• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IS IT POSSIBLE TO FAKE A CGC-SLABBED BOOK?

136 posts in this topic

If the corner posts are broken, yes. Otherwise, no.

Unless it`s a counterfeit plastic case, in which case the corner posts will not be an indicator.

You'd still have to swap the inner label and since the label is welded to the inner well plastic and will tear either plastic, label or both when removed it's really, really tough to do.

In theory, you are right. In practice, it's not that way at all.

Unless it`s a counterfeit plastic case, in which case the corner posts will not be an indicator.

You'd still have to swap the inner label and since the label is welded to the inner well plastic and will tear either plastic, label or both when removed it's really, really tough to do.

Old label or new label slabs?

I think I've cracked in excess of 1000 slabs.

I don't think I've ever been able to remove a label without damaging it on a new style label and I've never been able to crack a slab without doing irreversible damage.

Now yes, the older slabs were a bit easier to do but still, we're talking odds here.

Anything is possible, but not always likely.

I don't think I've ever been able to remove a label without damaging it on a new style label

I have.

and I've never been able to crack a slab without doing irreversible damage.

I have many times. My success rate is about 40%.

I don't think I've ever been able to remove a label without damaging it on a new style label

I have.

how?...to crack a slab is to break at least one corner post, otherwise, how do you crack it?

I have.

how?...to crack a slab is to break at least one corner post, otherwise, how do you crack it?

You need to think more nefarious Rick.

If somebody sees a slab with an already popped post and tests the others only to see they can slide out the inner well easily...well they start thinking.

Same with the label, be it old or new. A loose label invites temptation.

The rest explains itself. There are instances where a failed clamshell, or label could allow one to try and swap out one book for another. I even made a thread about it years ago.

Do I think this is a rampant process? NO. Could it go undetected under close scrutiny?..NO

Could it happen on Ebay, or at Cons?, sure. But if caught..the dirt bag would be roasted.

And fwiw, I think CGC could tighten up their quality control with their crimping on the tamper proof labels, I have had many slide free of their welds recently. But their innerwell and clamshell welds seems MUCH stronger then before.

I have had to crack open more then a few recently that fought me all the way. The old days of thumbnails to crack a slab, and pulling innerwells apart by hand seem long gone.

As I've stated before, comics would not be hard to counterfeit if someone had the money to invest in what was needed. A slab is no different. Everything used to slab a book can be reverse engineered and counterfeited. If US currency with all of its deterrents is made near perfect by borderline amateurs then think of what would happen if an organized group decided to "get into" the hobby. They would never be caught. The product would be most likely made in Korea. These people are on mark when it comes to counterfeiting.

So far we've seen scammers left and right dealing comics. Thankfully these Lone Rangers think small and only care about next weeks haul. Their time and effort invested in playing with slabs is minimal compared to what could happen.

And fwiw, I think CGC could tighten up their quality control with their crimping on the tamper proof labels, I have had many slide free of their welds recently. But their inner and outer welds seems MUCH stronger then before.

I have had to crack open more then a few recently that fought me all the way. The old days of thumbnails to crack a slab, and pulling innerwells apart by hand seem long gone.

I was under the impression that they have recently.

I would think adhering to the mantra, "buy the book not the number," would protect one in a great many possible situations like this (but obviously not all).

Yup, that and dealing with an ethical seller.

(thumbs u

Yes. It's possible.

Unless, you believe I'm the owner of the Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 9.4 White Mountain Ped.

PB060006.jpg

Here is another pic that shows the corners.

PB060005-Copy.jpg

ALWAYS do the following before buying an expensive slab online from a seller you haven't dealt with before.

1.) Request a picture of the book if it's not already provided.

2.) Call CGC for the grader's notes

3.) Compare their notes to the picture and make sure it matches.

I think there is more frad potential with 9.8 books being replaced with 9.6.

Let me also state very clearly. I'm not a scammer, dealer, or frequent seller. I have a feedback thread here, and my eBay name is the same as the one here if you want to check.

I made the FAKE above myself. I did it about 2 years ago before I was able to afford a real copy. Just for fun. It does make peoples mouths drop to the floor when I show it to people at first glance.

I gave it to a friend one time at a show very casually saying "I just bought this, can you hold it for a second while I open my bag." He almost dropped it he was in such a state of shock. lol

It looks terrible from the back, because I wasn't putting any effort in to trying to scam someone. The inner well was cut by me, and the book was slid in. However, as the discussion in this thread stated, if you had another book graded you could easily slide a different inner well inside.

The label and image of the book were copied from Heritages auction archive I think. (Or where ever that book last sold and had a picture.) Or the book image may have been taken from Matt Nelson's site. I honestly don't remember. Both were then simply printed on my computer.

The original book was an ASM #39 I cracked. (I'm keeping my ASM run raw.) It was NOT an old label. The outer well just separated cleanly at the top 2 corners. The bottom two never separated.

I think what's scary is that I was able to make a decent fake with very little effort.

I think what's scary is that I was able to make a decent fake with very little effort.

Buying a book through a small grainy picture is one thing...anything is possible, but buying a book while being able to hold it in hand is something completely different.

Agreed, that if you didn't pay attention something like glue on the side of the outer well could slip past your radar under the illusion of being untampered, but I've seen tampered slabs (by "pros" who have tried to get them past Joe collector) and it's not that difficult to catch...book may not match the grade, corner posts will have some sort of glue on them...it just won't look right.

Again, buy the book and not the label and deal with an ethical seller.

I would think adhering to the mantra, "buy the book not the number," would protect one in a great many possible situations like this (but obviously not all).

How can you accurately grade a book that`s in a slab (authentic or otherwise)? I`m assuming that any scammer is not stupid enough to do something as obvious as putting a 1.5 book in a 9.4 slab.

I'm afraid the answer is yes. It is possible to switch books in a CGC slab and it is even easier to switch a label.

If you own a Spidey #1 thats a CGC 4.0, you can buy a nice looking 3.0 and without all that much effort, switch the label from the one to the other, and then simply resubmit the deslabbed 4.0.

It might not pass an experts examination, but it could easily pass a casual examination at a show.

Its not a matter of putting the weaker book into the stronger slab, its a matter of switching the labels.

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

China has been faking coin slabs for years so you guys bring up a good point.

hm

I'm afraid the answer is yes. It is possible to switch books in a CGC slab and it is even easier to switch a label.

If you own a Spidey #1 thats a CGC 4.0, you can buy a nice looking 3.0 and without all that much effort, switch the label from the one to the other, and then simply resubmit the deslabbed 4.0.

It might not pass an experts examination, but it could easily pass a casual examination at a show.

Its not a matter of putting the weaker book into the stronger slab, its a matter of switching the labels.

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

China has been faking coin slabs for years so you guys bring up a good point.

hm

They also make perfect mint copies of the coins that are in these fake slabs too.

I have.

Wonder what a heat gun strategically applied to the corner would do to soften/weaken the joint? I really hope this is doesn't become a real issue because we all know if there is a way to scam then scamming will occur.