• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK 181 CGC 9.9?
1 1

488 posts in this topic

many HG copies are stashed away in private collections and will never see the light of day, unless the collector passes or needs $$$. they're not all press and resubmit books. you're hatred of pressing has blinded you. :baiting:

lol I`m fully aware of that. If you go back and read threads from 2004 and 2005, I actually made posts saying that not every ultra-HG book was a press job, particularly BA books, because anyone who had been collecting for a while would realize just how many pristine books were sitting untouched in collections.

However, the sheer volume of pressing over the past few years has caused me to change my tune, because it does seem like whatever COULD be worth pressing does end up getting pressed at some point. What makes me sad, and one reason I crusade against pressing, is that the pressed books have tainted everything else, since we don`t know which books are pressed and which are genuine and end up just tarring everything with the same brush.

I emjoy reading your posts, but I believe you have become paranoid about presed books. I press books here and there, and usually end up sellig them for whatever reason. But ever since CGC changed the BA/MA tier dates I would think there are less BA books being pressed, since profit on many "average" books are barely worth slabbing alone, so adding extra shipping and another 10-15 bucks doesnt make sense from a business standpoint. And I am sure there are plenty of 9.8s to be had out there, this book is from the age of bags and boards and collectors. There will likely be another 9.9, IDK if pressing will help it though.

Like I said, I like your posts. But I think you have become paranoid about rampant pressing.

I am not anti-pressing, at all. But I would be willing to bet that more books have been pressed in the last 24 months than were pressed from the delivery of the first copy of Obadiah Oldbuck forward. I mean how many people opened their own business pressing books in the last 24 months. Before that who was doing it for others other than Matt?

Oh mess. Did this just become a pressing thread? Screw you, Hui!

Im saying books that are just run fillers arent being pressed like mad. Most people pressing 100 plus books are doing so for monetary gain. If there is no gain, why press?

many HG copies are stashed away in private collections and will never see the light of day, unless the collector passes or needs $$$. they're not all press and resubmit books. you're hatred of pressing has blinded you. :baiting:

lol I`m fully aware of that. If you go back and read threads from 2004 and 2005, I actually made posts saying that not every ultra-HG book was a press job, particularly BA books, because anyone who had been collecting for a while would realize just how many pristine books were sitting untouched in collections.

However, the sheer volume of pressing over the past few years has caused me to change my tune, because it does seem like whatever COULD be worth pressing does end up getting pressed at some point. What makes me sad, and one reason I crusade against pressing, is that the pressed books have tainted everything else, since we don`t know which books are pressed and which are genuine and end up just tarring everything with the same brush.

I emjoy reading your posts, but I believe you have become paranoid about presed books. I press books here and there, and usually end up sellig them for whatever reason. But ever since CGC changed the BA/MA tier dates I would think there are less BA books being pressed, since profit on many "average" books are barely worth slabbing alone, so adding extra shipping and another 10-15 bucks doesnt make sense from a business standpoint. And I am sure there are plenty of 9.8s to be had out there, this book is from the age of bags and boards and collectors. There will likely be another 9.9, IDK if pressing will help it though.

Like I said, I like your posts. But I think you have become paranoid about rampant pressing.

I am not anti-pressing, at all. But I would be willing to bet that more books have been pressed in the last 24 months than were pressed from the delivery of the first copy of Obadiah Oldbuck forward.

Here, let me fix that for you. "I would be willing to bet that more books have been pressed in the last 24 months than were pressed from the delivery of the first copy of Obadiah Oldbuck to that point."

As it stands, both contentions are to the present day, which would make your hypothesis logically incorrect.

ROLFMAOOMGWTFBBQ.

Chainnball says "suck it and he loves you."

I am not anti-pressing, at all. But I would be willing to bet that more books have been pressed in the last 24 months than were pressed from the delivery of the first copy of Obadiah Oldbuck forward.

Here, let me fix that for you. "I would be willing to bet that more books have been pressed in the last 24 months than were pressed from the delivery of the first copy of Obadiah Oldbuck to that point."

As it stands, both contentions are to the present day, which would make your hypothesis incorrect.

ROLFMAOOMGWTFBBQ.

Owned by a giant dork. Happy Christmas. :P

As it stands, both contentions are to the present day, which would make your hypothesis incorrect.

ROLFMAOOMGWTFBBQ.

Owned by a giant dork. Happy Christmas. :P

lol

:cloud9:

Did this book go up for auction yet? I don't feel like re-reading this whole thread.

It's in the for sale marketplace and not the auction. Sticker price is $150K with an unaccepted bid of $80K.

