• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kick Azz Toys From Your Childhood...
1 1

964 posts in this topic

I know allot of folks have different opinions. But IMHO, MOTU was the only toy line to get it right with respect to coming out with a commemorative or anniversary type line. They whipped out the same exact molds, cards, bubbles, art work, etc. Identical to the original 8 backs and MOTU line.

Would have been nice if the GI Joe 25th was identical with molds and such but I think they still did a nice job on them. I have seen some really nice displays of 25ths of the 1982-1983 lineup with figures and vehicles and it displays nice in my opinion.

You are right, the Joes do look very nice. I was really biased directing that observation more towards Star Wars. The 2010 anniversary run really could have been something so special had they gone the MOTU route. But instead, the bubbles are different, the backs of the cards are totally different and the figures themselves are off as well. And at $10.99 a pop, I just was really really let down.

I was hoping to see the original 12 backs and 21 backs, but it did not happen. So now my only recourse is to seek out recards because you would easily need $5K+ or more to put together a vintage 12 back run of the original cards in C9+ condition.

Something that I have heard from a few people and find interesting is that many people thought that the 25th line for Joes was done too well and that it affected the prices of the vintage joes since individuals that wanted to live their childhood moments could easily through this line. Especially the 1982-83 25ths. I think they are a fitting replacement for someone that doesnt want to spend all the cash and I have even been tempted to try and put together a set of the 25th for that era instead of trying to buy up the vintage.

Not mine but an example.

Shelf7.jpg

Wow thanks so much for posting this! I completely forgot about the Epoch Galaxy II table top game. Spent hours on this. I actually liked this better than the Donkey Kong and Frogger top games. (thumbs u

Yeah can't count the amount of hours i spent on that thing.

Wonder where the hell it went hm

I know allot of folks have different opinions. But IMHO, MOTU was the only toy line to get it right with respect to coming out with a commemorative or anniversary type line. They whipped out the same exact molds, cards, bubbles, art work, etc. Identical to the original 8 backs and MOTU line.

Would have been nice if the GI Joe 25th was identical with molds and such but I think they still did a nice job on them. I have seen some really nice displays of 25ths of the 1982-1983 lineup with figures and vehicles and it displays nice in my opinion.

You are right, the Joes do look very nice. I was really biased directing that observation more towards Star Wars. The 2010 anniversary run really could have been something so special had they gone the MOTU route. But instead, the bubbles are different, the backs of the cards are totally different and the figures themselves are off as well. And at $10.99 a pop, I just was really really let down.

I was hoping to see the original 12 backs and 21 backs, but it did not happen. So now my only recourse is to seek out recards because you would easily need $5K+ or more to put together a vintage 12 back run of the original cards in C9+ condition.

I've spent the last two months very actively buying everything from 12 backs to the last 17 POTF. There is no way you could buy the first 12 for $5K in C9+ condition. Even if you tried to budget yourself to spend $200-300 per MOC, you would end up with C7-C8 at best. The vinyl cape Jawa in C9+ is a 5K figure. The double telescoping Luke/Kenobi/Vaders are between $3-$5K loose, and carded would be in the $15K and up range each. Easily $20K each if AFA graded 80 or better.

The 8 20-backs could probably be had for about $200 per at C8, but again, anything graded higher would carry a premium.

The only 21 back is the Boba Fett and that is easily a $1500-$2K MOC in C8.

One important consideration is that anything in C85 or better will have been sent in for grading, and the previously mentioned pricing would be moot, because AFA graded MOC's - especially AFA 85 and higher, would go for 30% to 50% higher.

If you try really hard, you could probably buy a complete loose figure collection in the C8-9 range, including a vinyl cape Jawa and the last 17 POTF, with a budget of between $1500-$2200 plus shipping. That range depends on whether you could score good deals on the higher yielding figures in the set - VC Jawa, Blue Snaggletooth, Yak Face, Luke on Stormtrooper disguise to name a few).

Obviously, if you find one owner, the shipping costs can be significantly reduced.

I've spent the last two months very actively buying everything from 12 backs to the last 17 POTF. There is no way you could buy the first 12 for $5K in C9+ condition. Even if you tried to budget yourself to spend $200-300 per MOC, you would end up with C7-C8 at best. The vinyl cape Jawa in C9+ is a 5K figure. The double telescoping Luke/Kenobi/Vaders are between $3-$5K loose, and carded would be in the $15K and up range each. Easily $20K each if AFA graded 80 or better.

The 8 20-backs could probably be had for about $200 per at C8, but again, anything graded higher would carry a premium.

The only 21 back is the Boba Fett and that is easily a $1500-$2K MOC in C8.

