• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'LL TAKE IT!!!

216 posts in this topic

Putting a "hot" book for sale priced cheap will only cause the flipping hawks to circle (I have been known to be one) and prevent a true collector from getting the book.

Agreed. In fact, agreed so much, I'm going to PM my agreement to you. I sure hope no one turmps my agreement by posting another agreement in the thread.

;)

Sold to Jeffro!

:gossip:*and I haven't even gotten your PM yet.*

I never sent it. Got cold feet. :sorry:

...but we still got a deal, right?

meh

Putting a "hot" book for sale priced cheap will only cause the flipping hawks to circle (I have been known to be one) and prevent a true collector from getting the book.

Agreed. In fact, agreed so much, I'm going to PM my agreement to you. I sure hope no one turmps my agreement by posting another agreement in the thread.

;)

Sold to Jeffro!

meh

:frustrated: I AM UNDONE!!!!

Yes :shy:

;)

Sold to Jeffro!

meh

...leaving feedback... :insane:

;)

Sold to Jeffro!

meh

...leaving feedback... :insane:

I thought I felt something. :eek:

My sales threads state "first :takeit: gets it". Personally I don't care if the "I'll take it" is posted in the thread or via PM. But I prefer it posted in the thread simply because it is then clear and public and therefore easier to deal with should there be some kind of dispute ( which fortunately I have not had displeasure of dealing with). I also like the appearance of activity in my sales threads. Any public sale has the potential to get another buyer motivated to commit simply by justifying the sales thread as worthwhile.

But I also understand that some buyers prefer that their purchases remain anonymous. I had a cordial pm exchange with a buyer once where I requested an :takeit: in the thread and he asked if I could just mark them as "SOLD". Hey, as I've been told so many times here, the customer is always right. And in this case he certainly is. If I consider the book sold, and he considers the book sold, why should he have to do the extra work? If the book is sold just mark it as sold.

Ultimately the resolution of any conflict that could arise via a sales thread is the direct responsibility of the seller. He/She has all of the power to make things right. And how that resolution is handled makes all of the difference in whether it escalates into something that folks hear about or is settled quietly to the satisfaction of the buyer.

This thread just shows how hard it is to get a few people or more, to agree on anything.

No wonder our government is so messed up. Even we here who have a common interest, can not agree on how to participate in said common interest. Then we blast the Congress for not being able to work together better.

Shouldn't someone post a set of rules about this, that everyone can refer to and TRY to abide by?

Or are we just gonna carry on with our haphazard way of dealing with the "take it" sign.

I'm good either way. There is no book out there that can make me cry or whine. Cry foul perhaps. But not cry.

When I bought the Mass. copies of Batman 227 and Tec 400, here on the boards. I thought they were priced to high and was in a PM negotiating situation concerning them (not doing too well at it admittedly) and because PM's take so long to travel back and forth when people have other things in their lives, that I just said to heck with it and posted the "take it" signs at full price for both. (their were others also involved in PM negotiations concerning these two books, I am sure)

If I would have waited and secured a slightly better monetary deal via PM, but then someone posted the "take it" signs on the thread, for full price. I would not have been mad at anyone except myself for not doing the same, before they did.

How could I?

Much like someone has posted a "sticky" thread here, on how to package books for shipment, I think that someone should do the same for "how to appropriately use and accept the "take it" sign". It would not be binding, just like the packaging suggesting thread is not binding. But could be a point of reference and a help in later "crying foul" situations.

Of course it could be used against someone who is chasing the almighty dollar and "bending" the suggestions to their benefit.

But what ya gonna do? It's a "dog eat comic book" collectors world out here.

4. :takeit: trumps all

Little man :takeit: trumps PMs...I am open to reasonable offers and package deals (along with my other thread of ASM slabs...

If you want it then post this guy :takeit: and he gets it first before PM's.

:takeit: is trumps, but will consider PMs, especially on multiple books.

- First takeit.gif gets it and trumps any and all PM's.

Honestly guys... I can't see any difference in what my rule was and really any of these other random picks. I'm sure someone will disagree... yet again... but my wording is just as sound as the others.

Is not wanting anyone to know that you bought a specific book on here, slightly nefarious?

I read the birthday surprise concern. But really? How often does that become a concern? How old is the birthday boy? 12? 34? How hard would it be to "cover" the purchase by stating something like "sweet, I have been wanting this for awhile now", or the famous "I have a customer looking for this book"? Or how about, "my apologizies in advance, but I am gonna flip this one to a guy I know"?

Is not wanting anyone to know that you bought a specific book on here, slightly nefarious?

