• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Family Collecting Thread!
3 3

1,567 posts in this topic

That's cool Steve!

I sent in the HoM 200 Oakland years ago and it came back a 9.6. I traded it to Steve Ritter at San Diego and not longer after it reappeared as a 9.8 census highest doh!

That's cool Steve!

I sent in the HoM 200 Oakland years ago and it came back a 9.6. I traded it to Steve Ritter at San Diego and not longer after it reappeared as a 9.8 census highest doh!

Traded it for what?

SLR

wf57.jpg

Bought this book at Cherokee Books for a dime. Still have it to this day. Great cover and great story. ActionComics2112.jpg

A dime? Where is this Cherokee Books?

Nice copy too. It presents better than 6.5.

(thumbs u

"Hepcat",

Cherokee Book shop was a used/antiquarin book store on Hollyhood Blvd in Hollywood, Calif. It was owned by Bart Blum. I believed it opened in the 1950s. Well, one day, in the early 1960s, his brother,Bert, bought a couple of footlockers at auction. Both were locked tight. When, Bert Blum managed to pry open the footlockers, he found thousands of comic books. He approached his brother and asked him if he could use the loft upstairs to sell the books and thus, one of the first, maybe the first comic book store devoted to selling back issue comics opened in the USA. In the back office of the loft is where you would find Bert and the more expensive Golden Age and early Silver and pre-Silver books. In the narrow aisle leading to the back office, Bert fashioned comic book boxes exactly the type you find today in comic book shops. On each box he would tape a cover of the title of the book. At the time comics were selling for 12 cents, but Bert would sell all his books for a dime. Anyway, the store remained opened until the early or mid 1970s. Eventually, his brother decided to move operations to the Third Street Mall in Santa Monica, Calif probably 15-20 miles away, but culturally a million miles away. Anway, that's the story of Cherokee. I may have some details wrong and other SoCal board member can chime in. I bought the Action 211 while in Jr. High in 1965.

SLR

PS--Your country put on a fine show. I enjoyed watching most events in the Olympics. Way back in 1984 at the Los Angeles games I attenended the VolleyBall games. Of course there was no "Beach volleyball" and I still think that's an event that should never be in the Olympics anymore than a two on two basketball game. Just my opinion.

Edited by Stevenrams

That's cool Steve!

Traded it for what?

SLR

wf57.jpg

I say you came out smelling like a rose on that trade. Congrats. Fantastic book!

Anyway, the store(Cherokee Book Shop) remained opened until the early or mid 1970s.

What? You mean it's closed now? And here I had visions of filling in my DC Silver Age Want List for a dime each. Drat. There's always a catch.

:(

Edited by Hepcat

"Hepcat",

Cherokee Book shop was a used/antiquarin book store on Hollyhood Blvd in Hollywood, Calif. It was owned by Bart Blum. I believed it opened in the 1950s. Well, one day, in the early 1960s, his brother,Bert, bought a couple of footlockers at auction. Both were locked tight. When, Bert Blum managed to pry open the footlockers, he found thousands of comic books. He approached his brother and asked him if he could use the loft upstairs to sell the books and thus, one of the first, maybe the first comic book store devoted to selling back issue comics opened in the USA. In the back office of the loft is where you would find Bert and the more expensive Golden Age and early Silver and pre-Silver books. In the narrow aisle leading to the back office, Bert fashioned comic book boxes exactly the type you find today in comic book shops. On each box he would tape a cover of the title of the book. At the time comics were selling for 12 cents, but Bert would sell all his books for a dime. Anyway, the store remained opened until the early or mid 1970s. Eventually, his brother decided to move operations to the Third Street Mall in Santa Monica, Calif probably 15-20 miles away, but culturally a million miles away. Anway, that's the story of Cherokee. I may have some details wrong and other SoCal board member can chime in. I bought the Action 211 while in Jr. High in 1965.

SLR

I love your book stories and reminiscences Steve :cloud9: