• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Family Collecting Thread!
3 3

1,567 posts in this topic

A couple more cool Action covers from the early 12 cent era (AKA 1962)

act290.jpg

The 1961-62 period was fabulous for the Superman mythos. And that particular issue doesn't seem to come up very often.

(shrug)

Here are scans of three of my later Superman comics:

15-11-201163248PM.jpg

15-11-201163245PM.jpg

15-11-201163252PM.jpg

:cool:

switching gears a little,

gonna post a couple of 12 cent Action covers I really like.

Action Comics is such a great run, in some ways the 60's issues get little love, but there is such a huge variety over the decade.

Anyways, here is the first one, a totally goofy cover, but I saw it in a lot of ads in other comics and always wanted to read it:

act354.jpg

two parters were common in Action by this time, but this one is kinds cool, they did a couple stories about the Superman of the future, 2966 I think. Kind of weird that from a continuity perspective this character had no interaction with the Legion, and if I remember correctly, the Legion never made reference of a current Superman

act338.jpg

Hepcat & Silver,

Some very nice issues there. I particularily like Superman # 173. It seems like every Brainiac cover is excellent. (thumbs u In addition you have to like Muto the Monarch of Menace in Action 338. :headbang:

I recently acquired this issue. Luthor does not appear to be overjoyed with Superman as his lawyer. (shrug)

ACTN_292.jpg

Luthor covers are fun as well, nice copy!

Thanks Silver,

I have a few more new additions to my collection, but before I get to those I have a couple of low grade favorites from the 150's.

The forgotten or down and out Superman was a theme that occurred a few times in the S.A.

SUPS_150.jpg

I seem to recall this green and purple dragon appeared on at least three covers. :cry:

SUPS_151.jpg

I recently acquired this issue. Luthor does not appear to be overjoyed with Superman as his lawyer. (shrug)

ACTN_292.jpg

That's another great cover concept! The Superman titles had so many compelling cover hooks.

I may be wrong but I think that's one of the tougher Action issues to find from 1962. I haven't seen it very often myself.

(shrug)

That's another great cover concept! The Superman titles had so many compelling cover hooks.

I may be wrong but I think that's one of the tougher Action issues to find from 1962. I haven't seen it very often myself.

(shrug)

Im inclined to agree. I just have not seen that issue for sale too often myself.

I have another recent acquisition, from 1959. Normally books from the late 50's are less plentifull. It could be just a statistical fluke, but there are quite a few for sale recently. Doesn't Congorilla seems to nearly dominate this cover, despite the fact that he is squeezed into the lower corner of the book. hm

The first appearance of Congorilla.

ACTN_248.jpg

Edited by frozentundraguy

I will add a cover to the thread just because I haven't in awhile:

This is a book I bought early in my collecting of the Superman Family books, and read from cover to cover. Books like this were always a favorite of mine before the internet era due to the back issue references:

80page10.jpg

Well worth another peek Hepcat. (thumbs u

Thanks to Silver for posting this book not too long ago. :applause:

ACTN_289.jpg

Another recent acquisition. Has anyone seen Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn in the 1938 film 'Brining Up Baby" recently? It makes me wonder if Grant was the inspriation for Superman. In the movie, when Grant has a hat and glasses on he looks like Kent, and a bit like Superman when they are off. hm A quick check on the Wiki article on Clark Kent confirms this has been noticed before. :flamed:

ACTN_297.jpg

Edited by frozentundraguy