• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scoring Changes

250 posts in this topic

That is exactly why I am taking care of this now and not closer to the Registry Awards. This way we will have time to address any other scoring requests but if someone says Issue X should be scored more like Issue Y, I don't have to explain that one was scored 10 years prior and used a different theory than is currently applied, rather I can just adjust the scores as necessary. ;)

I knew that the "rich getting richer" may be a temporary side effect of these changes which is why I started this thread.

Gemma, thanks for the reply and starting this thread. I do understand this will be a process.

I keep gaining points and dropping spots, lol.

I never looked very closely at the registry because i could never quite figure it out.

My 8.5 Xmen 1 worth about 12k is 8700 points. My 7.0 AF15 worth almost 30k is 7500 points.

Also, my 6.5 Showcase22 worth about 7k is significantly less points than my ASM 9.6 44 or 48 which are both about 2k books. I know it isnt all about the $ value but those seem especially out of whack.

You'd have a hard time finding someone that would rather have a 8.5 Xmen1 over a 7.0 AF15.

I gained 2700 points on my TMNT #1.

It seems just a tad off, as a TMNT 1 CGC 9.2 is worth 2,000 points, and an Albedo 2 CGC 9.2 is worth 450 points with the revisions.

I realize there is a large fan base that goes nuts over TMNT, but there is always high demand for Albedo 2's when they pop up for sale. I just can't see a 4X (+) difference in registry points value on these books.

There's a pretty big price difference between those books, though ... 12 month GPA on a TMNT #1 in 9.2 is $2,317 whereas on an Albedo #2 in the same grade it's $752 - so it makes sense that the TMNT #1 scores significantly higher than the Albedo #2.

Oh, I figured TMNT 1 would score much higher as there is a greater demand for that book.

It was the 4X (+) registry point value difference that seemed excessive.

• Administrator

I'll look into it when I'm done...

Speaking of which, I only have to work on Iron Man and I will be completed with this section of the updates/changes, so please feel free to start suggesting some adjustments to the sets that were affected.

Speaking of which, I only have to work on Iron Man and I will be completed with this section of the updates/changes, so please feel free to start suggesting some adjustments to the sets that were affected.

Does market value play a factor in registry points? The reason why I ask is that Action #4 and #6 CGC 5.0 unrestored have a market value of 6K each. Both of these books recieve 1800 registry points. There are several more examples I could post reguarding the Actions under #30 and the war covers.

As shown below, TMNT #1 CGC 9.2 has a market value of $2300 and recieves 2000 registry points.

It seems just a tad off, as a TMNT 1 CGC 9.2 is worth 2,000 points, and an Albedo 2 CGC 9.2 is worth 450 points with the revisions.

I realize there is a large fan base that goes nuts over TMNT, but there is always high demand for Albedo 2's when they pop up for sale. I just can't see a 4X (+) difference in registry points value on these books.

There's a pretty big price difference between those books, though ... 12 month GPA on a TMNT #1 in 9.2 is $2,317 whereas on an Albedo #2 in the same grade it's $752 - so it makes sense that the TMNT #1 scores significantly higher than the Albedo #2.

Does market value play a factor in registry points? The reason why I ask is that Action #4 and #6 CGC 5.0 unrestored have a market value of 6K each. Both of these books recieve 1800 registry points. There are several more examples I could post reguarding the Actions under #30 and the war covers.

As shown below, TMNT #1 CGC 9.2 has a market value of $2300 and recieves 2000 registry points.

It must not, or at least plays a SMALL role.

AShowcase 22 in 7.5 is 1900 registry points and sells for over $12,000. A 6.5 sells for around $7,000 but is only 1100 registry points which is 500 points less than an ASM 44 or 48 9.6 which are $2,000ish books..

Also, like i pointed out in a previous post, an AF15 in 7.0 is only 7500 registry points. Try finding that for less than $28,000 or so. My 8.0 Batman 3 is only about a $6000 book but is worth 60 more registry points than the AF15 ???

Does market value play a factor in registry points? The reason why I ask is that Action #4 and #6 CGC 5.0 unrestored have a market value of 6K each. Both of these books recieve 1800 registry points.

#4 22 graded copies

11 restored

4 unrestored copies 5.0 or higher.

#6 22 graded copies

8 restored

6 unrestored copies 5.0 or higher.

There are several more examples I could post reguarding the Actions under #30 and the war covers.

Edited to add census info!

i got hammered. added about 700,000 points to doug's registry.

Knowing you have nearly all DC's in your registry did you see any upgrades on your DC sets ? I don't think I got any. It's obviously a Marvel World we live in.

Some score change suggestions.

- Rocketeer Appearances: Starslayer 2 CGC 9.8 is worth 64 points (1st Rocketeer), but Pacific Presents 1 CGC 9.8 is worth 80 points (3rd appearance of Rocketeer). The market pays much more for a Starslayer 2 than it would for a Pacific Presents 1. And a Rocketeer Special 1 CGC 9.8 comes up as 96 points, which is the 5th appearance. I'd suggest the SS #2 score higher, and even out the points for the follow-on books.

