• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'LL TAKE IT!!!

216 posts in this topic

I know there are a lot of offers that go on "behind the scenes" with PM's. I would be fine with someone announcing that the book is "on hold" due to a finalization of the negotiating process. Getting caught up in a previously :takeit: myself, my thoughts on the matter are that a book is available until someone post an :takeit:

on the sales page. As a buyer we have no idea that a book has been sold behind the scenes until we are informed of the matter on the sales page. I think the seller making the sales page the defining call takes away any shady dealings.

I agree with this. I recently posted :takeit: for a book. A buyer, not the person running the thread, said the book was sold due to a PM. Later when I got my invoice the seller told me I got the book as the person had made a lower offer and since he had not even read it by the time I had posted the :takeit: he took my :takeit: over the offer.

Or how about the time I posted :takeit: for all the books minus one specific one. This was in a dead thread with only one book sold so far. The seller was only halfway through listing the books. Due to a PM right away the seller knew exactly what I meant, I was taking all the books posted so far. Another buyer commented or asked a question in the thread, I immediately responded that I had only taken the books listed so far, not the whole run. Then some knob goes on to say I abused the :takeit: to try to cherry pick books by tying them up (shrug)

Now these are the only two incidents I have ever had in the 100+ times I have bought books on these boards. So overall buying here is a very good experience.

It would be a lot simpler if sellers would just post their best prices for thread offerings right up front.

Why, some people want to get as much as they can for their books?

Especially on the boards, it's not always about squeezing every last dollar out of every sale.

The boards are in danger of becoming a venue where too much material is offered at too high prices, and with too few sales.

So you should have offered your JIM books at a discount as a nice gesture rather than auction them off as unpressed gems to squeeze your money out of them.

lol

I love it when someone comes on and tells someone else how to price something in a capitalist society. For some people it's almost like fixing their income for them.

:screwy:

Now these are the only two incidents I have ever had in the 100+ times I have bought books on these boards. So overall buying here is a very good experience.

It's discussions like these that help work out the kinks.

(thumbs u

This has been a cyclical discussion that comes up every few years.

I told a board member this week I would take a few books via PM, just some cheap :censored:. Later I get a PM saying they were sold? Because I had not posted a :takeit: in the thread and made a spectacle of my desire for the book I lost the book. I checked time stamps, and I said I would take them about 10 minutes earlier then the person in the thread. But honestly while slightly disappointed, I dont care.

hm but how did you feel after the taunting, and would you buy from that person again?
No. I wont, they had another book that I wanted and decided to pass. (shrug)

It would be a lot simpler if sellers would just post their best prices for thread offerings right up front.

Especially on the boards, it's not always about squeezing every last dollar out of every sale.

The boards are in danger of becoming a venue where too much material is offered at too high prices, and with too few sales.

So you should have offered your JIM books at a discount as a nice gesture rather than auction them off as unpressed gems to squeeze your money out of them.

lol

I love it when someone comes on and tells someone else how to price something in a capitalist society. For some people it's almost like fixing their income for them.

Heres one..

I wont buy anything expensive here on the boards. I will always take my chance at auction since I feel somewhat offended by the statement "figured I would give the boards first crack" and the book is at GPA. So I should help out a fellow boardie make the extra 10% they would lose anywhere else?? I will take my chances at auction and hopefully save a few bucks.

Not calling you out Roy, because you just happened to be in the discussion. There are too many people that cash in on the board members who buy into the self created hype. All the TOS Whiplash books are a perfect example, Showcase 22 as well. Alot of hype here that drove up prices short term. I feel there are many sellers who take advantage of the people here in a less then friendly/brotherly manner.

lol

Roy, I do understand what Bob is saying. If I remember correctly Bob will list his books stating firm but negotiable on 3 or more items. I like this approach.

If I see books listed obviously high with a negotiable comment I get scared as I am a terrible negotiator. I dislike the process second only to shopping for clothes.

Knowing the firm price up front allows me to focus on the book itself and my desire to have it, not on the price.

I'm not saying I disapprove of a seller's starting price obviously high, it is indeed his right to do so but this approach it is not appealing to me and scares me off.

lol

WTF are you talking about, Roy? I didn't offer my Journey run on the boards.

The boards are a community, and a whole different venue for selling than any other. Pricing shouldn't be directed at squeezing the maximum dollar amount out of every book in this community, but rather should be focused on getting nice prices while encouraging and spreading the fun of collecting.

Not calling you out Roy, because you just happened to be in the discussion. There are too many people that cash in on the board members who buy into the self created hype. All the TOS Whiplash books are a perfect example, Showcase 22 as well. Alot of hype here that drove up prices short term. I feel there are many sellers who take advantage of the people here in a less then friendly/brotherly manner.

No worries, I'm not taking it personally.

I do believe that people should be able to set their own prices without feeling like azz-hats for doing so. High prices = tumbleweeds and ghost towns.

Again, I don't want to get into the whole buyer beware discussion, but if you really want to break it down to atoms and molecules, everything in life is in some form being hyped to sell. Some hype is just bigger than others (Seanfingh, this relativity is for you).

WTF are you talking about, Roy? I didn't come to the boards to sell my Journey run.

I know, but in the spirit of comraderie and friendship you should have. And at a discount to FMV.

I'm not saying I disapprove of a seller's starting price obviously high, it is indeed his right to do so but this approach it is not appealing to me and scares me off.

Bob, I understand completely. Not every seller is every buyer's favorite flavour and visa versa. That's why we have lots of choices to choose from.

:foryou:

WTF are you talking about, Roy? I didn't offer my Journey run on the boards.

I know, but in the spirit of comraderie and friendship you should have. And at a discount to FMV.

You've lost me. If you can't distinguish between offering comics on Comiclink and these Boards, then I don't see how you can add to the current discussion.

WTF are you talking about, Roy? I didn't come to the boards to sell my Journey run.

You've lost me.

Knowing Bob paid good prices for his books over the years I understand his desire to take the books directly to auction. However, I will agree with Roy (even though I suspect his comments were tongue in cheek) that sometimes it is nice for an active Boardie to share the good fortune of a cheap collection with his fellow Boardies. Not necessarily offering to sell the book cheap but at least offering to give first shot to the Boards.

You've lost me.

He is saying you should have offered the books here at a discount to a yet to be determined FMV instead of sending them to auction to realize highest prices. It would have been nicer to give the books away instead of selling at auction.

You've lost me.

Knowing Bob paid good prices for his books over the years I understand his desire to take the books directly to auction. However, I will agree with Roy (even though I suspect his comments were tongue in cheek) that sometimes it is nice for an active Boardie to share the good fortune of a cheap collection with his fellow Boardies. Not necessarily offering to sell the book cheap but at least offering to give first shot to the Boards.

Agreed, Bob. I'll remind you and Roy that I offered plenty of high grade first runs on the boards, including a complete run of SA Thors.

Umm.. Raw books at slabbed prices :baiting:

I really don't agree with someone using GPA data to price raw books.

If they are going to use this information, will they guarantee CGC will agree with their grade if the buyer submits the book?

Otherwise, a seller is getting the best of both worlds. High prices from GPA, and no additional CGC costs to guarantee the grade through its process.

I know - sellers just don't want to leave money on the table.

:eyeroll:

You've lost me.

Bob constantly has great sales threads, his grading is always tight. However his lack of giving ME good prices is upsetting, since I am so charming (read he doesnt like lowball offers)

You've lost me.

Agreed, Bob. I'll remind you and Roy that I offered my SA Thor run for sale first on the boards.

But they couldnt be pressed and flipped for as much profit :makepoint:

Umm.. Raw books at slabbed prices :baiting:

I really don't agree with someone using GPA data to price raw books.

If they are going to use this information, will they guarantee CGC will agree with their grade if the buyer submits the book?

Otherwise, a seller is getting the best of both worlds. High prices from GPA, and no additional CGC costs to guarantee the grade through its process.

I know - sellers just don't want to leave money on the table.

:eyeroll:

I didnt say that..