• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Family Collecting Thread!
3 3

1,567 posts in this topic

Sold to me raw as a 4.5 due to an ink stain on the back cover, the book came back a higher grade with perfect PQ. A grail of mine for many years, I finally snagged a copy for way below guide thanks to the Colonel, Stephen Ritter: Superboy1.jpg

Sold to me raw as a 4.5 due to an ink stain on the back cover, the book came back a higher grade with perfect PQ. A grail of mine for many years, I finally snagged a copy for way below guide thanks to the Colonel, Stephen Ritter: Superboy1.jpg

Great looking book, Steve. Congrats! :applause:

Great looking book, Steve. Congrats! :applause: [/quote

Thanks "Scooter99" That's high praise coming from you!

SLR

Do you know the grade?

Yes, found out today since it shipped out yesterday. Graded out as a CGC 5.0 with OW/W pages. I thought it would grade at least a 5.5 so I'm disappointed though I'm satisfied with the PQ. Goldman claimed it was a .5.5 and he's usually spot on but you just never know how CGC will grade a book. I believe it looks much nicer than the grade given as I recall, but I'll scan it when the book arrives.

SLR

Do you know the grade?

Yes, found out today since it shipped out yesterday. Graded out as a CGC 5.0 with OW/W pages. I thought it would grade at least a 5.5 so I'm disappointed though I'm satisfied with the PQ. Goldman claimed it was a .5.5 and he's usually spot on but you just never know how CGC will grade a book. I believe it looks much nicer than the grade given as I recall, but I'll scan it when the book arrives.

SLR

I think we are entering a phase of tighter grading, after all the flak they have received lately over gift grades etc. Tough break Steve.

Do you know the grade?

SLR

I think we are entering a phase of tighter grading, after all the flak they have received lately over gift grades etc. Tough break Steve.

Actually, it's a beautiful-looking book, but I'll have to contact Mike to see about an adjustment or credit at next year's Comic-Con since he claimed it was a CGC 5.5. Sure that's only a half-grade lower but on a major key that translates to a considerable amount of funds. So I'm not completely disappointed. That book has very vibrant and vivid colors which is tough to find on that book.

SLR

Do you know the grade?

SLR

Actually, it's a beautiful-looking book, but I'll have to contact Mike to see about an adjustment or credit at next year's Comic-Con since he claimed it was a CGC 5.5. Sure that's only a half-grade lower but on a major key that translates to a considerable amount of funds. So I'm not completely disappointed. That book has very vibrant and vivid colors which is tough to find on that book.

SLR

Oh sure, its a great looking book, no doubt about that. One of the best I've seen. I'm sure if you re-sub in the future, it will get the grade it deserves :wishluck:

Do you know the grade?

SLR

SLR

Oh sure, its a great looking book, no doubt about that. One of the best I've seen. I'm sure if you re-sub in the future, it will get the grade it deserves :wishluck:

Believe me that thought has crossed my mind. Maybe I'll take it to the Long Beach Con in early November and resubmit it.

SLR

Picked this up fora VERY good price in the Sunday HA Auction....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

SUPERMAN100.jpg

That may have been the first cover ever trumpeting a milestone issue!

(thumbs u

Picked this up fora VERY good price in the Sunday HA Auction....GOD BLESS...

SUPERMAN100.jpg

That may have been the first cover ever trumpeting a milestone issue!

(thumbs u

That's a nice copy. I had a copy back in the 80s that was beater and I loved it. It was my oldest book for a long time.

Here's the JO 1 I purchased raw which the dealer called a 5.5 with real nice pages. As you can see CGC gave it a 5.0 with OW/W pages. It's a real nice-looking copy. I've contacted the dealer who's is good guy because a half-grade difference on a high-ticket item translates into major funds so we'll see what happens. Looks better than a 5.0 to me:

JimmyOlsen1.jpg

Edited by Stevenrams

Here's the JO 1 I purchased raw which the dealer called a 5.5 with real nice pages. As you can see CGC gave it a 5.0 with OW/W pages. It's a real nice-looking copy. I've contacted the dealer who's is good guy because a half-grade difference on a high-ticket item translates into major funds so we'll see what happens. Looks better than a 5.0 to me:

JimmyOlsen1.jpg

That's a pretty one.....and quite an ethical quandry .....is the dealer liable for a book advertised as 5.5, that came back as a 5.0, that really SHOULD have come back 5.5 ? GOD BLESS....