• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK 181 CGC 9.9?
1 1

488 posts in this topic

A bid of 80K is on the table. Unknown whether real or shill.

I can see 80k offer on this book for someone who has unlimited funds to obtain the best graded copy of Wolverine out there. Whether the book actually is a 9.9 currently is another question.

Just went on sale on Comiclink for $150k. HERE.

Is a 9.9 really worth that much?

Wow, what's up with that URHC?

Scans can be deceiving, but it doesn't look like a 9.9 to me.

Has anyone actually seen the book in hand and confirmed that there is SCS on the book?

The reason I ask is because you can't tell anything from that carpy scan. At least I can't.

There's all this talk of SCS on the book but all of this talk is coming from a poor scan at best. , the book looks like an 8.5, I can count 15 spine stresses but I'd bet money that they aren't there in real life.

For all you know that corner is just gently bent down, and in that case there is really nothing wrong with the book.

I'd have to say that there is nothing wrong with the book unless we see a clearer scan or someone with first hand experience has a better look at the book.

The only reason I even brought it up is because the book has had talk around it for years relating to slab damage.

Not with the new cases. With the old cases, I wouldn't trust a 9.9 to move across the room without being damaged.

If that's true, then doesn't CGC have some liability here? If folks have been trusting their product (including the cases) and said cases are actually DAMAGING the books......well, the lawyers will have a field day. :whistle:

Not sure, although the old label does make me think so, that I saw that book about a decade ago at SD. The price then was $60K.

At the time, that was probably 2x a 9.8. Since 9.8s have taken a dive since it's basically madness to list this book at $150k. That's something like 10-12x the 9.8 price.

If it just makes it into your 100K-list I'l go see a shrink .... :P

Hah! lol I might join you, I've thought a 9.9 of this book was worth something like $60-75k, so the leap into six figures would be an eye opener.

A bid of 80K is on the table. Unknown whether real or shill.

I think the asking price is just that...an asking price. I imagine, and this is strictly speculation on my part, that Josh has been after this book for years. In fact, it's mentioned in the description. Comic Link probably "wore down" the owner till he relented. The seller probably would only really sell it if he got stoooppidd money for it...so he put it up there for crazy money.

All the while, he's thinking, if it sells, then "Wow !"...I hit the lottery....If not, he's probably happy to keep it.

Me personally, I would never spend that kind of money or even close to it for a book as common in high grade as that one. Hulk 1 9.2. AF 15 9.4, Detective 38 Allentown copy, Detective 27 and Action 1 (in grade equal to this price) , or even JIM 83 9.2 are books I think are worth this kind of money...Both in theory and practice.

Not sure, although the old label does make me think so, that I saw that book about a decade ago at SD. The price then was $60K.

At the time, that was probably 2x a 9.8. Since 9.8s have taken a dive since it's basically madness to list this book at $150k. That's something like 10-12x the 9.8 price.

Yes, but the argument could be made that at the time, it was expected that another 9.9 copy might emerge. Instead, 10 years later, it`s still the only 9.9, thus affirming its value as a unique copy whereas the 9.8s have been dragged down by increasing quantity.

I was going to say the same thing. Is this the "Hawaii" book? Thought I remember discussing the 50K price tag at one point. Or was that a 9.8 at 25?

I was going to say the same thing. Is this the "Hawaii" book? Thought I remember discussing the 50K price tag at one point. Or was that a 9.8 at 25?

And didn't someone mention in that old thread that two board members have actually held this book, and there was some corner damage?

Search Function - save us!

doh!

I found the thread where it was being discussed last year.

Hey, about that Hulk 181 CGC 9.9...

Edited by Bosco685

so they replaced it with another copy in the same grade.

:o

Talk about epic win. Lt tan to ow/w?niiiice

Pick your poison...off-centered w/writing vs. tanning, but yeah, I'd take the OW/W copy as well.

i was surprised at how fast CGC found another copy to replace it with. :whee:

Wasn`t there a thread how some boardie submitted his TOS 49 to CGC and they claimed it never arrived?

Seriously, though, what does it mean that they would not reholder the book due to SCS? I thought the only reason a book couldn`t be slabbed was overhang. SCS could LOWER the grade of a book, but I don`t see why it would make a book unslabbable. Shouldn`t it have been YOUR decision, rather than CGC`s, whether the book should be reholdered, even if at a lower grade? Suppose the book had sentimental value to you for some reason?

A comic is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Anyway, no.

Yup, but I still think the $80k bid is nutz...let alone the $150k asking..it's a BA book! But, every owner has a right to ask what they want. :applause: Ton of GA can be had for $150k...from the scans, the 9.9 does not look too impressive...save money and buy one of the 9.8s on CLINK. Edited by Primetime

Yes, but the argument could be made that at the time, it was expected that another 9.9 copy might emerge. Instead, 10 years later, it`s still the only 9.9, thus affirming its value as a unique copy whereas the 9.8s have been dragged down by increasing quantity.

Yeah, an increasing spread is definitely realistic. My estimate of this thing's value (before it was listed) was creeping into the 5-7x the 9.8 value range. That said, I feel like $150,000 is a sooooooper aggressive price.