I read the birthday surprise concern. But really? How often does that become a concern? How old is the birthday boy? 12? 34? How hard would it be to "cover" the purchase by stating something like "sweet, I have been wanting this for awhile now", or the famous "I have a customer looking for this book"? Or how about, "my apologizies in advance, but I am gonna flip this one to a guy I know"?

Are you being serious? You really have an issue with buying something privately as a present to surprise a friend, and ensuring they don't catch you beforehand and wondering what's up?

Are you being serious? You really have an issue with buying something privately as a present to surprise a friend, and ensuring they don't catch you beforehand and wondering what's up?

Only a slight one. Not much at all really. Comes from age I guess.

What I do have a disagreement with, is undercutting someone who posts the "take it" sign FIRST in a "for sale" thread. Silly me, I just assume that a thread in the "for sale" section where there is a standardized "take it" sign and is understood by all, can be ignored when it pleases some. But let those "some" get undercut and all hell breaks loose.

I hope y'all won't take it too hard when I post something for sale and after someone posts the "take it" sign, I decide that I asked too little. Back off that sale and ask for more?

Oh, wait. That has been done here already.

How about if I post something for sale here and back off because I didn't check the book before I posted it for sale, and decide that it is either lower than my given grade, or higher?

Oh wait. Those have been done also.

Maybe if I try to sell something here that I don't actually have in my possession yet? Nope. Done all of the time. What happens if I post a book for sale that is on its way back from CGC (or wherever), someone posts the "take it" sign, and the book never shows up?

Tough break I guess.

Seriously. How many birthday comic books have YOU bought from here?

My guess is zero.

What I do have a disagreement with, is undercutting someone who posts the "take it" sign FIRST in a "for sale" thread. Silly me, I just assume that a thread in the "for sale" section where there is a standardized "take it" sign and is understood by all, can be ignored when it pleases some. But let those "some" get undercut and all hell breaks loose.

I can understand where the buying outside the sales thread can lead to concerns over real sales taking place, or assuming a book is still for sale and after posting TAKE IT you are informed the seller forgot to mark the book as sold. That takes the wind out of your buying sails real fast.

Seriously. How many birthday comic books have YOU bought from here?

My guess is zero.

Actually, I've bought quite a few gifts for friends on here, in addition to folks that did something nice for me and I wanted to surprise them with gifts.

Sorry you are not close enough to anyone on here to relate, but many on here exchange gifts during holidays and other special events.

Bosco. I was directing that question to Dr. Watson (you know, that bumbling insufficiently_thoughtful_person sidekick of Sherlock Holmes). Of course there are many here that buy presents for other members here. Heck, I bought a few books via PM here, that were surprise presents for me even.

Yep My memory is so bad that I forget about them until they arrive in the mail and I am pleasantly surprised. Most of my Christmas presents for the last two years, have come from the boards here. I buy them and my wife receives the package and wraps it, and puts it under the tree. That way I always get what I want for Christmas. :)

I participated in the Christmas Exchange here last year and found it enjoyable, but I am not in the mood this year. Bad things going on at home and I just can't get into the holiday mood. So I ask Dr. Watson and others here, to forgive me if I come across too crass. It ain't y'all. I'm just in a bad bad mood currently.

I hope the rest of you had a good Thanksgiving and a great Christmas.

I had a very bad Thanksgiving and was up all night participating in Wal-Marts Black Friday sale.

Still. The "take it" sign in the thread should rule. But they are your books, so what's a fella ta do?

Some people don't want to go public with a purchase because they still owe other sellers some $$$$

Some people don't want to post an :takeit: "I'll take it, because they feel bad that someone else has posted..."IF I ONLY HAD THE FUNDS.." before that person had a chance to post the :takeit:

Sometimes, someone doesn't need all their friends to know they are on a shopping spree...so they don't want to post :takeit: cause they will be teased mercilessly...

and just a few times, someone doesn't want all the people who are casing the joint (because EVERYTHING stays on the internet) to know, so they don't want to post a :takeit: because it's not everyone's business what is being mailed to your house (I swear my postman reads these threads:)

Some people are shy...so they don't want to post :takeit:

and there might be a few (not me) who are afraid their husbands or wives are watching the boards, so they don't want to post a public :takeit:

I'm sure there are more, but I'd need a glass of wine to think of them, and I had one yesterday;)

Some people don't want to go public with a purchase because they still owe other sellers some $$$$

Or they would rather not advertise their collecting interest outside what others already know about what they buy...etc., etc., etc. I have a 50/50 split as far as open purchases and pm purchases. Stuff via Pm is typically items I don't want people to know I am buying to avoid future competition, and sometimes I buy something to flip (which I let the seller know I am thinking about doing).

I have common collecting interests, but about half of my comic collection nobody knows about which is the way I like it.