• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kick Azz Toys From Your Childhood...
1 1

964 posts in this topic

For me it was the Mego's... all day!

Captain America was (and is) my favorite so I had many of those... still do actually.

2205057383_6e4b9414f5_o.jpg

But I also had a blast with this...

2850567513_52a135715f_o.jpg

When this thread first started, I was trying to remember what the gun was I had as a 7 yr old and I think this was it....But I don't remember it being a Marvel toy...Was there another version ?

Other than Megos, the only thing more important to me at that time was food....maybe oxygen.....

Come to think of it, Megos came in first. lol

For me it was the Mego's... all day!

Captain America was (and is) my favorite so I had many of those... still do actually.

2205057383_6e4b9414f5_o.jpg

But I also had a blast with this...

2850567513_52a135715f_o.jpg

When this thread first started, I was trying to remember what the gun was I had as a 7 yr old and I think this was it....But I don't remember it being a Marvel toy...Was there another version ?

Other than Megos, the only thing more important to me at that time was food....maybe oxygen.....

Yeah. Mine wasn't the Marvel version. Mine was red/white/blue and had barrels you knocked down.

This is the regular version that Dice mentioned and again the Spiderman version with the Captain America car...

And yes! MEGO'S!

rico3.jpg

ricspid2.jpg

wgsh_figures.jpg

Here's James Bama's fabulous original art to a couple of the Aurora monster kits:

ABama.jpg

Almost as good as the kits were the ads that Aurora ran for the kits on the back covers of DC comics:

AuroraMonsterKitAd1963.jpg

Auroramonsterad1.jpg

The Monster Scenes line of kits which included Vampirella that Aurora released in the early seventies did not get the back cover treatment but was nonetheless noteworthy for the dialogue of the characters:

auroramonster.jpg

Notice that Vampirella came complete with camel toe in the sketch. Talk about cool!

(thumbs u

Edited by Hepcat

Here's James Bama's fabulous original art to a couple of the Aurora monster kits:

ABama.jpg

Almost as good as the kits were the ads that Aurora ran for the kits on the back covers of DC comics:

AuroraMonsterKitAd1963.jpg

(thumbs u

very nice! yours?

Oh don't I wish! But sadly, no.

I first saw the image reproduced in an early issue of Bill Bruegman's magazine "Model and Toy Collector" and I've often wondered how the lucky owner got his hands on the piece. Bill probably knows.

:(

Edited by Hepcat

Awesome memories, love a toy set myselfback in the 70's called Creepy Crawlers or somthing like that and of course Daisy BB guns!

I'm guessing that it was probably the Mattel Creepy Crawlers Thingmaker set you remember:

108356.jpg.0cc06675a5f022c35e524b4e8f9d9206.jpg

M.U.S.C.L.E.s!

I think I had a Nintendo game based on these guys too!

If I ever found a bucket of these, I'd be all over it.

monster_muscle.jpg

you can get big groups of them on ebay

and yes nintendo put out a title based on these. Actually it (tied with a couple other bandai releases) was the very first 3rd party (ie not made by nintendo themselves) title on the NES back in Oct, 86

http://cgi.ebay.ca/M-U-S-C-L-E-Complete-NES-NINTENDO-HANG-TAB-MUSCLE-/280575334971?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item415397da3b

M.U.S.C.L.E.s!

I think I had a Nintendo game based on these guys too!

If I ever found a bucket of these, I'd be all over it.

monster_muscle.jpg

you can get big groups of them on ebay

and yes nintendo put out a title based on these. Actually it (tied with a couple other bandai releases) was the very first 3rd party (ie not made by nintendo themselves) title on the NES back in Oct, 86

http://cgi.ebay.ca/M-U-S-C-L-E-Complete-NES-NINTENDO-HANG-TAB-MUSCLE-/280575334971?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item415397da3b

There was a cartoon recently called ultimate muscle.

and new games

8B705362.jpg

ultimate_muscle_3.jpg

Wow. Great thread. Opened it up expecting all super-hero toys that I never had, but what do I find, Navaronne Playset references and links!

I thought I was the only kid that went hog wild over that set! I never knew anybody else who had one.

I remember drooling over that exact same JC Penney's Christmas Catalog ad for the set (thanks for the link, you wouldn't believe the memories it's brought back!). I was ten years old, the perfect age for Christmas, and this is the gift I remember most. Santa brought this set, so it didn't show up until morning. I was up at the crack of dawn, and I remember thinking I was oh-so-smart by taking the big box and weighing on the bathroom scale (we weren't allowed to open until everyone was up--oh the torture!) to see if it matched the weight listed in the catalog. I was heart broken when it didn't! Aaargh!

But, of course the weight in the catalog was the shipping weight and probably included whatever shipping materials Penney's used at the time. Needless to say, when I finally opened it I was probably just about as happy as a 10 year old boy could get!

Wow. Good times.

BTW, the Coleco pocket quartback kicked the $h!# out of the Mattel one! And I'm not too humble to mention that I was unbeatable in Jr High!

I always have loved Hot Wheels.

Affordable.Trade able.Still collect 'em today!

Hot Wheels Man! Collected those suckers as a kid!

Mattel revolutionized the diecast car market and in so doing captured the lion's share of it with three novel ideas:

1. Make the axles skinnier. This enabled the cars to go faster.

2. Design radical, far out cars to appeal to kids even if the cars don't actually model any car in the real world.

3. Put power into the actual track itself to enable any Hot Wheels car to run. Ingenious!

The Hot Wheel cars and the tracks on which they run are so cool that any young boy from 5 to 95 is tempted by them!

108431.jpg.0e30a416ca902b6980d49bd9f05f5c8f.jpg

108432.jpg.9bf6dd49669f0208d5b1524b8c9fcea5.jpg

108433.jpg.b22f406659fd80fbe1a04fc2b2fcad39.jpg

Edited by Hepcat