• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color-blind Thor casting sparks hate-group outrage

377 posts in this topic

It's not as if Marvel's version of Asgard and it's God's sticks strictly to Norse myths, is it?

You're right. I bet Queen Latifah wouldn't be near as big a person_without_enough_empathy if they cast her as a white woman. hm

Didn't realize you had a Latifah fetish.

Black or white Latifah?

Either works for me.

Interesting..... hm

Yes dear.

What, you think Queen Latifah is ugly...?

It's not as if Marvel's version of Asgard and it's God's sticks strictly to Norse myths, is it?

You're right. I bet Queen Latifah wouldn't be near as big a person_without_enough_empathy if they cast her as a white woman. hm

Didn't realize you had a Latifah fetish.

Black or white Latifah?

Either works for me.

Interesting..... hm

Yes dear.

What, you think Queen Latifah is ugly...?

I've always thought Dana was kind of hot.

"Discriminatory behaviors take many forms, but they all involve some form of exclusion or rejection." -United Nations CyberSchoolBus.

The trend of color-blind casting in Hollywood is certainly not without precedent, if one considers the lack of discrimination in other areas such as creed, religion, national origin or sexual orientation.

Color-blind casting is just more noticeable.

For an example, how many people complained about a Quaker playing a prominent Hindu leader when casting Ben Kingsley as Gandhi? Hollywood has cast many Christians playing Jews in such roles as Shylock in The Merchant of Venice.

For decades Rock Hudson played the role of a romantic leading (straight) man despite many people close to him knowing his correct sexual orientation. Neil Patrick Harris plays a straight man on television and no one seems to mind.

I guess it’s easier to accept stuff like that than the obvious black on white.

dis•crim•i•na•tion

2. Treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.

2c

edit: I removed a quote that was originally in my post, because on reflection it appeared that I could be chastising a fellow board member. That was not my intent, as I thought the post was originally meant to be funny / sarcastic. On the surface it summed up the reason for my response...

What's next - casting a Swede as Charlie Chan?

"Discriminatory behaviors take many forms, but they all involve some form of exclusion or rejection." -United Nations CyberSchoolBus.

The trend of color-blind casting in Hollywood is certainly not without precedent, if one considers the lack of discrimination in other areas such as creed, religion, national origin or sexual orientation.

For an example, how many people complained about a Quaker playing a prominent Hindu leader when casting Ben Kingsley as Gandhi? Hollywood has cast many Christians playing Jews in such roles as Shylock in The Merchant of Venice.

For decades Rock Hudson played the role of a romantic leading (straight) man despite many people close to him knowing his correct sexual orientation. Neil Patrick Harris plays a straight man on television and no one seems to mind.

dis•crim•i•na•tion

2. Treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.

2c

Although it is a well thought out and reasoned argument, this whole thread is smelling of politics. :rulez:

I would be O.K. with casting a Swede as Charlie Chan :grin: , or a white guy as the Black Panther, Luke Cage or Oprah Winfrey, as long as it was done well.

Linda Hunt as Billy Kwan in The Year of Living Dangerously is one of my favorite Oscar winning performances.

Although it is a well thought out and reasoned argument, this whole thread is smelling of politics. :rulez:

Sorry. Should I remove my post(s)? I don't want to break any rules. :eek:

Don't listen to me! If this thread is allowed to live on, there should at least be some logical posts in it. (thumbs u

Thanks! I did edit my original post, as it had some implications that I didn't intend. It was your response that prompted me to re-read my post and think twice about it, for that I am thankful.

I don't post very often because I'm not very good at expressing my thoughts without ambiguity. Writing has never been my strong point.

I love these boards, I enjoy the way most members can clearly articulate their views, and I would never write (type) anything meant to be disrespectful to anyone.

Except Dupcack (sp).

How much of Heimdall's face do you actually see. I don't think I have ever seen him without that huge helmut. This group is no different than the group complaining about the lack of black villians. I think they get too much press and the OP was too much.

BTW, I like the Queen Latifah idea. hm

she could slap loki when he is up to his shenanigans

i wouldn't mess with her

dis•crim•i•na•tion

2c

Yes, this is all very good, but I think it is valid to object to racial miscasting at times.

Personally I'm fine with a black Heimdall. I wouldn't be watching Thor for an accurate portrayal of Norse mythology, and he's a god - he can look like whatever he wants. All I want from a Thor movie is entertainment, and if the actor is entertaining in the role, then it's good casting.

I think it can be offensive to change race when the character in question has race as a defining characteristic. One of the main points about Luke Cage or Black Panther is that they are black. It's a defining characteristic. They don't just 'happen' to be black, it's part of their reason for being. Not so Spiderman. Stan Lee didn't say "Hey I've got an idea! How about we create a white superhero! He could fight crime and do commentary on white issues at the same time!".

An example that offended me was the casting of Earthsea. The whole adaptation was beyond atrocious, but that's beside the point. When Ursula LeGuin wrote A Wizard of Earthsea she deliberately designed the lead character, and most of the people in the world of Earthsea, as 'non-white'. He is described as copper skinned, something like native Americans. She did this because she felt the fantasy genre was invariably a whitewash, and she wanted to create something that someone other than white kids could relate to for a change.

The racial makeup of the people of Earthsea is important to its author, and to many fans who felt empowered by the book (it was published in 1968). So, when the horrible TV adaptation came along and whitewashed Earthsea, it rightly offended many people including LeGuin.

but kingsley actually looked a heck of a lot like ghandi

I vote for Charlie Sheen playing Tiger Woods in his autobiography movie if it would ever hit the screen. Can Mel Gibson please play Mel Gibson? I want to see him recreate those phone calls.

The possible difference between a hate group and a legitimate hate group may just be an EIN number?