the "extensive" or "amateur" designation, but it's still "restored". Just my 2 cents worth.

:o

Is $10,250 the out-the-door price or was there a buyers premium added to that?

I wish I'd known that was the reserve, I would've bid for sure. What a bargain someone got on that book!! :headbang:

I would generally say there has to have been a premium but I've been searching the site and have not found evidence of one yet. :o

This just may have been the deal of the century. :cool:

With the BP, $12,095. Shipping/ins probably brings it up to $12,200. So is that really such a deal? I know the earlier auction where the high bidder reneged had it up to $20K or so, but that's essentially a phantom bid, since the transaction didn't occur. If "high rollers" like Rick, Jay, Adam, Steve B (and Steve F for all we know), all of whom very likely knew of the auction didn't bid, it may be that $12K is market-appropriate for a restored 8.0. It didn't get the "extensive" or "amateur" designation, but it's still "restored". Just my 2 cents worth.

Good points! $12,200 is starting to get closer to FMV than $10250. But in my case, I was aware of the auction but after seeing the book "sell" for $30k? (I forget the total now) last time and the book being relisted with a reserve (and Heritage & Comiclink around the corner) I didn't even pay attention when the auction went off this time. If I'd seen it was reserve met I definitely would have bid. The restored market is tough to figure out right now, but I still say the buyer got a deal!

Here is the real story.

The bidder in the original auction back on Sept. 18-19 registered with a stolen credit card. "He" bid the book to $35,000 but not only did not pay but sent a sarcastic email. I called Proxibid and reported the fraud, and reported it to the police as well. The card failed an address verification check (a routine I wrote for Paylinx back when I worked for them as a Software Engineer) and the address used to register the bidder was bogus as well.

The President of Proxibid agreed to re-auction the book in a timed auction with their own marketing campaign and to cover up to $15,000 of the final sale price should the book not hit $35,000. The owner dropped his reserve during the sale and we lowered his reserve as soon as we got his written direction to reduce his reserve. The buyer has to pay his amount, the rest is covered by Proxibid and I received Proxibid's check for $15,000 today. I suggested where they should advertise and they ran adds where they felt they should run them. They emailed all of our past bidders so any of you who actually registered at our auctions should have received an email. I posted about the auction in the correct forum. I am sorry if you missed the auction but the high bid won the book.

As far as us having a higher bid in this auction that did not win, that is simply not correct. The book sold for the high bid. If you had a higher bid last time and did not see fit to bid this time I am sorry about that but these were separate auctions.

Proxibid stepped up and put their money where their mouth was.

We sold the book for the owner for $25,250. There was a 18% bp on the $10,250 but we did not get paid a bp on the $15,000.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

As to why someone would sell with us.

We have sat over 500 World Record prices. I think that may have some impact on the matter. I saw several of the books we sold sell for less later (some for much less) perhaps that factored in? It may have been the thank you letter from the seller of the Mound City Collection that I put on my front page of my website that did the trick, the one that ends with "I love you guys". Perhaps it was the people that saw the press coverage that resulted from my press releases. The coverage that came from UPI, USA Today, CNN etc...

Maybe someone out there thought we were OK. I know we are not Heritage, but we did beat their prices as well as the prices of everyone else in the world on over 500 books in our first auction. I know the books were good, but they did not get to those prices all on their own. I could have dropped the ball on the prices, many of you thought we would. Yes we screwed up the shipping, but this time we got the shipping right. I hope you noticed that we had free shipping and I did not get even one complaint on it.

Now that you know the facts, feel free to spin this however you will. The fact remains. I took care of my Seller, and Proxibid took care of me and my Seller. They are fixing their problem, you can bet they don't ever what to do this again.

So, how was that price? $25,250 for a purple label 8.0 MP is not to shabby right? In fact to me it looks to me like it may be a new World Record.

maybe the mound boys would like to offer an explaination? i bid more myself!!!

Really? What was your bidder number?

I believe he means the first time around...I was unaware the book was being re-auctioned...I consider that unfortunate as I would have bid more than the winning 10K bid, but couldn't because it seems the I nor virtually anyone knew about it (shrug)

So, how was that price? $25,250 for a purple label 8.0 MP is not to shabby right? In fact to me it looks to me like it may be a new World Record.

Not sure how it could be considered a world record when no one bid that amount.

We posted here in the correct fourm.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=21&Number=4354884&Searchpage=1&Main=205649&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post4354884

and again on

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=21&Number=4390582&Searchpage=1&Main=207031&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post4390582

I remember about getting my head chewed off becuse someone I never met posted in the general fourm.

You can't have it both ways guys.

They sent an email to all my past registered bidders. Perhaps your spam filters filtered it out.

I will have more comics in the future, I get more all the time. I can't say how good they will be, I sell what I get. The guy I got the Golden Age stuff from has a nice Silver Age collection. I may be selling it as well.

I recommended that Proxibid run an ad here and on scoop. I do not know what they did, it was their deal.

My guess is that the seller isn't complaining about his net? hm

He probably wound up with a higher net than he could have received anywhere else? (shrug)

Becuse that is what it sold for. It is very simple, what the seller gets paid is what it sold for. Oh, I left of the BP so it's even more.

well, I am a registered bidder (I assume I am, since I bid on many past auctions) and I got no email alert?

also, for golden age, many of us never venture into comics general ...just a fyi for future endeavors...

He probably wound up with a higher net than he could have received anywhere else? (shrug)

but it was a "fluke" that that amount was paid, due to some proxy guarantee, I suspect? no one bid that amount, and therefore it is not a "record" since it is not worth that amount...bottom line is the book is worth about 15K, and that is what it would have gone for (approximately) if it had of received all the bids it could have

but it was a "fluke" that that amount was paid, due to some proxy guarantee, I suspect? no one bid that amount, and therefore it is not a "record" since it is not worth that amount...bottom line is the book is worth about 15K, and that is what it would have gone for (approximately) if it had of received all the bids it could have

I want some of those "Flukes". :headbang:

Exactly.

Exactly.

No, the bottom line is the line on the bottom of the sales form that I get paid, and on this item it is not $10,250 it is $27,095. That is the sale price, not what you say or what anyone else says. The price I get paid after the BP, that is what the book sold for. It do not matter a hill of beans who pays me, the checks cash all the same.

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Teddy Roosevelt

You should try it in the arena sometimes, you might like it, but it is not as easy as it looks.

The price I get paid after the BP, that is what the book sold for. It do not matter a hill of beans who pays me, the checks cash all the same.

Oh, I know what you got paid. I was talking about whether it should be considered a world record, and nothing you've said has convinced me that it should.

Matter of perspective ....due to a guarantee from the bidding host mound city got paid $x ( no way for us to verify but that point is really not important to the value discussion )....

At this particular auction the book garnered a 10250 +BP bid...that is real world market value according to the bidders that participated....now if a few more folks like myself had of known about it I suspect bidding in the 12500+BP range would have resulted ...

All that aside it is very peculiar how it reached the unrealistic price it got before and most of us that privately discussed called shenanigans ...and the re auctioning certainty went a long way to support such speculation