• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK 181 CGC 9.9?
1 1

488 posts in this topic

And, just to be overall clear:

Most recognizable comic characters to muggles:

1) Superman

2) Batman

3) Spider-Man

4) Wolverine

5) Hulk

6) Captain America

7) Wonder Woman

10000000000) everybody else.

1) Superman

2) Batman

3) Spider-Man

4) Wolverine

5) Hulk

6) Captain America

7) Wonder Woman

Ummm... Mickey Mouse, anyone?

1) Superman

2) Batman

3) Spider-Man

4) Wolverine

5) Hulk

6) Captain America

7) Wonder Woman

I would wager that the vast majority of muggles don't know Mickey Mouse (or Donald Duck) is still in a comic book.

1) Superman

2) Batman

3) Spider-Man

4) Wolverine

5) Hulk

6) Captain America

7) Wonder Woman

I would wager that the vast majority of muggles don't know Mickey Mouse (or Donald Duck) is still in a comic book.

Fair enough - but that's not what you said.

BTW - where did that panel in your sig come from?

If it was so common, there'd be another 9.9 - over the past 10 years, having "the highest graded copy" has been a license to print money, so if somebody could have made a 9.9, it would have been made by now.

So, say, not as common as Marvel Comics Presents undistributed copies of the Weapon X run?

Good - then get back to your boxes as I am still waiting. :sumo:

:baiting:

If it was so common, there'd be another 9.9 - over the past 10 years, having "the highest graded copy" has been a license to print money, so if somebody could have made a 9.9, it would have been made by now.

So, say, not as common as Marvel Comics Presents undistributed copies of the Weapon X run?

Unfortunately probably not. :(

Unfortunately probably not. :(

Add that to the rare list. lol

:foryou:

It would be hard pressed ( :insane: ) for me just by the scans to even consider that Hulk #181 CGC 9.9 to in fact be a 9.9 anymore.

I trust since Gene said he saw it in his hand that the book suffered some SCS. So more than likely should the book ever be reholdered that book may go down to a 9.6, and maybe keep a grade of 9.8 after it was pressed to correct most of the SCS.

To me the whole CGC 9.9 and 10.0 grade is so subjective that I just do not by into it. Every 9.9/10.0 I have seen of books pre-1990 have something where I always say to myself how can this book get a 9.9/10.0.

When this book sells it will be either because the comic book buyer does not know how to grade and trusts CGC, or they will be label chasing only and money is no object. I am assuming who ever may buy the book would want to check the book out in person hopefully before they make such a purchase cause I know I would.

Either way this book really is not something that I would ever marvel at.

Hulk #181 while it is probably the most important book of the Bronze Age it is still common as all heck in HG. I am pretty confident that 9.6's will be selling for barely over 2K 5-10 years from now.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

It would be hard pressed ( :insane: ) for me just by the scans to even consider that Hulk #181 CGC 9.9 to in fact be a 9.9 anymore.

I trust since Gene said he saw it in his hand that the book suffered some SCS. So more than likely should the book ever be reholdered that book may go down to a 9.6, and maybe keep a grade of 9.8 after it was pressed to correct most of the SCS.

I looked over the book very closely and my opinion was that there's no way it would have gotten a 9.9 had it been cracked out and resubmitted. I'm skeptical that the book was ever a true 9.9 to begin with, and even from the marginal scans you can tell that it isn't now.

I could be wrong about the next part, as it's been at least 7 years since I saw the book (it was either the '01, '02 or '03 SDCC where I saw it - I was one of the big players in Bronze back then), but I seem to recall that the book had one of the very earliest CGC labels when I saw it - the kind that didn't have the page quality listed. Does anybody recall the same? Was the book reholdered shortly thereafter? If that's the case, it might help to explain why CGC gave that book a 9.9 - it was graded very early on and they didn't have the benefit of having graded hundreds of high grade copies of the book to distinguish between what should be a 9.4/9.6/9.8/9.9.

BUT, even if my mind is cloudy about the labeling part, the book was, in any case, graded fairly early on and that probably makes my last point very applicable anyway. Whether that matters to the ultimate buyer, who'll be buying the rarity of the grade on the label and not necessarily the best preserved copy of Hulk #181, who can say... (shrug)

While it's not a book that's of any interest to me personally, to ignore the importance of Wolverine and the scale of this book in terms of its nature as a "key" is to put personal opinion in front of reason. This handy chart will help clarify things:

Importance of Marvel Characters:

1. Spider-man

2. Wolverine

3. Who cares, it's not spider-man or Wolverine.

No one`s debating the importance of the book (at least I wasn`t). I just feel that people paying the current asking price for the book in any grade are overpaying. Not because I don`t like the book but because of years of experience observing the comic market.

I looked over the book very closely and my opinion was that there's no way it would have gotten a 9.9 had it been cracked out and resubmitted. I'm skeptical that the book was ever a true 9.9 to begin with, and even from the marginal scans you can tell that it isn't now.

I could be wrong about the next part, as it's been at least 7 years since I saw the book (it was either the '01, '02 or '03 SDCC where I saw it - I was one of the big players in Bronze back then), but I seem to recall that the book had one of the very earliest CGC labels when I saw it - the kind that didn't have the page quality listed. Does anybody recall the same? Was the book reholdered shortly thereafter? If that's the case, it might help to explain why CGC gave that book a 9.9 - it was graded very early on and they didn't have the benefit of having graded hundreds of high grade copies of the book to distinguish between what should be a 9.4/9.6/9.8/9.9.

BUT, even if my mind is cloudy about the labeling part, the book was, in any case, graded fairly early on and that probably makes my last point very applicable anyway. Whether that matters to the ultimate buyer, who'll be buying the rarity of the grade on the label and not necessarily the best preserved copy of Hulk #181, who can say... (shrug)

I remember seeing the book in 2001 and 2003 and recalled a PQ in both instances. Although I didn't really look at the book in hand, I did look at it in 2003 in the display case at SDCC. Like you, I just think that it was a gift grade and that the corners were like that when grading. I recall it looking it the top right corner was just slightly bent over and not true SCS.

xoxo

greggy

1) Superman

2) Batman

3) Spider-Man

4) Wolverine

5) Hulk

6) Captain America

7) Wonder Woman

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Wolverine weren't farther down this list, and Iron Man might even be in front of him.

I remember seeing the book in 2001 and 2003 and recalled a PQ in both instances. Although I didn't really look at the book in hand, I did look at it in 2003 in the display case at SDCC. Like you, I just think that it was a gift grade and that the corners were like that when grading. I recall it looking it the top right corner was just slightly bent over and not true SCS.

xoxo

greggy

Good posts, guys.

For what it's worth, on the CGC 9.9 copies that I have owned (Secret Wars #8, Wolverine Limited Series #1, X-men #140) I have noticed that this sort of stuff (slight bends in the paper) do not affect the grade.

That's why I was so against making judgment on the book without a larger, more clear scan.

Carry on.

1) Superman

2) Batman

3) Spider-Man

4) Wolverine

5) Hulk

6) Captain America

7) Wonder Woman

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Wolverine weren't farther down this list, and Iron Man might even be in front of him.

Shouldn't you be shoveling the side walks?

1) Superman

2) Batman

3) Spider-Man

4) Wolverine

5) Hulk

6) Captain America

7) Wonder Woman

darren aronofsky will change that.

xoxo

greggy

Good posts, guys.

For what it's worth, on the CGC 9.9 copies that I have owned (Secret Wars #8, Wolverine Limited Series #1, X-men #140) I have noticed that this sort of stuff (slight bends in the paper) do not affect the grade.

That's why I was so against making judgment on the book without a larger, more clear scan.

Carry on.

Well since Gene/Greggy have seen it and with the scans we are given I would be fairly certain that the book is in fact a 9.6 in a 9.9 holder. lol

Assuming if the book has SCS it probably can't be a 9.8.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt