• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kick Azz Toys From Your Childhood...
1 1

964 posts in this topic

One of my all-time favorites -- it came out just shortly before I discovered girls and Rock-and-Roll (which both enriched--and ruined--my life):

Mattel-FootballBox.jpg

As a child of the '80's it was all Star Wars, GI Joe and Transformers. Going along with the football theme here, I loved the NFL Action Team Mate figures. Very hard to find now and most of the ones you find are damaged or missing the boxes/accessories. I remember spending hours just smashing these guys together. Like Megos, many came in both boxes or on cards. They had African American figures too, which are pretty rare today. They were about 7 or 8 inches tall I think and they had removable helmets too which was really cool.

What was really cool is each figure came with a full set of decals so you could change the numbers to whatever player you wanted.

teammates.jpg

One of my all-time favorites -- it came out just shortly before I discovered girls and Rock-and-Roll (which both enriched--and ruined--my life):

Mattel-FootballBox.jpg

As a child of the '80's it was all Star Wars, GI Joe and Transformers. Going along with the football theme here, I loved the NFL Action Team Mate figures. Very hard to find now and most of the ones you find are damaged or missing the boxes/accessories. I remember spending hours just smashing these guys together. Like Megos, many came in both boxes or on cards. They had African American figures too, which are pretty rare today. They were about 7 or 8 inches tall I think and they had removable helmets too which was really cool.

What was really cool is each figure came with a full set of decals so you could change the numbers to whatever player you wanted.

teammates.jpg

I remember those. (worship)

From the days when Lego Space sets were new :cloud9:

I loved Lego kits. Never a boring moment. :cloud9:

Before Christmas, my wife was chastising me because I couldn't come up with any gift ideas for myself. I jokingly told her she could buy me legos. The eye rolling and sarcastic comments followed, but as I'm opening my gifts on Christmas morning, what do I get? A Star Wars lego set. :banana:

Did you sit on the floor in your pajamas and build it. lol

I spent Christmas with my brother and when I came into the house his two sons were building their lego set Christmas gifts. HIs kids are massively into Legos (I was as a kid as well) and he has stockpiled all sorts of good sets for them, including some from when I was an adult younger. There's a vibrant Lego collecting community and 2 of the big sets I had purchased now typically sell for about $500.

From the days when Lego Space sets were new :cloud9:

I loved Lego kits. Never a boring moment. :cloud9:

Before Christmas, my wife was chastising me because I couldn't come up with any gift ideas for myself. I jokingly told her she could buy me legos. The eye rolling and sarcastic comments followed, but as I'm opening my gifts on Christmas morning, what do I get? A Star Wars lego set. :banana:

Did you sit on the floor in your pajamas and build it. lol

I spent Christmas with my brother and when I came into the house his two sons were building their lego set Christmas gifts. HIs kids are massively into Legos (I was as a kid as well) and he has stockpiled all sorts of good sets for them, including some from when I was an adult younger. There's a vibrant Lego collecting community and 2 of the big sets I had purchased now typically sell for about $500.

I loved Legos. It was just a joke at Jeffro. I cant wait until my son starts, Lego Batman baby!

And then my old Commodore 64. Favorite games included:

BMX Racers

BMXRacers.gif

and Tooth Invaders

tooth_invaders_01.gif

well snap if we are going to include electronic and video games I am going to have to post some nintendo games (which I actively collect now but had to settle for playing at a friend's house as a kid!)

And then my old Commodore 64. Favorite games included:

BMX Racers

BMXRacers.gif

and Tooth Invaders

tooth_invaders_01.gif

well snap if we are going to include electronic and video games I am going to have to post some nintendo games (which I actively collect now but had to settle for playing at a friend's house as a kid!)

hm

I had Colecovision with the giant controllers that looked like boxing gloves. You had this wheel you had to spin to throw the football further in the football game. :cloud9:

hm boxing gloves... I don't remember those and we had a coleco in our house.

I remember the slitherball / rollerball controller... and the driving wheel for Turbo... either of these what you mean?

hm boxing gloves... I don't remember those and we had a coleco in our house.

I remember the slitherball / rollerball controller... and the driving wheel for Turbo... either of these what you mean?

Yeah I had both of those as well. Forgot all about them.

I'm trying to locate a picture of this "mini arcade" type machine i had. Like the donkey kong type games, only bigger.

Played like space invaders but i think it was called galactic or galaxy something...

EDIT: The one in the middle. I remember taking it apart to change the colors on the plastic sheet that made up the alien ships, good times :cloud9:

img3715nf.jpg

Edited by Thomas Nielsen

My grandfather had a vibrating football game and every time we (my brother and I ) went over we were sent down cellar to play the game so we did not bother the adults. I do not remember the name of it but essentially you lined up the players and turned on the machine and they would move. They would knock down other players and the goal of the game was to get the quarter back to score a touch down.

Wish I knew the name of the game we spent a lot of Sundays and Holidays in the cellar playing that game (probably explains a lot!)

I know what game you're talking about, my grandpa had one at his house too but it was something my uncles played with. I think me and my uncle closest in age to me played with it a couple times but that was it. He was already driving when I was in kindergarten so I'm sure being 16 years old he had so much stuff he would rather do lol

Found a picture. These were really fun controllers. And they stood up pretty good when you tossed them down the hallway. :blush:

ColecoVisionSuperActionControllerSet_www.jpg

Those were some of the best sports controllers ever made.

I remember spinning that wheel as hard as I could to make my player run faster. :)

Loved that you could switch which player you were controlling simply by pressing the appropriate color button on the hand grip. (thumbs u

Those controllers were years ahead of their time.