- Albedo 2: As mentioned before, this book is scored 4X less than a TMNT 1, yet it is still a high-demand book. When an Albedo 2 CGC 9.8 went up for auction recently, it sold for over $5,000. Yet, it is worth in points as much as a TMNT 1 CGC 9.2 which goes for $2,000 (2,400 points). I'd recommend a major adjustment of points for Albedo 2 across the board.

- Archer & Armstrong 0 Gold: If there is a Valiant book that is prized above others due to how tough it is to track down in high-grade condition, right behind Harbinger 1 is Archer & Armstrong 0 Gold. Yet a Harbinger 1 is 960 points, and A&A 0 Gold is 200 points. The market value of Harbinger 1 has come down drastically, yet A&A 0 Gold has remained fairly stable if you can even track one down for sale. I'd recommend a major adjustment to A&A 0 Gold to account for the market appreciation for this book.

• Administrator

Knowing you have nearly all DC's in your registry did you see any upgrades on your DC sets ? I don't think I got any. It's obviously a Marvel World we live in.

This was one thing I noticed about this change also, it seemed to mostly affect Marvel sets. However I am willing to re-assess the DC sets as I am sure the ones that were created years ago are no longer accurate. It does take some time to update an entire set, but I am definitely willing to do so!

Suggested thus far:

Wonder Woman

Showcase

Action Comics

Amazing Fantasy 15 (spans several sets)

Please note that any scoring changes from this thread are going to delay the addition of new sets, but I felt that it was best to get the original sets up to par before adding the new titles. (thumbs u

Please note that any scoring changes from this thread are going to delay the addition of new sets, but I felt that it was best to get the original sets up to par before adding the new titles. (thumbs u

Makes perfect sense to try and lay the right points groundwork over adding more and more sets.

:applause:

My silver surfer run differs from my TTA- for the same 2 books....TTA 92, 93

In silver surfer TTA 92 gets 400pts and TTA 93 -800 pts

In TTA 92 gets 380pts, and 93 750pts.

Also noticed Incredible hulk 180,181, and 182...dropped considerably. Infact my entire set dropped 6500 pts

I think I dropped 20 places on the CGC rank...hoping there are more up-ticks to come

Gemma...do you have more changes to be made for Sub Mariner..or TTA

Thanks, and great work

I only ask you to consider Doc Joe's sanity and re-evaluate the non-key, high-grade, 30-year old BA books that now get points equivalent to moderns fresh off the shelf.

I got more points on my Wolverine:The Origin and Wolverine Limited Series sets :whee:

Wow - you're not kidding...

Wolverine LS #1 (1982) - 600 points for 9.8 - 1039 graded at 9.8

Wolverine LS #2 (1982) - 440 points for 9.8 - 334 graded at 9.8

Punisher LS #1 (1986) - 160 points for 9.8 - 78 graded at 9.8

Punisher LS #2 (1986) - 80 points for 9.8 - 60 graded at 9.8

GI Joe #1 (1982) - 240 points for 9.8 - 229 graded at 9.8

GI Joe #2 (1982) - 200 points for 9.8 - 39 graded at 9.8

Transformers #1 (1984) - 120 points for 9.8 - 193 graded at 9.8

Transformers #2 (1984) - 80 points for 9.8 - 102 graded at 9.8

As for price... not 100% sure about these but I think that the #1 of these goes for about $200.00 for a 9.8 copy (give or take) - I'm sure someone can check GPA.

A nice bump and Wolverine is awesome but it seems a little bit skewed... I don't understand how it works and what it's based on and I'm not concerned or complaining in the least (even if all my scores were multiplied by 10 I still wouldn't run with the big boys! lol) Just find it interesting for conversation purposes.

Seems like the HG's got the biggest bumps.

My ASM 48 9.6 went from 800 points to 1650 points but my ASM 52 9.4 only went from 400 to 480. My 7.0 AF15 didnt gain any points though.

Most of my early Avengers, especially the 9.6's, doubled their points or more. It doesnt look like any of my Xmen gained any points regardless of grade.

Iron man 1 in 9.4 stayed at 1700 points but Iron Man 3 in 9.4 jumped from 175 to 495!

I think i'm more confused now than before lol

This was one thing I noticed about this change also, it seemed to mostly affect Marvel sets. However I am willing to re-assess the DC sets as I am sure the ones that were created years ago are no longer accurate. It does take some time to update an entire set, but I am definitely willing to do so!

Suggested thus far:

Wonder Woman

Showcase

Action Comics

Amazing Fantasy 15 (spans several sets)

Gemma, addressing some DC sets would be appreciated by many around here, thanks. I think holding off on new sets is fine.

How about the Brave and Bold, Justice League of America, and Adventure. These were surely set up early and need addressing.