• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Man 1 - All facts about Todd's Spider-Man issue one.

145 posts in this topic

Yes the Chromiums are reprints, officially called Marvel Collectible Classics Spider-Man 1 and 2. I love em! They have to be in hand to be best appreciated.

I also like the gold Spider-man 1s. So the UPC code is the original and the other with the Spidey face is a Newstand reprint? Would explain why the asking price on the UPC issues are so much higher.

ASM300C9851003b.jpg

SM1C965002-1.jpg

I was ordering from Westfield when these were solicited. As I recall they said the bagged edition (green and silver) was the direct market edition and the unbagged was the newsstand edition. I distinctly remember them having 4 line items for this one book.

The gold books are 2nd printing; with the UPC being the rare, unreleased Wal-Mart version.

SM 1 was the book that got me back into collecting.I saw it on the stands and was captivated by the Ditko looking eyes on Spidey's mask. I can't remember which color it was but it was definitely bagged. This was at the 7-11, hope that helps. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Maybe they distinguish because CGC removes the ploybag from the book so they can mark the slab as poly bagged edition? (shrug)

That would be my understanding.

Agreed.

No way!! The vast majority of the Polybagged editions wouldn't get a 9.8 because of the bag seam. I would laugh my azz off if someone sent in a polybagged Spidey. The difference is clear based upon the UPC or the Spidey head.

OH CARP. And the webbing difference that RMA remembered. That is like going back in a time machine. lol

If I remember correctly, there were three bagged versions. Green Cover, Black Cover (less printed than the green) and the newsstand version. Unbagged, there was the green cover and the black. The difference between the green bagged and unbagged is the colour of the webbing and the diff betweeen the black bagged and unbagged was that the bagged copy didn't have a cover price.

As for the gold cover, Spidey Head direct 2nd print, UPC only sold at Walmart.

Hope that helps

I also like the gold Spider-man 1s. So the UPC code is the original and the other with the Spidey face is a Newstand reprint? Would explain why the asking price on the UPC issues are so much higher.

The Golds are both 2nd printings. The spidey head gold went through normal distriution channels, and the UPCs went to Wal-Mart. Somewhere on the boards, I explained how this could have (possibly) happened.

And yes, I hate the Chromium reprints. I bought them for $10 each in the summer of 1999, and didn't buy a lot..then sold them for $25 each on eBay that summer.

9.8s, too.

Sigh.

SPIDER-MAN (1990-1998)

1 GREEN EDITION $2

• 1A GREEN EDITION POLYBAGGED $2

• ABOUT 1,000,000 PRODUCED OF #1 & #1A

1B SILVER EDITION

• ABOUT 1,000,000 PRODUCED $2

1C GOLD EDITION (2ND PRINT)

• OVER 450,000 PRODUCED $3

1D PLATINUM EDITION

• 10,000 PRODUCED $100