• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Family Collecting Thread!
3 3

1,567 posts in this topic

Superman115.jpg

Years ago an ad appeared in the CBG. Seller claimed he had about 25 mid-1950s Supermans and Actions. The seller lived within 15 miles from my home and he kindly let me come over and look at the books. All books were 25 bucks apiece. I cherry picked the 12 best copies. I still have them all. Here's one of them:

Superman82.jpg

Here's another one from the same OO "Canoga Park, Calif" collection. It's a book you don't see very often. Also, Superman was being published bi-monthly at the time. I guess with Kefaufer hearings on comics and Wertham's book denouning much of the medium sales had fallen off and even DC's flagship tiltle was selling fewer and fewer copies. BTW for those history buffs Senator Estes Kefaufer was Adlai Stevenson's running mate in 1956 running against Eisenhower-Nixon. This is a great book by the way with good stories and art. The head WAC sure is depiteced with looks that can kill. I used to give the same looks as a teacher with recalcitrant students. Sure did the job! Finally, since I was born in June 1953 this books was on the newsstands at the time of my birth.

Edited by Stevenrams

Superman82.jpg

Here's another one from the same OO "Canoga Park, Calif" collection. It's a book you don't see very often. Also, Superman was being published bi-monthly at the time. I guess with Kefaufer hearings on comics and Wertham's book denouning much of the medium sales had fallen off and even DC's flagship tiltle was selling fewer and fewer copies. BTW for those history buffs Senator Estes Kefaufer was Adlai Stevenson's running mate in 1956 running against Eisenhower-Nixon. This is a great book by the way with good stories and art. The head WAC sure is depiteced with looks that can kill. I used to give the same looks as a teacher with recalcitrant students. Sure did the job!

Awesome deal your worked out for this collection! :headbang:

Back in the day all it took was a stern stare to tame rowdy students. I wonder what today's teachers must resort to. :pullhair:

DetectiveComics210.jpg

This was the only non Superman or Action in the OO collection that I bought In the mid 1980s. I had never seen a copy and was in pretty nice great and contained a Mysto the Magician backup feature. The feature ran for only 10 issues, but they were great stories. Anyway, that's it for now; Ill dig out the rest later. Gotta fix me some lunch. Perhaps one day I'll sell this collection. The guy who I bought it from must've been an octogenerian so obviously he's no longer alive. May he RIP. And thanks "old man" for selling me some great books!

Superman128.jpg

This issue was one of the few very early 1960s book (July 1960). Early Titanto appearnce. Full cover gloss and vibrant colors. One of my faves.

Excellent copy. (thumbs u

One of my favorites also. :cloud9:

This cover swipes from King Kong, and exceed's it IMHO. :sumo:

ActionComics200.jpg

From January 1955 Action Comics 200. I always wondered why DC didn't celebrate this milestone as they did with Batman 100 and Superman 100. Nice book colors on this book just the same.

Batman and Superman were the exception, not the rule. DC seemed to only celebrate those titles back then.

It's strange how Adventure and Action 200 are so...underwhelming.

Steve, what is up with the cut of that Action 200?

Feel free to post more mid 50's stuff, I love that era!

Superman106.jpg

Superman109.jpg

Superman115.jpg

Superman128.jpg

Years ago an ad appeared in the CBG. Seller claimed he had about 25 mid-1950s Supermans and Actions. The seller lived within 15 miles from my home and he kindly let me come over and look at the books. All books were 25 bucks apiece. I cherry picked the 12 best copies. I still have them all. Here (are some) of them:

Wow! Great buys!

(thumbs u

Edited by Hepcat

great Lois covers! Very underappreciated title, I really like the Anderson covers.

This is the first Neal Adams cover (cannot remeber if I posted it previously)

ll79.jpg

and this one is one of my favorites, I consider it the first real "revamp" of Lois for the silver age, although the previous Adams cover kind of does that, this one emphasizes it more:

ll80.jpg

notice how out of four covers I posted, three have a theme of Lois marrying Superman? And they said kryptonite was a gimmick!

I would agree. There were many kryptonite stories, but they pale in number compared to the stories with a marriage theme.

What was that saying about a woman scorned? :devil:

If DC had applied something like "real life" reactions to all of the rebuff's Lois endured, it would have been splitsville way sooner.

ActionComics200.jpg

From January 1955 Action Comics 200. I always wondered why DC didn't celebrate this milestone as they did with Batman 100 and Superman 100. Nice book colors on this book just the same.

Batman and Superman were the exception, not the rule. DC seemed to only celebrate those titles back then.

It's strange how Adventure and Action 200 are so...underwhelming.

Steve, what is up with the cut of that Action 200?

Feel free to post more mid 50's stuff, I love that era!

I'm not sure what you mean about the "cut" of the book, Dan. Please elaborate.

Thanks,

SLR

LoisLane124.jpg

Lois had sexy legs, beautiful hair, and great earrings in this cover from July 1972.

BTW, I used to love reading the story arc about the 100. Fun stuff! BTW, I spent nine months in Israel during this period and an uncle of mine bought me a subscription to Lois Lane and Detective. DC sent the books airmail in an envelope marked "Do not bend" and Fragile" on the envelope. This is one of those books.

Edited by Stevenrams