• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Family Collecting Thread!
3 3

1,567 posts in this topic

and lastly, a good imaginary story:

wf172.jpg

For a "Superman Family" thread you can't get closer than this story.

Probably my favorite WF issue of all and I remember well the day I first got this issue off the stand. My uncle arrived at our summer place late in the day. It was early season 1968 and I was so pleased when he offered to buy me a book. A late evening treat. The local shop was a typical beach shack, full of sweet plastic smells and colorful items. They only sold DC and these were always on a spinner rack. Sometimes they had lots in, sometimes not many and often issues would have cover dates well earlier than the time they were being sold.

That evening, in the fading gloom, I spotted WF #172 and looked no further. I read it in bed that night and it was one of those perfect comic book buying occasions, with real excitement and eagerness on my part. That evening, more than all my adult buying, was about the purest form of comic book enjoyment I have ever known. I still have that same book, very well read.

My Uncle sadly died in 1993 and I still miss him. Regarding comic books, even now I am in many ways still the child collector. I am always trying to recapture the spirit of those long gone days.

That's a great story Ian. I too have a well loved copy of that issue, I have re-read it a number of times. For pure fun, World's Finest was alway sone of my favorites, due probably to the the more whimsical nature of the stories.

168 is a tougher than average issue to acquire in nice shape, at least for me it was

I for one will take your word for it, as you have one of the finest Superman and related titles collections on these boards. :headbang:

I really appreciate the compliment, but honestly, they are many incredible collections both from board and non board members that make mine look pale by comparison. I just happen to share my collection very openly. I may, however, have one of the most complete Silver age Superman related collections.

And honestly, complete or not, I am constantly upgrading. I have a steadily growing stack of reader copies that have been replaced by better looking copies. It is an aspect of collecting that will allow me to enjoy the continuation of this collection for many years to come.