• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there any logical reason for this?

40 posts in this topic

So after signing up for GPA today, I've been browsing through plenty of books just out of boredom. I decided to look up Amazing Spider-Man #129, and I find this sales data which is absolutely ridiculous.

9.8 Last Sale (November 2010) $5,378

9.8 Suscha News Pedigree Last Sale (November 2010) $13,000

I'm left wondering, what kind of person values a "pedigree" book to the extent that they would spend almost $8,000 more on it, instead of a book in the same condition that simply lacks the "pedigree" designation.

Maybe it's just me? Would anyone else here spend $8,000 more simply because it's a pedigree? I can understand maybe a couple hundred, but that's pushing it... $8,000 though!?

He's a real nowhere man, sitting in his nowhere land, making all his nowhere plans for nobody.

Bravo!

...on a side note, this thread went off-topic during the first response. That's never a good sign.

Get use to it. De-railing is a way of life here. Hey Dice. :hi:

DR.X

He's a real nowhere man, sitting in his nowhere land, making all his nowhere plans for nobody.

Bravo!

...on a side note, this thread went off-topic during the first response. That's never a good sign.

lol

At least it wasn't homoerotic (shrug)

So after signing up for GPA today, I've been browsing through plenty of books just out of boredom. I decided to look up Amazing Spider-Man #129, and I find this sales data which is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm left wondering, what kind of person values a "pedigree" book to the extent that they would spend almost $8,000 more on it, instead of a book in the same condition that simply lacks the "pedigree" designation.

Maybe it's just me? Would anyone else here spend $8,000 more simply because it's a pedigree? I can understand maybe a couple hundred, but that's pushing it... $8,000 though!?

Well to be fair the last sale of ASM 129 9.8 does not really represent the true value of the book over the past couple of years.

On commonly traded books looking at the 12 month average only makes sense, so the book is closer to a $7500-$8000 dollar book.

Yes there are people who would spent insane amounts of money on a pedigree book, however usually these kind of people have funds where they will put a IDC kind of bid in cause money is no object to them.

If you are a multi-millionaire you can't be bothered trying to take chance and being outbid at fair market value. So they just bid crazy and rest amazes us.

So when you have a buyer that has that, "I have to have it for my collection" mentality with big wallet to back it up you have stupid money being thrown away. (shrug)

I mean I bought the ASM #28 CGC 8.5 Suscha News book, and I spent probably $75-100 more to get, but my last bid was my max.

If the book went for like $1200 bucks I would have bowed well before that.

Bravo!

lol

At least it wasn't homoerotic (shrug)

This is true....

No, it's not just you. Sometimes I question the sanity of buyers.

:insane:

Well to be fair the last sale of ASM 129 9.8 does not really represent the true value of the book over the past couple of years.

On commonly traded books looking at the 12 month average only makes sense, so the book is closer to a $7500-$8000 dollar book.

Yes there are people who would spent insane amounts of money on a pedigree book, however usually these kind of people have funds where they will but a IDC kind of bid in cause money is no object to them.

If you are a multi-millionaire you can't be bothered trying to take chance and being outbid at fair market value. So they just bid crazy and rest amazes us.

So when you have a buyer that has that, "I have to have it for my collection" mentality with big wallet to back it up you have stupid money being thrown away. (shrug)

True, the 12 month is higher, but you're still paying 4-5 thousand dollars more. I understand the logic behind the rich buyer making sure he gets the book, I was more so just interested in seeing if anyone here would justify throwing more money at a "pedigree".

By your logic though, I need to find someone who just "has to have" some Silver Sable books I have lying around...

Yes there are people who would spent insane amounts of money on a pedigree book, however usually these kind of people have funds where they will but a IDC kind of bid in cause money is no object to them.

True, the 12 month is higher, but you're still paying 4-5 thousand dollars more. I understand the logic behind the rich buyer making sure he gets the book, I was more so just interested in seeing if anyone here would justify throwing more money at a "pedigree".

By your logic though, I need to find someone who just "has to have" some Silver Sable books I have lying around...

If you have the first 9.6/9.8 of a given ASM or FF book in the SA there are 3 obvious buyers that will pay you more money that you would expect for the book.

I tend to agree with John about pedigree. It's much like the provenance of a painting, where an established history can increase a paintings value tremendously relative to similar paintings by the same artist.

There are collectors who place a very high value on not only an artists work, but what happened to said work until it came to be in their possession.

I tend to agree with John about pedigree. It's much like the provenance of a painting, where an established history can increase a paintings value tremendously relative to similar paintings by the same artist.

There are collectors who place a very high value on not only an artists work, but what happened to said work until it came to be in their possession.

Yeah, I hear ya Mike. And I've paid a good bit more for pedigree books in the past, but "Suscha News Pedigree, really?

Stop it oh ye pedigree designators. Any collection that contains books as recent as ASM 129 should not be considered a pedigree. Just bonkers if you ask me.

Yeah, I hear ya Mike. And I've paid a good bit more for pedigree books in the past, but "Suscha News Pedigree, really?

Stop it oh ye pedigree designators. Any collection that contains books as recent as ASM 129 should not be considered a pedigree. Just bonkers if you ask me.

Not sure that's a deal breaker, but the collection probably shouldn't start at ASM 121. ;)

I completely agree with you on the particular pedigree designation. When I first heard about pedigree collections I envisioned the Holy Grail type long boxes, procured from the vault of a Howard Hughes type, containing true GA keys and runs.

A guy handpicking some books from a distributor a couple of decades ago, isn't that impressive.