• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unrestored Blue Label

114 posts in this topic

They appear to have the same policy CGC does regarding very slight color touch, except they apply it more consistently across the ages, although I haven't seen enough examples of CGG books with restoration yet to say that for sure. They definitely do have a separate label color for books with more restoration.

They appear to have the same policy CGC does regarding very slight color touch, except they apply it more consistently across the ages,

You mean they don't just screw up on GA books, but on Silver, Bronze and Modern too?

At some point I promise to finish my con reports from Seattle and Portland the last two weeks...

But one highlight was overhearing the guy from CGG tell another dealer that they contract out with a local guy in Eugene to do their restoration checks for them. Cuz, you know... Eugene is the veritable epicenter of restoration detection technology... foreheadslap.gif

At some point I promise to finish my con reports from Seattle and Portland the last two weeks...

But one highlight was overhearing the guy from CGG tell another dealer that they contract out with a local guy in Eugene to do their restoration checks for them. Cuz, you know... Eugene is the veritable epicenter of restoration detection technology... foreheadslap.gif

As is Sarasota... foreheadslap.gif

I just emailed the guy. Him and I have emailed each other before. CGG just started encapsulated restored books with a green label. A GLOD so to speak. Previously (before January 2004 or so), they wouldn't encapsulate any restored books unless it had slight color touch and then to add to the confusion, they used a blue label and just notated it in the comments. Here's the email that I sent to him:

"Your auction is misleading. CGG used to encapsulate books that had slight color touch. They had no different color labels. Starting in January, they changed their procedures and now give out green labels.

Contact Daniel at CGG for clarification.

Brent"

Maybe that'll set him on the right track so buyers won't be misled into thinking that the book is unrestored.

sign-funnypost.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

My nemesis arrives to taunt me at last... foreheadslap.gif

Curse you, Rocket Surgeon... insane.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

He is my protege. You may call him "Khaos Lite" or "Diet Khaos"... all the Khaos, only one calorie.

sign-funnypost.gif

He is my protege. You may call him "Khaos Lite" or "Diet Khaos"... all the Khaos, only one calorie.

893frustrated.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

893frustrated.gif

Charlie, I'm pregnant, livin' on 9th street...

I got an email asking me to post this. But let me clarify before it's asked that I'm not a rep for CGG or anything, nor am I posting this to "vouch," but simply because I had recently sent an email offering Daniel very positive feedback for his work on grading and returning my modern submissions. So I'm just passing along the message here:

Daniel Patterson writes:

We do still put books with slight color touch (1 or 2 dots of color) under the unrestored blue label, that has not changed since beginning to encapsulate restored books.

As far as the comment made by lighthouse:

-But one highlight was overhearing the guy from CGG tell another dealer that they contract out with a local guy in Eugene to do their restoration checks for them. Cuz, you know... Eugene is the veritable epicenter of restoration detection technology...-

this was never said to anyone by us. As far as his comment on another thread hoping that we would be at the show so he could pick a fight with us, all I can say is he didn't even have the decency to look me in the eye when he stopped by our table and talked to me. Why you have such a dislike for us I am not sure, Mr. Lighthouse, perhaps because you have not tried our service. Let me personally say I will be happy to extend a free grading to you, no return shipping cost or anything. My belief is that if you gave our company a fair chance you may find that we are competent, dedicated people that strive to provide a solid service to everyone.

Daniel

...Man, maybe I should complain about them and get a free grading, too!

Personally, I feel that regardless of what color the label is, if the color touch is minor AND it's noted on the label anyway, what's the problem? I mean, nothing's being hidden deceptively--the information is still right there, disclosed honestly. And it appears to substantiate that CGG is able to spot the touch accurately, and opts to note it on a blue label if it's a small amount, same as CGC policy (for older books). As a buyer, I'd be just as reassured about my purchase as long as the relevant info is disclosed and not concealed from me, so what's the rub?

If CGG will extend the same offer to me...as they did to lighthouse...they could very well earn my business. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Although 3PG appears to falter, I did like their idea of running auctions for one grading with shipping included for a small one-time price of...what was it, $5.95 or something?

Anyway, I got 10 moderns back on Friday and they're top-notch. I posted the example of the pre-shipping grading notations they sent me, and the slab is a clone of CGC (so it's not 'ghetto,' as one person once called it)--it's identical in structure and weight, plus the book is airtight sealed within. At least for moderns, I'll return. We all know, though, that CGC carries more weight for keys and classic books, which is probably what I'd opt for if I ever had to sell my old stuff--which I don't anticipate until my son needs college money, and he's not even 4 yet.

this was never said to anyone by us. As far as his comment on another thread hoping that we would be at the show so he could pick a fight with us, all I can say is he didn't even have the decency to look me in the eye when he stopped by our table and talked to me.

popcorn.gif

In some ways, I prefer CGG's method of doing things: have a restoration policy and be consistent with it among all ages. The fact that CGC will give the same book a dreaded PLOD depending if it's a Gold or Silver book seems kinda inconsistent to me.