• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Family Collecting Thread!
3 3

1,567 posts in this topic

Picked this up fora VERY good price in the Sunday HA Auction....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

SUPERMAN100.jpg

That may have been the first cover ever trumpeting a milestone issue!

(thumbs u

That's a nice copy. I had a copy back in the 80s that was beater and I loved it. It was my oldest book for a long time.

Wow!! That's a beautiful copy, Jimbo. Did Heritage assign it a grade? Anyway, congrats on the purchase of one of my favorite comics. I own a copy that I bought raw and it came back a CGC 7.5 but with only Cream/OW pages. I would've preferred at least OW. Anyway, the colors on your copy really pop.

SLR

They called it a VG and it went for a real bargain. I narrowly missed a CGC 8.5 Superman 104 @ only $ 325 :pullhair: I was at work that night.....I love the Superman books with Boring covers. That huge signature auction distracted people from this auction I think. HA's raw grading has been REAL good lately. I also missed out on that sweet Superman 66 cgc 8.5 in the Sig Auction. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Here's the JO 1 I purchased raw which the dealer called a 5.5 with real nice pages. As you can see CGC gave it a 5.0 with OW/W pages. It's a real nice-looking copy. I've contacted the dealer who's is good guy because a half-grade difference on a high-ticket item translates into major funds so we'll see what happens. Looks better than a 5.0 to me:

Did you purchase the comic at his table during a convention or was it by mail order?

???

Here's the JO 1 I purchased raw which the dealer called a 5.5 with real nice pages. As you can see CGC gave it a 5.0 with OW/W pages. It's a real nice-looking copy. I've contacted the dealer who's is good guy because a half-grade difference on a high-ticket item translates into major funds so we'll see what happens. Looks better than a 5.0 to me:

Did you purchase the comic at his table during a convention or was it by mail order?

???

This something I was wondering too, because I can't see you having any comeback if it was over the table? Personally I allow Dealers a pinch of salt with their grading, i.e. half a grade either way. Its too subjective to expect them to be bang on every time, especially as CGC's grade is only an opinion too, and with them tightening up recently as well. Its a lottery. There are some Dealers who can grade consistently well, but they are few and far between. 2c

Mine is a 5.0 as well. It looks a lot better except it has a little chipping on the top edge. The other three edges are nice. Any JO above a 5.0 is a high grade copy.

I would be a bit surprised if Motor City did anything to compensate for the grade coming in a .5 less than they predicted. Look at it this way, if CGC had given it a 6.0, would you owe Motor City anything? Steve Ritter said the Superboy 1 was a 4.5 and it came back a 5.0, should he expect anything? It works out in the end. Now if a purple label was involved, that would be a different story.

I think due to the subjectivity of CGC, .5 is a perfectly acceptable differentiation on dealer grades.

Hopefully you like the book regardless of what the dealer graded it or what CGC did. That's how I feel about my JO 1. It came back from CGC way less than what Robert Roter graded it, no way he would ever make it up to me lol

???

I purchased it at Comic-Con raw and then went over to CGC's table and submittied it.

SLR

Mine is a 5.0 as well. It looks a lot better except it has a little chipping on the top edge. The other three edges are nice. Any JO above a 5.0 is a high grade copy.

I would be a bit surprised if Motor City did anything to compensate for the grade coming in a .5 less than they predicted. Look at it this way, if CGC had given it a 6.0, would you owe Motor City anything? Steve Ritter said the Superboy 1 was a 4.5 and it came back a 5.0, should he expect anything? It works out in the end. Now if a purple label was involved, that would be a different story.

I think due to the subjectivity of CGC, .5 is a perfectly acceptable differentiation on dealer grades.

Hopefully you like the book regardless of what the dealer graded it or what CGC did. That's how I feel about my JO 1. It came back from CGC way less than what Robert Roter graded it, no way he would ever make it up to me lol

I suppose you're right, Dan. I guess with CGC you never really know. It's one thing to be two or three grades off--another thing to be only .5 off. Yes, I stiil like the book very much. Sure, the dealer was pretty insistent that it would come back a 5.5 and he claimed it was the best copy he had ever seen or at least had ever personally possessed. It's a great copy and I love the colors and it's strucurally sound. I really couln't ask for more. Thanks for chiming in.

SLR

I suppose you're right, Dan. I guess with CGC you never really know. It's one thing to be two or three grades off--another thing to be only .5 off. Yes, I stiil like the book very much. Sure, the dealer was pretty insistent that it would come back a 5.5 and he claimed it was the best copy he had ever seen or at least had ever personally possessed. It's a great copy and I love the colors and it's strucurally sound. I really couln't ask for more. Thanks for chiming in.

SLR

This would suggest you are onto a ^^ with this book.

If you are happy with it, that's all that matters (thumbs u

1965LL059731.jpg

That's an absolutely fabulous cover concept! For decades I spurned the Lois Lane title when it came to buying and collecting comics but covers such as the #59 eventually won me over and now I wish I'd gotten an earlier start on the title.

:cool:

Upgrade! :luhv:

superman149.jpg

HA HA! Mine has White Pages and yours doesn't!

SLR

Seriously though that copy is a beauty. And believe it or not I still have the copy I bought at Cherokee Bookshop while I was in junior high school in the mid 1960s. I'll scan it over the weekend.

JimmyOlsen1.jpg

If I were the dealer I would absolutely, without hesitation, refund your money and take the book back.

Quality customer service dictates doing so. (thumbs u