• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'LL TAKE IT!!!

216 posts in this topic

Here's my original post which was responding to a person who emails the seller and tells them their price is too high. I don't have a problem if a person buys something but don't tell him his price is too high and then sell it for more on ebay.

If you copied the whole thing it answers your question.

I'm not sure who has voted themselves the "pricing police" but I don't see why someone would PM and say your prices are too high.

If I'm interested in a book I will sometimes say this is what I've sold it for, etc. As far as pricing goes maybe they have a database of past sales and are welcome to ask whatever they think it will sell for.

What if someone PM's someone, gets them to lower the price and then you see the book on Ebay selling for $500 more? Wouldn't thrill me to see that and frankly it's a one and out as far as that buyer goes.

Well, it's true. The Euro does have no sense of humor since Ireland is close to default, Portugal is scrambling for some debt austerity and Spain is tettering. If I was the euro currency I wouldn't have a sense of humor either.

What if someone PM's someone, gets them to lower the price and then you see the book on Ebay selling for $500 more? Wouldn't thrill me to see that and frankly it's a one and out as far as that buyer goes.

Whats wrong with that? If the seller here agreed to lower the price, I don't see why the buyer couldn't try to flip it on E-Bay for $500 more. Doesn't mean he is going to be able to sell it for $500 more. Also, you have to sell higher on E-Bay than on the boards to cover E-Fees.

The majority view here is that you don't beg for a big price cut claiming this is a grail book for you that you will cherish in your collection only to try to flip it on ebay right away, sometimes before you even have the book (using the original seller's scans). Everyone is looking for a deal, let's say based on the scan and description you think the book being offered for $1000 is only worth $800 to you, you offer $800, you get the book and it's better than you thought and you now consider it a $1200 book (this applies more with raw books)? why not?

"I'm not sure who has voted themselves the "pricing police" but I don't see why someone would PM and say your prices are too high."

There are more polite ways to do it, but why not, if you want to buy the book but the price seems out of wack? People (myself included) come up with all sorts of prices and have all sorts of rationales that they may ultimately decide make less sense as the market shows they don't.

Lets say that buyer A sends a seller a PM with an offer and the seller accepts that offer -- via another PM -- meanwhile, buyer B has posted "I'll take it" in the thread (for the full price).

Who do you should get the book? and why...

Lets say that buyerr A sends a buyer a PM with an offer and the seller accepts that offer -- via another PM -- meanwhile, buyer B has posted "I'll take it" in the thread (for the full price).

Well, if a buyer is sending a buyer an offer on a book they just purchased for a higher price, that is one fast flip!

What do you do - tell the seller to send it to Buyer #2 because he just sold what he bought?

doh!

Whats wrong with that? If the seller here agreed to lower the price, I don't see why the buyer couldn't try to flip it on E-Bay for $500 more. Doesn't mean he is going to be able to sell it for $500 more. Also, you have to sell higher on E-Bay than on the boards to cover E-Fees.

The majority view here is that you don't beg for a big price cut claiming this is a grail book for you that you will cherish in your collection only to try to flip it on ebay right away, sometimes before you even have the book (using the original seller's scans). Everyone is looking for a deal, let's say based on the scan and description you think the book being offered for $1000 is only worth $800 to you, you offer $800, you get the book and it's better than you thought and you now consider it a $1200 book (this applies more with raw books)? why not?

Ahhh, I didn't know Bob was reffering to someone making a claim of giving the book a loving home, I just took it as "I made an offer, you accepted" type of thing. I don't try to sweeten up my offers by saying stuff like its a grail for me, even if it is, I just ask if they can do "X amount" and leave it at that. Does that even work, the whole "grail" story?

Lets say that buyer A sends a seller a PM with an offer and the seller accepts that offer -- via another PM -- meanwhile, buyer B has posted "I'll take it" in the thread (for the full price).

Whichever timestamp was first, Buyer B with the ;takeit or the seller accepting the offer.

I understand how a seller could feel foolish if they sell a book to a guy and that guy flips it for more money a few days later -- but, hey, thats how capitalism works. Nothing wrong with making an honest buck.

However, if I was the buyer, I would at least wait to have the book in hand before I flip it...just seems like the safer (and less tacky) thing to do. Unlike the stock market, there is no regulatory body that would protect the buyer from selling something he dosent own yet!

Lets say that buyerr A sends a buyer a PM with an offer and the seller accepts that offer -- via another PM -- meanwhile, buyer B has posted "I'll take it" in the thread (for the full price).

Well, if a buyer is sending a buyer an offer on a book they just purchased for a higher price, that is one fast flip!

What do you do - tell the seller to send it to Buyer #2 because he just sold what he bought?

doh!

Ask divad.

I've offered money back when the grade came under
Roy, I respect where you are coming from because you stand behind your grading. This isn't the norm. Some will quote GPA - want that price - but offer no guarantee in the event you submit to CGC.

Like Paul said, it comes down the buyer doing their research, but also realizing what their price point needs to be in order to post :takeit: on a book.

DISCLAIMER: :takeit:in this case means final purchase agreement, and trumps all other offers either via PM, mental telepathy, or snail mail.

Boscoe stole my joke ! :o ........... hm .......... mehh it still rocks! :headbang:

There are more polite ways to do it, but why not, if you want to buy the book but the price seems out of wack? People (myself included) come up with all sorts of prices and have all sorts of rationales that they may ultimately decide make less sense as the market shows they don't.

Just to stay on topic, this whole discussion regarding the "pricing police" has nothing to do with buying a book where the price is out of whack.

It entirely has to do with comments about how your cheapest or "best" price should be the first price put out there when listing a book and I disagreed.

I disagreed because this is too large of a sweeping statement to fairly cover all selling scenarios, especially since many of the books sold on here are hot, rare, desirable, key books or highest graded examples that fetch lots of money elsewhere.

As Bob said, this is simply another selling venue.

Putting a "hot" book for sale priced cheap will only cause the flipping hawks to circle (I have been known to be one) and prevent a true collector from getting the book.

The spirit of the boards is to play fair, not play charity.

I hope this post is taken the right way.

doh!

Ask divad.

lol

doh!

Ask divad.

lol

Biting my tongue again.

:eyeroll:

Putting a "hot" book for sale priced cheap will only cause the flipping hawks to circle (I have been known to be one) and prevent a true collector from getting the book.

Doesn't even have to be a hot book, anything offered here at a bargain gets scooped up by flippers in no time flat...and the "true collector" will have to wait to pay full price (market price) from the flipper when the book gets offered shortly thereafter on Clink, ebay, even here. See it happen all the time - a seller offers a good book here with the intent of giving his fellow collectors first crack at a good price, and it's quickly snatched up by someone wanting it for the sole intent of turning it right around and selling it. Good deals don't last long here as there's always someone looking for "material" to flip. :(

Agreed. In fact, agreed so much, I'm going to PM my agreement to you. I sure hope no one trumps my agreement by posting another agreement in the thread.

;)

Agreed. In fact, agreed so much, I'm going to PM my agreement to you. I sure hope no one turmps my agreement by posting another agreement in the thread.

;)

Sold to Jeffro!

:gossip:*and I haven't even gotten your PM yet.*

Agreed. In fact, agreed so much, I'm going to PM my agreement to you. I sure hope no one turmps my agreement by posting another agreement in the thread.

;)

Sold to Jeffro!

:gossip:*and I haven't even gotten your PM yet.*

I never sent it. Got cold feet. :sorry: