• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Family Collecting Thread!
3 3

1,567 posts in this topic

not every casual viewer of this thread would appreciate how hard Sperman 123 is to get in nice shape. That is a great copy!

All DC titles start to get scarcer when you get to 1958 and earlier, so it doesn't surprise me to hear you say that.

Great book, Steve! I saw pics of your Socal Convention haul. Nice going. Enjoy the Wizard Convention later this month. :whee:

Yes, I picked up a few nice books in the OC last week. And thanks for your generous comment about the Superman 123. Indeed a tough book to find in that grade or higher.

SLR

disclaimer: I own a copy already, I am not bidding on this, I don't own it or know who does.

Now that's over with. Look at how awesome this copy looks. I am pretty sure my copy is the Toth, which is nice in it's own right, but colors just POP on these Oregon books, and pages can blind you. This issue has such a great cover:

you know you want to click on this link!

not every casual viewer of this thread would appreciate how hard Sperman 123 is to get in nice shape.

Well I certainly do, but I guess most people wouldn't classify me as a casual reader, and almost none a casual collector!

All DC titles start to get scarcer when you get to 1958 and earlier, so it doesn't surprise me to hear you say that.

It's an exponential curve. I'd say the available quantity of the DC titles drops by about 25% per year moving back in time from 1965. By the time one is back to 1959, it's very difficult indeed. Using my 25% per year axiom, comics from 1959 could be only 17.9% as common as those from 1965 while comics from 1958 could be only 13.3% as common.

:juggle:

disclaimer: I own a copy already, I am not bidding on this, I don't own it or know who does.

Now that's over with. Look at how awesome this copy looks. I am pretty sure my copy is the Toth, which is nice in it's own right, but colors just POP on these Oregon books, and pages can blind you. This issue has such a great cover:

you know you want to click on this link!

I distinctly remember the Oregon collection. I had 2 early 60's DC top census books that I had graded at the same time the Oregon's were brought to market. Needless to say, the Oregon's in the same grade sold for 2X and 1.5X what I realized for my nice copies. OW and OW/W don't seem to beat straight W pages. The gloss and vividness of colors on the Oregon books were superior, too.

I've only recently delved into the bottomless pit that is Superman family collecting, but I did pick up some low grade books recently that I am quite happy with. These are my first 10 centers for both titles:

SAM_0489.jpg

The Action #255 was part of an ebay lot of 6 random comics for $10 shipped, so I paid $1.67 for it. The Superman #129 was sent to me by a benevolent boardie in the Pay It Forward thread (along with a bunch of other cool stuff, like 80 Page Giant #4), so I didn't pay money for it, I just paid it forward to someone else in other comics.

Now if only I can score similar deals for the 20 million Superman comics I am still missing. hm

Welcome Crimebuster! You found the right thread! Those are two great books to start with. The 129 has a great first appearance of Lori Lemaris and the 255 is *I believe" the first ever continued Superman story. Great books!

One of the first 10c books I bought as a grown up collector was Superboy #77.

I found a copy at a local comic book shop which had recently opened.

I had originally read the cover story, many years earlier, in Adventure Comics #319.

AdventureComics319.jpg

A few years ago I was pleased to acquire the Toth copy of Superboy #77.

Superboy_77_9-2_zps89a562a7.jpg

Here is the story from the cover.

sb771_zps8a7547b0.jpg

sb772_zpsccf4841e.jpg

sb773_zps3786f8c1.jpg

sb774_zps2a204b19.jpg

sb775_zps35bde8c8.jpg

sb776_zps49943644.jpg

sb777_zps2f9763a0.jpg

sb778_zps32914133.jpg

sb779_zps47f1474e.jpg

Edited by steelcity

I am interested in posting some of my favorite splash pages and some favorite stories. This will be something new to me as I have tended to just post covers. This thread seems an ideal place to do so.

Excellent idea! :headbang:

While not exactly Silver Age, and not Golden Age, this splash should work here.

From Superman #89

SUPS_89SP.jpg

One of the first 10c books I bought as a grown up collector was Superboy #77.

I found a copy at a local comic book shop which had recently opened.

I had originally read the cover story, many years earlier, in Adventure Comics #319.

AdventureComics319.jpg

A few years ago I was pleased to acquire the Toth copy of Superboy #77.

Superboy_77_9-2_zps89a562a7.jpg

Those are really astonishing copies!

(thumbs u

I finally have a copy of this grail of mine. Won this one in the February Comiclink auction. :banana: :banana: :banana:

8542528014_52960a864b_b.jpg

NIce pickup. Great looking book. I have a nice mid-grade copy but after seeing your copy, I think I'll try to upgrade. Thanks for sharing.

SLR