One important consideration is that anything in C85 or better will have been sent in for grading, and the previously mentioned pricing would be moot, because AFA graded MOC's - especially AFA 85 and higher, would go for 30% to 50% higher.

If you try really hard, you could probably buy a loose figure collection in the C8-9 range, including a vinyl cape Jawa, with a budget of between $1500-$2200 plus shipping. Obviously, if you find one owner, the shipping costs can be significantly reduced.

Very nice; congrats on your vintage SW acquisitions.

I should have quantified a bit more on my comment regarding the original 12 backs and that $5K number. I was talking about the main stream, non-variant/non-rare unique ones that anyone could have had a chance of getting like the normal Jawa robe version, Stormtrooper, Luke, Darth, Han, Leai, Obi Wan, SandPeople, Chewbacca, etc.

The DT figures you mention are extraordinary in expense for sure and obviously were not being factored into my calculation. I did not have these figures when I was a kid, so I would certainly not worry about getting them now especially with their respective price tags.

I don't even remember seeing a plastic cape Jawa back in the 70's. I actually had two Jawas as a kid and they were both the regular more common robe version.

Here is kind of what I had in mind. Raw would obviously be cheaper as you point out.

AFA 80 12 Back Chewbacca

Here are mine in order

Sorry stole your photo followtheleader

P1050377.jpg

Followed by

T-Rex.gif

and Finally

turtleblimpA.jpg

Nice blimp. I had all the original line of Turtles with the soft heads the blimp and a couple other figures. They where the last toys I bought as a kid.

I'm on a huge toy kick now. Fun to get back into that childhood spirit.

One of my all-time favorite Christmas gifts was Optimus Prime.

I've had a few since my childhood. But a boardee just sold me the following. Looking forward to getting it.

Transformersg1015.jpg

Transformersg1018.jpg

Pat

:headbang:
:headbang: :headbang:

Evel Knievel stunt cycle (as featured on the back cover of Marvel comics).
Wasnt that on the bronze age books?

Back cover ad to Amazing Spider-Man 129

Oh Yeaah!!! Now we are talking!

Although I owned most/all of the first round of Micronauts toys, who could ever forget...

Pulsar, The Ultimate Man of Adventure!!

4950601755_89b94b3a63.jpg

And his arch-villain Hypnos, The Ultimate Enemy.

hypnosboxed.jpg

This guy could kick pulsars azz

steveboxedlarge.jpg

Sorry, but as proven in my own hand-on fight testing, I can definitely say that Pulsar seriously kicked the azz of both Steve Austin and Evel Knievel.

No arguing with science. :makepoint:

This one was the best. The box art was by Mort Kunstler who modeled the boy scientist after his own son:

4562075255_671eaa206b_b.jpg

4562075389_d49773d786_b.jpg

4562075583_9cfa4cffaf_b.jpg

4562075781_3a1eba48cb_b.jpg

My father gave it away to the snot nosed kid down the street when I went off to boarding school in grade nine. I've been looking for another one for thirty years now with no success.

rantrant

Edited by Hepcat

Here's the second best:

AFerrari.jpg

AFerrariinterior.jpg

I built one of these as a kid to race at my local slot car track. I still have the assembled car minus a couple of the lug nuts that I lost at the track.

Just as good, I now have an additional mint in box one in my M.I.B. slot car collection.

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

And then my old Commodore 64. Favorite games included:

BMX Racers

BMXRacers.gif

and Tooth Invaders

tooth_invaders_01.gif

well snap if we are going to include electronic and video games I am going to have to post some nintendo games (which I actively collect now but had to settle for playing at a friend's house as a kid!)

these are a few of the games I fondly remember playing at my buddy's house back in 1987/88. Of course we played with opened copies back then. hm In order to prove my status as a dateless nerd I selected box versions appropriate to the 1987/88 time period. (extremely minor changes in 89).

DSCN5277.JPG

And then my old Commodore 64. Favorite games included:

BMX Racers

BMXRacers.gif

and Tooth Invaders

tooth_invaders_01.gif

well snap if we are going to include electronic and video games I am going to have to post some nintendo games (which I actively collect now but had to settle for playing at a friend's house as a kid!)

these are a few of the games I fondly remember playing at my buddy's house back in 1987/88. Of course we played with opened copies back then. hm In order to prove my status as a dateless nerd I selected box versions appropriate to the 1987/88 time period. (extremely minor changes in 89).

DSCN5277.JPG

I can remember playing Mike Tyson's Punch Out so much it felt like my nails were going to push completely through the insides of my thumbs. :cry: