• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kick Azz Toys From Your Childhood...
1 1

964 posts in this topic

I'm on a huge toy kick now. Fun to get back into that childhood spirit.

One of my all-time favorite Christmas gifts was Optimus Prime.

I've had a few since my childhood. But a boardee just sold me the following. Looking forward to getting it.

Transformersg1015.jpg

Transformersg1018.jpg

Pat

I've had a few since my childhood. But a boardee just sold me the following. Looking forward to getting it.

Transformersg1015.jpg

Transformersg1018.jpg

Pat

:headbang:

As much as I love Transformers, GI Joe, and Star Wars: He-man was always one of my favorite toy lines.

I was fortunate to buy a fair amount of them carded 10 years ago. Prices have really soared. I never thought I'd own a carded He-man or Skeletor (the 1st versions). But I was happy to finally pick them up recently.

I could talk about the MOTU figures and playsets forever. Some great pieces.

I know this isn't the best pic, but a "grail" for me:

P1050377.jpg

Here's a pic of the entire He-man Commemorative line that came out around 2000 (single figures). Made/packaged the same as the original with some great new external packaging. Considering selling the Commemorative line:

IMG_0904.jpg

Transformersg1015.jpg

Transformersg1018.jpg

Pat

Transformers were the best toys. Still have my optimus that I got in 1985, but no longer in the condition in your picture. Nice acquisition. Getting old toys back are great.

I know this is a comic forum but anybody have any interest in getting a section for toys on the forum?

Edited by rabidwolf

Pat

Transformers were the best toys. Still have my optimus that I got in 1985, but no longer in the condition in your picture. Nice acquisition. Getting old toys back are great.

I know this is a comic forum but anybody have any interest in getting a section for toys on the forum?

Brother, I've been thinking this a lot lately. If they are not interested in a new section, it would be great if a thread like this could be a permanent sticky in this section. It seems like this happens about once every month. To me, it's just like the new comic acquisition sticky thread.

Pat

From the days when Lego Space sets were new :cloud9:

I loved Lego kits. Never a boring moment. :cloud9:

Before Christmas, my wife was chastising me because I couldn't come up with any gift ideas for myself. I jokingly told her she could buy me legos. The eye rolling and sarcastic comments followed, but as I'm opening my gifts on Christmas morning, what do I get? A Star Wars lego set. :banana:

Did you sit on the floor in your pajamas and build it. lol

I spent Christmas with my brother and when I came into the house his two sons were building their lego set Christmas gifts. HIs kids are massively into Legos (I was as a kid as well) and he has stockpiled all sorts of good sets for them, including some from when I was an adult younger. There's a vibrant Lego collecting community and 2 of the big sets I had purchased now typically sell for about $500.

I loved Legos. It was just a joke at Jeffro. I cant wait until my son starts, Lego Batman baby!

This one was one of my earliest sets. I still have the motor somewhere.

108112.jpg.377dc5bebd01d5749b112de79a299f18.jpg

As much as I love Transformers, GI Joe, and Star Wars: He-man was always one of my favorite toy lines.

I was fortunate to buy a fair amount of them carded 10 years ago. Prices have really soared. I never thought I'd own a carded He-man or Skeletor (the 1st versions). But I was happy to finally pick them up recently.

I could talk about the MOTU figures and playsets forever. Some great pieces.

I know this isn't the best pic, but a "grail" for me:

P1050377.jpg

Here's a pic of the entire He-man Commemorative line that came out around 2000 (single figures). Made/packaged the same as the original with some great new external packaging. Considering selling the Commemorative line:

Congrats on your He-Man 8 back. Believe me when I tell you how much I understand when you say that is a grail for you.

I know allot of folks have different opinions. But IMHO, MOTU was the only toy line to get it right with respect to coming out with a commemorative or anniversary type line. They whipped out the same exact molds, cards, bubbles, art work, etc. Identical to the original 8 backs and MOTU line.

MOSC MOTU vintage toys would cost you thousands and thousands of dollars to acquire present day in the same condition the commemorative line is, meaning C9+ range.

I think for the average person who is not deep in the wallet, the commemorative line is an absolute winner in terms of capturing that nostalgic feeling without spending a fortune.

Did you ever consider breaking out your commemorative 8 backs from the external shell packaging and placing them in AFA type protective cases?? It would make a killer display.

Transformersg1015.jpg

Pat

I remember like yesterday waiting outside on a Sunday morning at a huge Service type department store. They had an ad running for Optimus Prime: IN STOCK & only $19.99. There were a ton of people outside; easily hundreds. You see transformers made Cabbage Patch dolls look like nothing. The demand was insane for the original G1 series toys.

Finally what seemed to be an eternity, the doors opened. People rushed in there like there was an invasion of bodysnatchers in the parking lot.

I realized I would have no chance of beating through the wad of people stuck in the entrance. So I did the only thing I could. The entrance was to the left and the right side was the exit. But I noticed the doors were propped open. So I jumped the middle railing and ran through the exit doors. And at that point, went into a full sprint because the toy department was in the back of the store.

I was one of the first there and sure enough, a whole stack of Optimus Primes was in my midst. There was a limit of only 2 per customer. I grabbed one and within 5 minutes, they were all gone.

Funny thing is, I thought about not opening it, but we know how that turns out. Transformers were so unique. The stores never had any in stock. And when they did, they were gone in minutes. Hence the reason why a sealed certified Prime in C9.5 condition sells for $4500 present day.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=380301560741&si=zNDUi12JwkBO8eWKP%252FEu4KsUxOE%253D&viewitem=

I'm trying to locate a picture of this "mini arcade" type machine i had. Like the donkey kong type games, only bigger.

Played like space invaders but i think it was called galactic or galaxy something...

EDIT: The one in the middle. I remember taking it apart to change the colors on the plastic sheet that made up the alien ships, good times :cloud9:

img3715nf.jpg

Wow thanks so much for posting this! I completely forgot about the Epoch Galaxy II table top game. Spent hours on this. I actually liked this better than the Donkey Kong and Frogger top games. (thumbs u

I know allot of folks have different opinions. But IMHO, MOTU was the only toy line to get it right with respect to coming out with a commemorative or anniversary type line. They whipped out the same exact molds, cards, bubbles, art work, etc. Identical to the original 8 backs and MOTU line.

Would have been nice if the GI Joe 25th was identical with molds and such but I think they still did a nice job on them. I have seen some really nice displays of 25ths of the 1982-1983 lineup with figures and vehicles and it displays nice in my opinion.

Would have been nice if the GI Joe 25th was identical with molds and such but I think they still did a nice job on them. I have seen some really nice displays of 25ths of the 1982-1983 lineup with figures and vehicles and it displays nice in my opinion.

You are right, the Joes do look very nice. I was really biased directing that observation more towards Star Wars. The 2010 anniversary run really could have been something so special had they gone the MOTU route. But instead, the bubbles are different, the backs of the cards are totally different and the figures themselves are off as well. And at $10.99 a pop, I just was really really let down.

I was hoping to see the original 12 backs and 21 backs, but it did not happen. So now my only recourse is to seek out recards because you would easily need $5K+ or more to put together a vintage 12 back run of the original cards in C9+ condition.

I don't have any photos as all my toys went years ago, bu I had extensive collections of:

• Star Wars
  • Rambo
  • Transformers
  • He-Man
  • M.A.S.K.

There was rucks of other stuff, I'm just struggling to remember it all right now.