• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Family Collecting Thread!
3 3

1,567 posts in this topic

I made a comment in Paperheart's thread about how much I wanted a book he had but that the funds just weren't right, and low and behold, it showed up at my house today.... courtesy of a very cool boardie who bought it for me...... :o When I was a kid in the mid 60's, my Aunt pulled up one day at my Grandma's house and called my cousins, my sister, and me out to her Chevelle and popped the trunk. It was filled with comics that her students had donated to send to troops in 'Nam ..... but it turned out that shipping was WAY more than she could afford, so she gave them to us. We each got a stack about 2 feet tall, and many of those books are burned into my memory to this very day. Action 344 was one of them. I couldn't read much then, so my Pop read them with me...... they made me want to learn to read. :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Z8Qn0Bc.jpg

Jimbo,

Great story and awesome act of kindness by a fellow board member. Thanks for sharing. That is one awesome looking book. I bet you will treasure it as a keeper.

Every now and then I'll see a book that I first saw in that stack and haven't seen since..... usually the D.C. titles..... as I don't think there are any SA Marvels that I haven't seen again. I still remember seeing a Metamorpho cover in the pile all those years ago..... I think it short circuited my young mind, it was so bizarre..... but after that day, I don't think there was any way that I could have turned back from this life long love of the comic book medium.

Great stuff, great stories!

(thumbs u

This thread needs a :bump:

This book arrived today...

33aap01.jpg

That's a good one - and the highest issue number on my want list.

What kind of grade are you looking for?

This is a tough one to find in high grade?

This book arrived today....

So how did you stumble on that one? Is that the best copy in the CGC census?

???

Certainly looks like an interesting story too!

:)

Edited by Hepcat

This thread needs a :bump:

This book arrived today...

33aap01.jpg

That's a good one - and the highest issue number on my want list.

What kind of grade are you looking for?

This is a tough one to find in high grade?

I usually shoot for VG, will sometimes go as low as Good, if it is the right kind of Good.

I seldom buy anything over Fine, so I wouldn't know whether it is hard to find in high grade. Nice book, though, congrats.

This book arrived today....

So how did you stumble on that one? Is that the best copy in the CGC census?

???

Certainly looks like an interesting story too!

:)

Hepcat,

Forgive me for not getting back to your questions earlier.

Your first question is easy, a dealer (who I have bought more than I can remember from) emailed me when he got this book in, knowing I would be interested.

Your second question is a little more difficult to answer. Yes, this is "sort of" the highest CGC graded copy. The problem is it is restored. Although, I don't typically buy restored books, I made an exception in this case (as the restoration is a minor amount of color touch and I really liked the book).

With that being said, I feel it is only fair to show you the highest CGC universal, blue label, 9.0. I wanted to wait until I had a chance to pull this and photograph it, before answering your questions.

Here is the highest universal (please forgive my poor photography skills)

261m3qq.jpg

Thanks guys, yeh it's a peach. Everything about it works for me - meaning the lack of perfect proportions and perspective fit in perfectly with an impressionistic cityscape and the orange fade with lime green (!) elements.

:luhv: