• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2010 Collecting Goals- How'd you do?

70 posts in this topic

About as good as usual. The plan was complete TMNT vol. 1, TMNT Adventures, and Fantagraphics Usagi. I am within a couple issues of the TMNT vol. 1 goal, bought maybe two or three issues of TMNT adventures, and maybe 4 or 5 issues of Usagi vol. 1. I bought over 1,000 comics not related to my collecting goals lol

Purchased or upgraded 45 Alpha Flights (have four more being graded right now)

Purchased a #1 Dark Tower Gunslinger 9.9 SS upgrade for my set (Have a #1 DT Gunslinger variant submitted currently :wishluck: )

Purchased/upgraded 22 Locke & Key on my main set and 10 on my extra set; with 7 more currently submitted for grading.

It's been a good year. :cloud9:

2010 will go down as my biggest drop in comic purchases since probably the 1970s :o

I probobly spent a total of $200 this year which is down 50x to 100x from previous years :o :o

My main goal this year was to upgrade a few Batman's and snag at least one major piece of OA. I picked up a few pages of art but nothing expensive and upgrade NO Batman's :sorry:

1) One collecting goal was to sell about 20X more stuff than I actually got around to selling. This has less to do with the soft market than me being a lazy sack of potatoes and not listing, listing and listing some more (here and on ebay).

2) I probably bought 5-10X more stuff than I anticipated, with about 1/3 of it stuff I should have taken a pass on at the price I paid, but I can't help it, decent overstock in nice shape of titles I like 2 for $3 or less is hard to pass on for me. it's some of the other krap I accumulated I should have avoided.

I acquired no big books by and large. I did pick up readers/mid-grades of some books I've wanted like ASM 129, Bats 242 (that's the gothic tales one, right?), Strange Tales Annual 1, some early TOA (ant mans) and stuff like that, but I don't think anything over $30 (after some haggling).

I still have a $79 credit on an ebay gift certificate I need to use on of these days. I'd like to buy some OA with it, but nowadays nothing I dig would be priced that way. 6 or 7 years ago you could actually gets some good BA pages from 2d tier artists for that much, but no longer.

I had a goal of buying a Hulk #1,getting a Caliber Presents #1,and a full run of the first Crow mini.I also wanted to get a little closer to finishing my run of Amazing Spider-Man,all was achieved.

Here's a Big Thank you to all who helped me in my quest this year. Rick for the Hulk#1, Nick/Bosco for all the Crow goodness,Bob Storms and Harley Yee for the Spideys. :cloud9:

Rick I'll be talking to you about my next big grail for SDCC,Showcase #22 4.5-5.0 (thumbs u

Just looked up my response to that thread. As I'm very goal oriented I had to set a few. Here were my stated goals for this year...

XELA airbrush covers, mainly Wonder and Startling

- scratch...love the covers but interest lies elsewhere

Lower grade Frazetta Famous Funnies run

- scratch...same as above. Picked up a NICE #214 and sold it to a boardie. Loooooove this run. Maybe some day.

Pick up atleast 1 SA mega-key (AF15,TOS39,HULK1...)

- CHECK, picked up a nice copy of TOS#39 (CGC 4.5 OWW), DD#1 (CGC 7.0) and AV#4 (CGC 7.0 OWW).

- Still looking for low grade copies of AF#15 and HULK#1 and JIM#83

Upgrade my BA keys and buy a few I still don't have

- CHECK, upgraded my IH#181, ASM#129, CONAN#1 and FF#48...all CGC 9.0 WHITE...my keeper grade/PQ. :banana:

Sell off most of my raw books and all of my CA/MA raws

- HALF CHECK, sold off a bunch but still have alot to sell. Maybe I'll be ready for the next VCC? hm

Another cover repro from Ryan Heshka (RyanH)

- I'm real close to getting back with Ryan on #2.

Make it to atleast 1 out of town convention, probably Philly

- eh, didn't make it. Planning on B-more next year though!

Overall, I had a blast in 2010. Looking forward to a successful 2011!

Accomplished:

- Bought a beater copy of ASM 3 to finish off my run.

- Finished putting together a Valiant reader set.

- Switched everything over from long to short boxes.

- Bought racks and organized by publisher (love it).

- Got rid of about 20-25 short boxes of stuff.

- Bought my first OA (Guillory Chew pages)

New Goals arising as a result of the above:

- Started working on ASM variants.

- Buy mylar bit by bit for everything.

- keep getting rid of stuff I don't want (about more 20-30 shorts)

1) Finished run of Savage Sword of Conan 1-100

2) Close to getting ASM 1-20 in slabs. Still have to do 14 and 15

3) Picked up decent copy of JIM 83

Accomplishments:

Met Frank Brunner at the CalComicCon in January

Got my first 9.9 SS

Super awesome!

Got the #1 book on my list (FF#5). Picked up a few other great books that were on my list as well. Submitted my Hansi for grading (eagerly awaiting return) and sold some art.

Best collecting year ever!!!!

I had my most exciting collecting year ever after taking several years off from even reading a new comic:

I finally picked up a nice copy of G.I. Joe #1, raw

Went to the D.C. con--my first, and got it signed by Herb Trimpe, my first personally obtained signature

Went to the VA con and got it signed by Hama (along with a bunch of ther stuff)

Got to meet Hama--the one person in the comics industry that I've most wanted to meet (I'm a Joe fan first, comic collector second in case that wasnt' already clear)

Got to meet alot of other really cool, friendly, awesome comic professionals.

Picked up my first piece of published OA

Added 6 more pieces to my small, but growing sketch collection (including one by Hama)

Submitted my first books to CGC--two Joe books for SS, should get them back in 2-3 weeks . . .

I joined these boards, which has added alot to my revitalized enthusiasm for this hobby and provided a lot of invaluable information for how to make the most out of it these days

In essence, this year, I've discovered the joy of the small con, the thrill of owning a piece of OA, and the dream of meeting one the great influences on your life. I'm actually kind of amazed that I managed to accomplish so many of my goals so quickly, without really even planning to, but opportunities lined themselves up and I was able to take advantage of them. I could honestly quit now and be happy, but I'm hoping for an even more exciting 2011 . . . this is just the beginning . . .

In essence, this year, I've discovered the joy of the small con, the thrill of owning a piece of OA, and the dream of meeting one the great influences on your life. I'm actually kind of amazed that I managed to accomplish so many of my goals so quickly, without really even planning to, but opportunities lined themselves up and I was able to take advantage of them. I could honestly quit now and be happy, but I'm hoping for an even more exciting 2011 . . . this is just the beginning . . .

Great post. I can sense the passion from your writing.

The next step is often attending cons and getting to recognize and know people so it comes to be about more than just comics but also finding like minded people.

Thanks for posting that!

(thumbs u

2010 (it's not over yet, is it?) was my transition year from collector with a full time day job to a full time dealer.

Having turned full time dealer I have to say that it's thrilling to come across some of the stuff that I have had run through my hands. The biggest shame is not being able to keep it all.

As such, my collecting trickled down to a small drip in the bucket. I sold off most of my prize books to fund my business, picked up a few little trinkets here and there and decided to only keep those books that were relatively inexpensive or relatively tough to find.

I added a few more books to by run of Whiz Comics so i am 3 or 4 issues short of having the entire run of #1-22.

I added a few more low grade GGA books to the collection that Lou and I share.

I picked up a copy of Pep #22 that I'd like to hang on for a while if possible (it was my 3rd copy this year :insane: ).

That just about sums it up for me.