• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Family Collecting Thread!
3 3

1,567 posts in this topic

ActionComics161-1.jpg

I would love to read that story!

It is one of the better stories of the era. I read it a couple of times before having it slabbed about a year ago. Bought it from Michael Goldman. He's always right on with his grading. He called it about a VF or VF+ in the days before CGC. Michelle Nolan ranks it as one of the rarest Actions in an article in the old CBM. I'll have to dig up the issue. I have it somewhere.

SLR

Dan,

Again, I wish you a Merry Christmas to you, Doreen and your lovely family and your newest addition Autumn Ann ( I hoped I remembered her name correctly. Anyway, I've been hit with bad news this Hannukka/Christmas season. One of my best friends, Steve Thatt, who was at my wedding, which means you met him since you were also at my wedding, died suddenly yesterday. He was only 53 years old and leaves behind a wonderful wife, stepson, Ernie, and daughter, Rebecca. Ernie called me yesterday with the bad news and I'm still in shock. We started our teaching carrers together and we first met in the English Dept. at CS

UN in Northridge, Calif. I tell you: "Life is so unfair" Steve was a paragon of health; very rarely ate red meat; always maintained the correct weigt for his size and height. He was just prepared to retire after spending the first 20 years in the classroom and the last 10 as a high-school counselor. I tell you, life is so fragile.

SLR

Edited by Stevenrams

Dan,

Again, I wish you a Merry Christmas to you, Doreen and your lovely family and your newest addition Autumn Ann ( I hoped I remembered her name correctly. Anyway, I've been hit with bad news this Hannukka/Christmas season. One of my best friends, Steve Thatt, who was at my wedding, which means you met him since you were also at my wedding, died suddenly yesterday. He was only 53 years old and leaves behind a wonderful wife, stepson, Ernie, and daughter, Rebecca. Ernie called me yesterday with the bad news and I'm still in shock. We started our teaching carrers together and we first met in the English Dept. at CS

UN in Northridge, Calif. I tell you: "Life is so unfair" Steve was a paragon of health; very rarely ate red meat; always maintained the correct weigt for his size and height. He was just prepared to retire after spending the first 20 years in the classroom and the last 10 as a high-school counselor. I tell you, life is so fragile.

SLR

That's horrible Steve, it always is sad to hear a story like that. Happy Hannukka to you and Marsha!

More of the Bubble theme. Even Superman, as pre Superbaby has a floating half bubble stroller. :cool:

Note in the right middle background, at what first glance appears to be a low table, is a futuristic highway upon closer inspection.

SPJO_36.jpg

Edited by frozentundraguy

Seeing the Action 242 thread made me think of a question.

What are the top 10 silver age keys a Superman family collector would want? Here are some I think are MUST haves, would like to here from everyone:

Superman 100

Action 242

Action 252

Lois Lane 1

Adventure 247

Adventure 300

Superboy 68

The following three are just....pre code by a couple months, but for most of us they are major SA Supes keys:

Jimmy Olsen 1

Adventure 210

World's Finest 71

This is my top 10 list (in no particular order)

So, you can see I left out Showcase 9 and 10.....they just don't do it for me...

What do you guys think?

peewee, you have me beat. On my own top 10 list I dont have Action 242 or WF 71 or Adventure 210. And I don't have the two Showcases either.

Since this email, we (Bryan an I) made an offer on ebay for a Showcase 10. Jusr a CGC 4.5 not real high grade (it's affordable). :wishluck:

Seeing the Action 242 thread made me think of a question.

What are the top 10 silver age keys a Superman family collector would want? Here are some I think are MUST haves, would like to here from everyone:

Superman 100

Action 242

Action 252

Lois Lane 1

Adventure 247

Adventure 300

Superboy 68

The following three are just....pre code by a couple months, but for most of us they are major SA Supes keys:

Jimmy Olsen 1

Adventure 210

World's Finest 71

This is my top 10 list (in no particular order)

So, you can see I left out Showcase 9 and 10.....they just don't do it for me...

What do you guys think?

I would add to the list the following books:

Superman 123

Superman 146

Superman 147

All are difficult to find in ultra-high grade. Granted, there are eight CGC 9.2 copies of Superman 146, but how many come to market in any given year? And there is only one CGC 9.4, the highest graded. And when was the last time, you saw a ninth CGC 9.2 copy. Of course, they could be out there, but perhaps collectors don't feel a need to slab the book if they're not going to sell. The 9.2 copy of Superman 147 went for nearly 4 grand on C-link a couple of months back.

SLR

PS-I think I would also add Superman Annual #1. I think the highest graded is only a 9.0 Definiitely a key book!

Edited by Stevenrams