• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF "Three"

82 posts in this topic

The death isn't the sad part, the dealers (in the UK at least) charging $20 upwards on release day is the really sad part.

We've had to pull ours and email our regular customers to make sure they get one.

This adds to the speculation fuel unfortunately but we've been hit with multiple purchases (at cover price) today from people who've never shopped online with us before and probably never will again.

Like Cap #25 they'll sell for a premium for a month or 2 then the fuss will die down & all the people paying over the odds for a copy will be wondering why they bothered :-(

The fact that there are customers who continue to support this type of sales tactic is the sad part to me. :cry:

Comic shops are going to sell books for the price people are willing to pay. Collectors should know by now what the risk is buying this type of book.

If you were a collector in the 90's and you buy 2 of these comics, one to read and one to keep in the bag, well..... :roflmao::roflmao:

And another thing, the people buying this issue just because of the death are the reason they keep doing this carp! (tsk)

But there aren't! These are speculators trying to make a fast buck.

Our customers order on specific days of the week. We know this as they've been doing it for the last 5 years. If we left these on our website at cover price, customer Z from Scotland wouldn't be able to order one on Friday when he normally orders.

Luckily for him, we know he orders on Fridays, we know he orders FF every month and we've emailed him with an update and reserved him a copy.

Check the ebay US sales on this... One ebayer states this is for one copy. You would at least question this before you bought 2?

No... the sold listings show someone bought 15 copies.

1 buyer 25 copies on this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fantastic-Four-587-Polybagged-Death-Issue-NM-Preorder-/300512799071?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f7f5695f#ht_500wt_922

Speculators almost killed this market once, why dont they "insert abuse here"

Could also be someone trying to get one of those autograph copies floating around . I Must admit I was going to skip this but just had to buy a copy of the bagged version once I saw it ... Its just classic death of superman style lol!

Comments:

No surprise at all.

Human Torch was the most common pick. What's even LESS SURPRISING is Joe Quesada's comments. :eyeroll:

Joe Quesada, Marvel's chief creative officer, recognized that death, while potent, is not necessarily lasting and that the death of a character in comics has turned out "to be very cliche" in plot developments.

"Whether the human torch comes back or not is really a question that will be answered in time," he said.

"While I will never discount that a character can come back from the dead because it is one of the staples of comic book story telling . I'm not going to tell you if he will, or when he will and if he does, how he will, but I can assure you that it's going to be very, very interesting and not what anyone expects."

OMG! It's not what anyone expects. Hmmmm.... lets see. You're probably going to bring the original Human Torch back 1st. lol

That has already been done is my understanding he even had his own mini series a while back... I think they have brought both of them back actually haven't they ?

So a completed auction search of eBay has these going for about $5 with free shipping.

My guess is a lot of LCS's ordered huge quantity to get multiple variants and then went this way with eBay. Even if it's a (relatively speaking) thud for speculators, the LCS that did that (and sell a marked up variant) are going to be in pretty good shape. That's good for the hobby as a whole, LCS need to survive if you want the print comics to survive (which I do).

Now, in a month or so when the CGC submits start coming back, I wonder how the 9.8 market develops...I've opened two so far (my LCS has plenty so I didn't feel the need to buy multiple multiples) and both are fringe 9.8's at best. I suspect this is going to be a lot like the Superman 75; big premium in 9.8.

They are special variant covers inserted in the bagged editions the number 4 is black..as supposed to blue with the regular editions. CGC WILL NOT.. (and I know you've asked this)..grade them as SS.

They are special variant covers inserted in the bagged editions the number 4 is black..as supposed to blue with the regular editions. CGC WILL NOT.. (and I know you've asked this)..grade them as SS.

Yes I have asked that how ever its not what I was asking this time time thank you ever so much :makepoint: nothing beats someone helping ya & insulting ya at the same time I tell ya (shrug)

Yes I have asked that how ever its not what I was asking this time time thank you ever so much :makepoint: nothing beats someone helping ya & insulting ya at the same time I tell ya (shrug)

I'll take a shot. :shy:

I've heard that they are 1:130 ratio. I don't own or work in a shop, but the rumor I heard was 1 per case of 130. That sounds strange to me, because I didn't think LCS had to order comics in cases like action figures or beer. lol

But even the case rumor is starting to be disputed. Apparantly, there are reports of dealers unbagging entire cases and not finding any.

The other thing of interest is that people are saying there are 2 types of bags out there. The difference is the quality of the white in the FF logo. Some are solid white and can't be seen through, while others are more transparent. Stores got all of one type which means it might be a lack of color towards the end of the printing process. If your LCS was lucky and got the more transparent bag, you could actually tell if the variant was inside.

I haven't heard anything else knew.

I'll take a shot. :shy:

I've heard that they are 1:130 ratio. I don't own or work in a shop, but the rumor I heard was 1 per case of 130. That sounds strange to me, because I didn't think LCS had to order comics in cases like action figures or beer. lol

But even the case rumor is starting to be disputed. Apparantly, there are reports of dealers unbagging entire cases and not finding any.

The other thing of interest is that people are saying there are 2 types of bags out there. The difference is the quality of the white in the FF logo. Some are solid white and can't be seen through, while others are more transparent. Stores got all of one type which means it might be a lack of color towards the end of the printing process. If your LCS was lucky and got the more transparent bag, you could actually tell if the variant was inside.

I haven't heard anything else knew.

(worship) So I guess everyone out there knows this by now & no point in even hoping to get one if you find one to buy someplace lol

had to drive an hour for me to find a copy and store was limiting to one per person. and this was around 9:45pm before the store closed at 10pm. since my wife was with me, we had a lovely dinner in a hotel for $100. costing more than the book. =)

had to drive an hour for me to find a copy and store was limiting to one per person. and this was around 9:45pm before the store closed at 10pm. since my wife was with me, we had a lovely dinner in a hotel for $100. costing more than the book. =)

Ahh... but buying the wife a lovely $100 dinner provides other benefits you can't get from comics...

Chase Variant: one of the hidden Fantastic Four #587 Variants, which was packed one per case 1 in 130 Fantastic Four Logo is in BLACK INK instead of BLUE INK

and Signed by Writer Jonathan Hickman in Silver ....

There is a few on ebay going around $122+ link below ( copy and paste if needed )

http://cgi.ebay.com/FANTASTIC-FOUR-587-VARIANT-SIGNED-WRITER-1ST-PRINT-/370478987347?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564244b853

ebay item # 370478987347 or 390283663166 and 300519151754

this issue seems to be about as hot as the torch is right now. is it getting any premium on ebay? doesn't seem like it.

People are buying them at a little over cover, the variants seem to be the ones going for the big money. Larry sold one of the auto chase variants for $299.99 on Ebay.

I'd sure like to know how on earth Larry sells one of these for $300, but my partner's BIN of $250 gets knocked out....

:screwy:

Or maybe.......

hm