• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK 181 CGC 9.9?
1 1

488 posts in this topic

What I DO know is that a Hulk 181 in 9.6 white with outstanding cover registration, as this particular example might now actually grade, goes for less than $7K.

Which is still too much for an ultra-common BA book, no matter whose first appearance is inside.

I reckon this means you think the comic should be in less demand. Because given the extremely high demand for high grade copies of it, the price is not too much and hasn't been for the past several years, during which pricing has stayed steady. Perhaps it's time to come to grips with the superior overall popularity of SA and BA Marvels over DCs. :grin:

Also, since it's all about scarcity, does this mean you're collecting the truly scarce Platinum Age or hand-printed Underground comics now? :baiting:

does a 9.9 get an extra layer of scrutiny at cgc?

Yes.

9.9s and 10s are, as I have been told, inspected IN the case to confirm that they'll go with the grade (and actually witnessed, as I watched grades come back for all my books...except the 9.9 and 10 on my last sub.)

What I DO know is that a Hulk 181 in 9.6 white with outstanding cover registration, as this particular example might now actually grade, goes for less than $7K.

Which is still too much for an ultra-common BA book, no matter whose first appearance is inside.

Plus, it`s not even really a first appearance.

+1. Hulk 181 is so common it is scary. I actually can't imagine paying more than 1k to 2k for a 9.6 and even that would mean I was drunk when ibought it.

+1. Hulk 181 is so common it is scary. I actually can't imagine paying more than 1k to 2k for a 9.6 and even that would mean I was drunk when ibought it.

And I can't imagine paying what you pay for the comics in your collection. Despite the comics in your collection apparently being cooler than the comics in my collection. ;)

And I can't imagine paying what you pay for the comics in your collection. Despite the comics in your collection apparently being cooler than the comics in my collection. ;)

+1

While it's not a book that's of any interest to me personally, to ignore the importance of Wolverine and the scale of this book in terms of its nature as a "key" is to put personal opinion in front of reason. This handy chart will help clarify things:

Importance of Marvel Characters:

1. Spider-man

2. Wolverine

3. Who cares, it's not spider-man or Wolverine.

good for you. If you want topay that much for Hulk 181 have at it. I wouldn't do it which it what I am stating. Pretty funny that you slam me for stating my opinion of the relative value of this book (thumbs u

I seriously cannot tell the difference between a 9.6, 9.8 or a 9.9. I'm betting the thing would need to look as if it came right off the press to be considered a 9.9-10?

Most books that come off the press today won't even get a 9.6 much less 9.9. Those few books that make 9.9 and 10 are freaks of nature.

I seriously cannot tell the difference between a 9.6, 9.8 or a 9.9. I'm betting the thing would need to look as if it came right off the press to be considered a 9.9-10?

Most books that come off the press today won't even get a 9.6 much less 9.9. Those few books that make 9.9 and 10 are freaks of nature.

Yeah, open a box from diamond and pick out the potential 10.0s. There aren't many.

Yeah, open a box from diamond and pick out the potential 10.0s. There aren't many.

For the few shops I've visited and talked about comics ALL have complained heavily about Diamond. I was thinking that sitting on a shelf and being handled was banging the books around not the distributors.

I've seen this discussion before. lol

I never realized until your comment that it does in fact say on the label for #180, 1st appearance of Wolverine in cameo.

FYI there are only thirteen #180 CGC 9.8 slabs in the census as opposed to thirty eight for #181.

You can pick up a really nice CGC 9.6 slab for under a grand.

CL sale @ $777

CL sale @ $902

good for you. If you want topay that much for Hulk 181 have at it. I wouldn't do it which it what I am stating. Pretty funny that you slam me for stating my opinion of the relative value of this book (thumbs u

So the slammer claims to be the slammee, huh? You responded "+1" to the post stating that the comic is ultracommon and not worth what people are paying for it.

I would never trash another group of collectors for buying a comic they want for their collections at a price they're willing to pay, as you did with your post above.

Wow. You're high. There is NO comparison between a 9.6 and this book. NONE.

If it was so common, there'd be another 9.9 - over the past 10 years, having "the highest graded copy" has been a license to print money, so if somebody could have made a 9.9, it would have been made by now.