Unaccepted? Either the guy has deep pockets and simply doesn't care or thinks he picked the lucky 6. What's a reasonable bump in price for a 1/100th grade point on a very common book? It's not too hard to find one in 9.8 and from that same site the highest anyone has been willing to pay for one is about 14k. Can someone tell me the real difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9 beside 0.1?

Edited by passion4comics

Did this book go up for auction yet? I don't feel like re-reading this whole thread.

It's in the for sale marketplace and not the auction. Sticker price is $150K with an unaccepted bid of $80K.

Unaccepted? Either the guy has deep pockets and simply doesn't care or thinks he picked the lucky 6. What's a reasonable bump in price for a 1/100th grade point on a very common book? It's not too hard to find one in 9.8 and from that same site the highest anyone has been willing to pay for one is about 14k. Can someone tell me the real difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9 beside 0.1?

+1

If I had the 9.9 and was offered 80K for it, it would be gone so fast.

Turning a 25-cent investment into 80k is even beyond Warren Buffett's class and a one in a million chance. I bet a nice 9.8 replacement would look just as good.

You're going to be dead a long time. Enjoy life while you can. 80k can bring you a lot of enjoyment for that lucky 0.1 bump.

Turning a 25-cent investment into 80k is even beyond Warren Buffett's class and a one in a million chance. I bet a nice 9.8 replacement would look just as good.

You're going to be dead a long time. Enjoy life while you can. 80k can bring you a lot of enjoyment for that lucky 0.1 bump.

The person who owns this book did not slab it. They paid way more than a quarter for it.

Why buy a 9.9 or 10.0 when the books can easily get damaged in the holder and wind up more like 9.8s? I'm sure that mostly all experienced collectors know this. It may be a competitive thing if you find yourself buying 9.9s and 10.0s, to have the best copy. ME! I have the best! NOT YOU! lol What happens when you drop the slab on the floor though and it cracks open? or the comic slides around over time, corners get rounded.. Uh oh there goes your ego and your money!! not practical, a bad investment. The only market is in the eccentric collector, who bases their collecting trends on their own insecurities in needing the best, rather than fact. A 10.0 is put in a barax bladder, not mylar. will it be 10.0 still when the comic is sticking to the barax in a few years? never know since it will never attempt to be removed right? It's a 10.0 only inside the CGC world, inside the slab. You can never touch it, and it's not a 10.0 on planet Earth, outside of the slab. A non-archival material is going to keep my comic a 10.0? or was it never a 10.0 to begin with. EYE CANDY.. A 10.0 is a 9.9 is a 9.8. A 9.9 is a 9.8. I submit 50 copies of a comic, they give me all 9.8s. Call them up and complain. See what they do for you :) Hmm so many 9.8s just turned into 9.9s!!! how did that happen??!! Suckers learn the hard way. If you speak up, you will learn more about what 9.8 or 9.9 or 10.0 really means. It means something different to EACH collector out there, and it means even LESS to the CGC. You want to receive the glory and attention that you think others will find in you upon seeing your 9.9s and 10.0s!!. but lots of others just laugh at you :( wise up hulk 181 9.9 buyer, if you are out there.

The 9.8 is the marketable grade for the hulk 181. Give me your 9.9 and I'll find several problems with it, whoever winds up buying it. Mostly all 9.9s and 10.0s over time will appear to be 9.8s. Put your 9.9 or 10.0 in the hands of another collector, and watch him pick apart your book, pointing out all the flaws.. You won't feel good, as you grab the slab back out of his hands lol!! I have a few 9.9s of 1980s marvels, and they are more like 9.8s. One of the 9.9s has a noticeable spine stress mark on it. .I bought the comic years ago because it was the only 9.9. And it still is, being a key 1980s marvel. but its not a 9.9. but there needs to be a 9.9 to stimulate the market and keep it alive!! and when I sell it for thousands of dollars in a few years, the buyer will ACCEPT it as a 9.9. Pass it from sucker to sucker. that's how the CGC game works. You trust their grading, so that earns you the money. Hell I can bend the case right now and put more spine stress marks on it. Was your seller sitting there bending your case over and over and over before he shipped it to you? possibly, if he doesn't like you :) Is it against the CGC terms of usage to have fun in trying to downgrade a crappy comic by bending the slab over and over. Slabs bend easily you know without cracking.. They are not completely firm. Gee why half the time that a buy a 9.6 does it look more like a 9.4 or 9.2?? HMMMMM??.. how many times will this happen to me?!

i know, i analyze things too much. it's just my opinions in the matter. i have nothing against any 9.9 or 10.0 collector out there. More power to ya's. I don't wish for anyone to take my comments personally. I am an older school purist type of collector, and I like my books raw at times. I have my opinions on the CGC, as we all do. I sell too though, so I am a slave in their castle anyways. as most sellers must sell some slabs in order to stay in business these days..