• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Family Collecting Thread!
3 3

1,567 posts in this topic

He quoted my post but was actually inquiring about a booklet and record album a few posts further up..... and I'm drawing a blank. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I was at an auction yesterday that had some ten cent DC's and some early/mid Marvel silver age. The auction house was only half full, as there's a big DC Golden Age auction happening today (as pointed out in the Golden Age forum), so I think more than a few of the local regulars where holding their funds for that auction. Which was good for me, as I finally managed to pick up a copy of World's Finest Comics #100 which has been on my want list for a long time.

WF100_zps2vqjpuud.jpg

For some reason, the price/condition/availability sweet-spot has never merged until now. So happy.

Aside from being an early anniversary issue, and that great purple cover, this is also technically the 2nd appearance of Brainiac. He's only in one panel, which just recaps his first appearance. Time-wise, this issue lands a little less than a year after AC242, and a little more than a year before SGFLL17.

...and here are a few more of the books I picked up at the same auction...

AdvC275_zpsmm3oe0wz.jpg

A timely pick-up with the upcoming release of Batman v Superman later this week. Thought for sure I'd have to pay more for this one than I did.

It's truly surprising that the boy dressed in a Superboy costume will one day grow up to be Superman! Good thing he has a time telescope handy to help figure this stuff out.

Here's a book I've never seen out in the wild before, so was happy to snag it in any condition for my collection.

AdvC266_zps4i6bguk2.jpg

I'm sure that's due to the try-out 1st appearance of Aquagirl in this issue (with some great Ramona Fradon art), but for me it's all about that great Krypto cover!

He quoted my post but was actually inquiring about a booklet and record album a few posts further up..... and I'm drawing a blank. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

looks like cover and 1 page by adams the rest by ross andru

I am hoping for some help finding a story in a Superman or Action Comics. The title of the story was "The Legend of Superman's Costume". The editor referenced in Action Comics #247 (December 1958) that the answer to how Superman's costume was made would be found in an upcoming story by that title (please see below photo).

If anyone knows when that story first appeared, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!!!!

2urquzp.jpg

I am hoping for some help finding a story in a Superman or Action Comics. The title of the story was "The Legend of Superman's Costume". The editor referenced in Action Comics #247 (December 1958) that the answer to how Superman's costume was made would be found in an upcoming story by that title (please see below photo).

Thanks in advance!!!!

2urquzp.jpg

There's a story in Superboy #78 titled, "The Origin of Superboy's Costume!" which the Grand Comics Database says is the first story that tells how it came to be. From January 1960.

Grand Comics Database Entry

Edit: Here's the cover of a Superman Annual that reprinted the story:

2462.jpg

Edited by ttfitz

Thanks in advance!!!!

2urquzp.jpg

There's a story in Superboy #78 titled, "The Origin of Superboy's Costume!" which the Grand Comics Database says is the first story that tells how it came to be. From January 1960.

Grand Comics Database Entry

Wow, that was fast. I have been wondering this for years and after posting it here, I received an answer in 20 minutes.

Thanks to ttfitz for the information and thanks to Jimbo for suggesting I post the question in this thread.

Edited by Hudson

This thread is on my watch list, so it popped up in my email. :)

If you haven't been to the GCDB that my link is to, you really should, it's a great source for this sort of thing. I had to do an advanced search for this one since the exact title of the story didn't match, but searching for a story title with "costume" and the character "Superman" brought the story right up.

This thread is on my watch list, so it popped up in my email. :)

If you haven't been to the GCDB that my link is to, you really should, it's a great source for this sort of thing. I had to do an advanced search for this one since the exact title of the story didn't match, but searching for a story title with "costume" and the character "Superman" brought the story right up.

I did not even know this database existed.

Thank you again.

I knew the story did not appear in Action Comics (as I have those) even though it was in answer to a question found in an Action. I thought maybe it would be in Superman, but I did not even think about Superboy.

I had googled "The Legend of Superman's Costume" and had no luck.

Apparently the editor changed the name of the story (maybe because they made it into a Superboy story).

Given the letter was published in Dec 1958 and this story came out in January 1960, I think the time frame lines up.

Thanks again.

Once more the boards are the place to be. This community is great at helping one another!!!!

I posted a question on here a few days ago and was shocked to receive an answer in 20 minutes. Thank you ttfitz.

Now, I have another question and I am not even sure this is the thread to post it on, but it is about Superman, so here goes.

Please forgive me if this question is better asked on a different thread.

I took a photo of the following three books tonight.

14b2i5k.jpg

Although these look similar, they are obviously not the same.

The one on the far left is of course the original made in the USA copy of Action Comics #247. The next appears to be the British version and is labeled Superman #111. To the far right is what appears to be a version from Mexico and is labeled Superman #225.

I was wondering if anyone knew of ANY other versions or countries that used this same book (cover). If you know of any, please let me know. If you own a different version or have a photo of one and would be kind enough to post it, that would be even better.

Thanks in advance to all the wonderful board members who take time out of their schedule (like ttfits did) to help out a fellow collector like me.

Can't let this thread sit on page two, it needs to be on page 1! Thanks to MyComicShop ( :hi: Conan) and SuperWorld Comics ( :hi: Ted), here are my latest additions to the collection:

Action224_zpsmpo3kxns.jpg

Poor Lois, don't know how she put up with this stuff all those years...

Lois%20Lane025_zpszj6pxzw2.jpg

Jimmy%20Olsen017_zpsewdc6fkm.jpg

Jimmy%20Olsen025_zpsbvuzwibo.jpg

Jimmy%20Olsen026_zpsorzbkwqj.jpg

Jimmy%20Olsen027_zpssywtwcd2.jpg

Superman080_zpsahtrqu7d.jpg