• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Family Collecting Thread!
3 3

1,567 posts in this topic

Not enough can be said about the So Cal comic scene of the 60's and 70's. I got to experience a little bit in the late 70's. My uncle owned a restaurant in the 70s’ on Hollywood Blvd. called Stars Deli. I used to go there on the weekends and hang out on Hollywood Blvd. going to all the comic shops, and there were more than a few.

I went into Cherokee a few times, I think it was past its heyday by then, but it was a legendary store even then. I also hung out and bought a lot of books at Bond Street Book Store, the guy who owned it was awesome. He used to tell me about his complete Walt Disney Comics and Stories collection. He had a great store just stacked with stuff all over the place.

There were so many other cool stores on Hollywood Blvd. My Uncle’s restaurant was next door to an old movie theater, one that had been around forever and still showed movies. I remember going in there to see the Clint Eastwood movie, the Gauntlet. One day my Uncle shows be his basement, and takes me on a tour of the tunnel’s under Hollywood Blvd. They go on forever! The movie theater had old movie theater junk in a cage under their property. It was pretty exciting to walk around there.

There was a 15 to 20 year gap from those days to the next time I went to Hollywood. I took my wife and daughter there. Everything I liked about it was gone, it was just a trashy dive. A real shame, but I was glad to have at least experienced it a little before it was all gone.

Yes, Bond St. Books on Wilcox was a great book store. The owner used to have a display case where he would display comics, pulps, bios and autobios of movie stars and celebrities. I bought my Action Comics 252 there and a few early Marvels as well. Today on Wilcox you can find Grey's Papyaya Hot Dogs' finally tried one and they were great.

SLR

Not enough can be said about the So Cal comic scene of the 60's and 70's. I got to experience a little bit in the late 70's. My uncle owned a restaurant in the 70s’ on Hollywood Blvd. called Stars Deli. I used to go there on the weekends and hang out on Hollywood Blvd. going to all the comic shops, and there were more than a few.

I went into Cherokee a few times, I think it was past its heyday by then, but it was a legendary store even then. I also hung out and bought a lot of books at Bond Street Book Store, the guy who owned it was awesome. He used to tell me about his complete Walt Disney Comics and Stories collection. He had a great store just stacked with stuff all over the place.

Wow! I probably never would have stopped collecting comics had there been stores like that for back issues in my neck of the woods in 1964.

:juggle:

I've wanted a nice copy of this ever since I first saw a rag copy at the LCS. Not high grade but not bad. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Act_219_55.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

....that's what's so cool about D.C......I see one I've never seen before at every show I go to. I saw a cool Jimmy Olsen at Richmond with Jimmy playing chess in some water tank.....nice yellow cover that was SO cool. GOD BLESS....

....that's what's so cool about D.C......I see one I've never seen before at every show I go to. I saw a cool Jimmy Olsen at Richmond with Jimmy playing chess in some water tank.....nice yellow cover that was SO cool. GOD BLESS....

That cover kinda reminds me of Uncle Scrooge in his counting house :)

Anyone here know if the first story in World's Finest Comics 71 has ever been reprinted either in comic book form or in a collection? Please LMK as I bought a nice CGC copy of the book from GAtor at San Diego last week. I would love to read the story.

Thanks,

SLR

Anyone here know if the first story in World's Finest Comics 71 has ever been reprinted either in comic book form or in a collection? Please LMK as I bought a nice CGC copy of the book from GAtor at San Diego last week. I would love to read the story.

Thanks,

SLR

....I hope you know that you're my friend.... Johnny 5 with.....INPUT ! ....GOD BLESS....

Thanks,

SLR

Yes, DC has a black and white World's Finest paperback out that reprints the Superman/Batman stories from 71-100.

Thanks,

SLR

Yes, DC has a black and white World's Finest paperback out that reprints the Superman/Batman stories from 71-100.

It's also been reprinted in World's Finest #179.

Thanks,

SLR

It's also been reprinted in World's Finest #179.

(thumbs u

wf179.jpg

Thanks, Dan. I was alphabetizing my collection this morning and I found a copy of World's Finest 179. Heck, I didn't even realize I had a copy of that book. Pretty nice grade too. Now I can read the story. Oh, BTW, my Superboy #1 came back from CGC today: a CGC 5.0 with White pages. Stephen Ritter graded it a CGC 4.5 with OW/W pages. I guess that was because of a stain on the back. I'll scan it but I think my wife has my camera and she's out this evening. Anway, I was pleasantly surprised; it's a great-looking book and I got it over $500 under the current guide list. Pretty cool for a major key. Well, maybe I'll use her camera to scan it.

SLR