• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'LL TAKE IT!!!

216 posts in this topic

WTF are you talking about, Roy? I didn't come to the boards to sell my Journey run.

I know, but in the spirit of comraderie and friendship you should have. And at a discount to FMV.

You've lost me.

This is what you said:

It would be a lot simpler if sellers would just post their best prices for thread offerings right up front.

Why, some people want to get as much as they can for their books?

Especially on the boards, it's not always about squeezing every last dollar out of every sale.

The boards are in danger of becoming a venue where too much material is offered at too high prices, and with too few sales.

You can't just swipe at everyone with the same brush.

The types of books offered on the boards are legion and there is no set rule to what percentage of FMV a book will fetch.

Some books sell immediately at full pop or to FMV. Others sit for weeks.

If it was only about selling books cheap to make people feel good it wouldn't be a marketplace.

There will never be a time when the boards are in danger of becoming a venue where too much material is offered at too high prices, and with too few sales.

All that will happen is prices will drop until sales will pick up again.

To make a statement like:

It would be a lot simpler if sellers would just post their best prices for thread offerings right up front.

is naive and over simplifying something that isn't simple.

I didnt say that..

Roy will in 5...4...3...2...

:baiting:

This is as close to biting my lip as I can find.

:eyeroll:

When I have offered raw books with GPA references I have guaranteed the grades. I also offered the books with a discount to GPA to account for grading fees and in some cases consignment fees, so the buyer was still getting a good deal.

For the most part my grades have been accurate from most buyer's experiences. In some cases the books graded over what I thought they would, in other cases they graded under what I thought they would. I've offered money back when the grade came under (most of the time, there could be the odd exception) but I have never received money back when I undergraded.

All in all, the high grade market is like roulette.

I won't get into the whole discussion of quoting GPA as it has been hashed out a zillion times.

I'll just give you the cliff notes of my POV: GPA for some books is all about the grade, and for other books it's all about the book. For the savvy buyer, it's an invaluable tool no matter what you buy. If you're going to spend money on comics, educate yourself on how to grade, how to price and how to manage your expectations based on those two things.

Frankly I don't see the boards as anything else except another venue for selling books. Higher standards and frankly higher expectations. Nothing wrong with that.

Reading this thread it's almost the same thread that gets posted about dealers and their prices. Somehow the "Seller - insert your name here" should know what a fair price is to those who want to buy it. GPA (last sale, 12 month, no sale), FMV all mean different things to different people so I'm not sure how exactly that price is established.

Bottom line to all of this is $$$$$. Somehow I think that some buyers want to buy something and have a immediate profitable stake in the book. That when rationalizing it to their wife/friends that can proudly proclaim - I got it for $250 and it's worth $400. Look, honey, GPA reported sale $400! Cha-ching!

Everybody's FMV is what the seller will take and what the buyer will spend. If you want to be a greedy pig feel free to ask top dollar and don't discount. You'll find that most people will deal with you as a last resort and frankly will go everywhere else first to find another copy. I know that's how I felt dealing with certain sellers. And when they ask why I don't buy from them I tell them.

Shortsighed sales are not what I'm looking for. As I state on my website - I'll work with you if you work with me". It's a two way street. I like long term deals with people. I pay you want I can, if I can't I'll tell you why. I can't bail you out of a bad deal or if a book has gone down in price or is hard to sell.

Honestly, there are a few sellers on here that tend to sell a bit higher because they may not do all the research to properly value some books, an example may be selling slabbed books for more than GPA simply because they don't subscribe to GPA. I have been told some of my books are too high at times and have adjusted them accordingly. Everyone states that this board is a community, but when someone is pricing their books too high people don't seem to PM and let them know. I have had this done on a couple of occasions and repriced the books to new info provided. I am thankful for the additional information as it helps me with my sales.

I've offered money back when the grade came under
Roy, I respect where you are coming from because you stand behind your grading. This isn't the norm. Some will quote GPA - want that price - but offer no guarantee in the event you submit to CGC.

Like Paul said, it comes down the buyer doing their research, but also realizing what their price point needs to be in order to post :takeit: on a book.

DISCLAIMER: :takeit:in this case means final purchase agreement, and trumps all other offers either via PM, mental telepathy, or snail mail.

I have bought from Brian a few times. He is actually a favorite to deal with, just doesnt sell very often. That being said, he also did not make me post the :takeit: in the thread.

And I see what you are saying Bob. There is a certain dealer here on the boards that I generally dont buy from, because of pricing. And as you claimed they are a last resort. I am not naming names here, just saying I understand what you mean.

I'm not sure who has voted themselves the "pricing police" but I don't see why someone would PM and say your prices are too high.

If I'm interested in a book I will sometimes say this is what I've sold it for, etc. As far as pricing goes maybe they have a database of past sales and are welcome to ask whatever they think it will sell for.

What if someone PM's someone, gets them to lower the price and then you see the book on Ebay selling for $500 more? Wouldn't thrill me to see that and frankly it's a one and out as far as that buyer goes.

I'm not sure who has voted themselves the "pricing police" but I don't see why someone would PM and say your prices are too high.

If I'm interested in a book I will sometimes say this is what I've sold it for, etc. As far as pricing goes maybe they have a database of past sales and are welcome to ask whatever they think it will sell for.

What if someone PM's someone, gets them to lower the price and then you see the book on Ebay selling for $500 more? Wouldn't thrill me to see that and frankly it's a one and out as far as that buyer goes.

I have seen that here.

It typically isn't a buyer letting me know my prices are too high. I don't subscribe to GPA, I typically buy and sell raw. The best example of this is my last sale where I was trying to sell a SS ASM 50 in 3.5 for $200.00 I was politely explained what the real GPA was and lowered my price accordingly. the book still didn't sell, but I now know the true value for the future.

The issue in the thread is whether a 'take it' posting in a sales thread is required to reserve a book.

Pricing is relevant to the discussion insofar as those who encourage price negotiations are going to be prone to conflicts over who has made a binding first committment to buying a comic.

Pricing is relevant to the discussion insofar as those who encourage price negotiations are going to be prone to conflicts over who has made a binding first committment to buying a comic.

This is only true if the guidelines are not spelled out well in advance.

Just remember, sold doesn't always mean sold.

You mean :takeit: may have been posted in the thread wrong?

No, I mean being told 'sold' in a PM doesn't mean sold unless you follow the sellers other stipulations/requirements, as happened in the recent case.

If I tell someone the book has been sold to them, it's sold, regardless of anything else - but that's just me.

I got an idea, they should make a little smiley face with a sign that says someone wants to purchase this item. Then when they reply to a thread, they use this icon and it is time stamped. That way there will be no arguing. If the seller receives an offer he cannot refuse via PM, then he should post the icon in the thread for the buyer. As long as no one in the thread has posted it during the negotiations. That way every single thread sale has every single item sold with a time stamp.

If someone (like myself recently) wants to low ball or add special stipulations to a purchass, I do so by negotiating at risk that someone else may be buying it while I am negotiating.

Just remember, sold doesn't always mean sold.

You mean :takeit: may have been posted in the thread wrong?

No, I mean being told 'sold' in a PM doesn't mean sold unless you follow the sellers other stipulations/requirements, as happened in the recent case.

If I tell someone the book has been sold to them, it's sold, regardless of anything else - but that's just me.

What is this world coming to? I'm agreeing with you now? :baiting: