• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Bronze Age Pedigree's
3 3

272 posts in this topic

I like Don Rosa books but it is not a pedigree, only a collection.

What jury of experts decreed that the Rosa Collection is not/not a pedigree?

As far as I'm concerned -- having done extensive due diligence on the collection -- it is indeed a bona-fide pedigree.

If you hold a different opinion, well, I guess you're entitled to it.

But in reality you are either unfortunately misinformed or purposefully inciting chat-board provocation.

You know alot more about this collection than me, so maybe you can shed some light on some of the concerns I've heard raised when considering the collection for pedigree status.

First, only comics from about 1969 or '70 onward have been encapsulated and reached the marketplace so far. Consequently, the collecting community at large has not had the opportunity to assess the earlier portions of the collection. How far back do the original owner runs go, and in what kind of shape are they?

Second, it has been suggested that Mr. Rosa accumulated lots of older comics by buying them used. These would clearly not qualify for inclusion in a pedigree, and may complicate pedigree designation by blurring the distinction between the original owner and secondhand books.

As far as I'm concerned -- having done extensive due diligence on the collection -- it is indeed a bona-fide pedigree.

But in reality you are either unfortunately misinformed or purposefully inciting chat-board provocation.

You know alot more about this collection than me, so maybe you can shed some light on some of the concerns I've heard raised when considering the collection for pedigree status.

First, only comics from about 1969 or '70 onward have been encapsulated and reached the marketplace so far. Consequently, the collecting community at large has not had the opportunity to assess the earlier portions of the collection. How far back do the original owner runs go, and in what kind of shape are they?

Second, it has been suggested that Mr. Rosa accumulated lots of older comics by buying them used. These would clearly not qualify for inclusion in a pedigree, and may complicate pedigree designation by blurring the distinction between the original owner and secondhand books.

No problem. I'll try and shed some light (or maybe Rosa can himself, see link below).

• Rosa started buying comics off the rack in 1963 (Superman).
  • He started buying everything off the rack in 1966 (except Archies and Harveys).
  • The books were purchased from three primary locations in Louisville, Kentucky: The Third Street Newsstand, the Fayette Cigar Store & newsstand, and the Cherokee Card Shoppe & newsstand.
  • The first part of the Rosa Collection was brought to market in 2005. It consisted of ~13,000 books from 1970 and later. The second part of the collection has yet to be sold (1963-1969).
  • In 1970, Rosa discovered "one of the FIRST comic book collectors". His collection consisted of approximately 5,000 - 6,000 books from 1950 - 1965. Rosa acquired the collection in totality. All books were purchased by the collector off the rack. It is unknown if that collection will be designated as a pedigree, and if so, by what name.

The following link provides some Q&A regarding the Don Rosa Collection. Don Rosa himself joined in the discussion later on to help provide insight and clarification regarding same.

Hope it helps.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=857206#Post857206

No problem. I'll try and shed some light (or maybe Rosa can himself, see link below).

• He started buying everything off the rack in 1966 (except Archies and Harveys).
  • The books were purchased from three primary locations in Louisville, Kentucky: The Third Street Newsstand, the Fayette Cigar Store & newsstand, and the Cherokee Card Shoppe & newsstand.
  • The first part of the Rosa Collection was brought to market in 2005. It consisted of ~13,000 books from 1970 and later. The second part of the collection has yet to be sold (1963-1969).
  • In 1970, Rosa discovered "one of the FIRST comic book collectors". His collection consisted of approximately 5,000 - 6,000 books from 1950 - 1965. Rosa acquired the collection in totality. All books were purchased by the collector off the rack. It is unknown if that collection will be designated as a pedigree, and if so, by what name.

The following link provides some Q&A regarding the Don Rosa Collection. Don Rosa himself joined in the discussion later on to help provide insight and clarification regarding same.

Hope it helps.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=857206#Post857206

I knew your reply would be well worth reading. :applause:

Hope it helps.

:applause:

First off, I like the Don Rosa books and I have many in my collection.

The discussion of the collection being officially recognized as a pedigree was previously discussed to death on the Boards. Since CGC listed the collection in a tabular list of recognized pedigrees on their website many thought CGC did recognize them as a pedigree. I finally decided to call CGC and I talked to Eric, I believe. He stated CGC recognizes it as a 'collection' but not as a pedigree.

This is why you see the word 'collection' on the label. With recognized pedigrees, White Mountain, Twin Cities, etc. the word collection is not on the label. So to answer your question of what jury of experts decreed it not a pedigree I answer CGC. I'm sorry if this upsets you.

The discussion of the collection being officially recognized as a pedigree was previously discussed to death on the Boards. Since CGC listed the collection in a tabular list of recognized pedigrees on their website many thought CGC did recognize them as a pedigree. I finally decided to call CGC and I talked to Eric, I believe. He stated CGC recognizes it as a 'collection' but not as a pedigree.

This is why you see the word 'collection' on the label. With recognized pedigrees, White Mountain, Twin Cities, etc. the word collection is not on the label. So to answer your question of what jury of experts decreed it not a pedigree I answer CGC. I'm sorry if this upsets you.

I don't know how anyone could conclude otherwise given currently available information. Neither CGC nor the collecting community at large have seen the portion of the collection spanning 1963-69, and so the quality and breadth of the runs is unknown. Perhaps if and when Mr. Rosa decides to bring the earlier portion of his original owner books to market, the issue of a pedigree designation can be revisited.

I don't know how anyone could conclude otherwise given currently available information. Neither CGC nor the collecting community at large have seen the portion of the collection spanning 1963-69, and so the quality and breadth of the runs is unknown. Perhaps if and when Mr. Rosa decides to bring the earlier portion of his original owner books to market, the issue of a pedigree designation can be revisited.

Well I guess were gonna have to agree to disagree. (thumbs u

The statements made by "Eric" to you on behalf of CGC contradict numerous public

announcements the corporation has issued when mentioning the pedigree in official

correspondence (print and electronic media).

If the corporation has reversed its position on pedigree status then it would be in their best

interest to officially redact the same and make it publicly clear. ;)

The statements made by "Eric" to you on behalf of CGC contradict numerous public

announcements the corporation has issued when mentioning the pedigree in official

If the corporation has reversed its position on pedigree status then it would be in their best

"Eric" is spreading misinformation. There was a point (the original submission) when it had not been granted pedigree status. Sometimes you can find examples of these books on ebay and they are easily recognizable by having the "Don Rosa Collection" printed above the PQ in the center of the label. This is where ALL non-pedigree recognized collections are noted.

However after CGC visited Don rosas house and inspected the comics themselves, the collection was granted pedigree status and the notation moved to the right side of the label where all pedigree labels are noted.

"Eric" is spreading misinformation. There was a point (the original submission) when it had not been granted pedigree status. Sometimes you can find examples of these books on ebay and they are easily recognizable by having the "Don Rosa Collection" printed above the PQ in the center of the label. This is where ALL non-pedigree recognized collections are noted.

However after CGC visited Don rosas house and inspected the comics themselves, the collection was granted pedigree status and the notation moved to the right side of the label where all pedigree labels are noted.

Possibly, bomber-bob spoke with Eric prior to CGC changing the designation to pedigree. He has been with CGC quite some time. I met him there about 5 1/2 years ago.

Possibly, bomber-bob spoke with Eric prior to CGC changing the designation to pedigree. He has been with CGC quite some time. I met him there about 5 1/2 years ago.

I'm having a hard time following this whole line of dialogue.

While I understand and respectfully disagree with Bob's position regarding pedigree

designation, I don't get how someone can support or somehow state that CGC never

recognized the Don Rosa collection as a pedigree to begin with. To embrace and/or

adhere to that line of rational is in deliberate disregard for the facts as they are known

to be. It's just plain nonsense, IMHO.

With a little bit of research one can quickly ascertain that CGC officially announced the

pedigree of the Don Rosa collection with Volume 4, Issue 7, of the CGC Newsletter

dated June 2005.

Additionally, numerous CGC press releases and industry announcements have listed

the Don Rosa collection as a pedigree to include, but not limited to, the CGC website

and various CGC printed marketing material, comic-book industry news press releases,

and various auction house advertisements.

cgc-rosa-ped-annoument.gif

cgc-pedigre.jpg

scoop-7-9-05.gif

scoop-5-12-07.gif

What more could you possibly ask for?!? White pages, top census, almost perfectly registered and best of all, a Vision cover :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

avengers113.jpg

Is this the issue where Cap is holding up part of the Statue of Liberty? I remember reading this one as a kid.