• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Hobby.....say a 5 year timeline.

104 posts in this topic

Comic books may someday become a thing of the past. But not for the forseeable future. Certainly not in the next forty years.

You think paper funny books are going to last another 40 years... at least?

Sorry, but that is just crazy.

Well, I guess I conceed to you then. Because we all know that you are never wrong.

I don't think even the most naive Pollyanna on here would side with your "paper comic will be alive and vibrant in 40+ years" stand. It's just demographic and societal reality.

Well, Scrooge already did. If you take out the words you added to my statement, such as "vibrant".

Oh, so you're going with the "near dead, but still a few copies floating around" vinyl record model, huh? lol

30cvlau.jpg

I had no idea how they sell over all, I just know that here in town we have several vinyl record stores that do reasonably well and we are just a small town.

I do see a slight surge from 2005 onwards. :baiting:

They do well as collectibles, not mass market. I think the same will be true of comics in the future. Big fancy hardcover printed editions will always be popular. Floppies? Only the old ones, or the really rare ones.

They do well as collectibles, not mass market. I think the same will be true of comics in the future. Big fancy hardcover printed editions will always be popular. Floppies? Only the old ones, or the really rare ones.

Exactly, no one said we were going to hold mass burnings and cleanse funny books from the face of the Earth. doh!

But at a certain point, publishers will simply not be able to keep increasing cover prices, and even hardcore nerds will rebel. Once that happens, The LCS will cease to exist and there will not even be a niche market for Marvel/DC to sell their $10 pamphlets.

And sure, some indies may still pump out 5K print runs of some book they sell in tattoo shops, but that's not really what we're talking about.

Comic books may someday become a thing of the past. But not for the forseeable future. Certainly not in the next forty years.

Well, I guess I conceed to you then. Because we all know that you are never wrong.

I don't think even the most naive Pollyanna on here would side with your "paper comic will be alive and vibrant in 40+ years" stand. It's just demographic and societal reality.

Well, Scrooge already did. If you take out the words you added to my statement, such as "vibrant".

Oh, so you're going with the "near dead, but still a few copies floating around" vinyl record model, huh? lol

30cvlau.jpg

I see the problem. The graph doesn't show where the sales skyrocketed in 2009

This runs counter to the arguments I've been making, but comics have the enormous advantage over vinyl in that vinyl requires equipment that was once ubiquitous but is now fairly uncommon, while comics require only eyes and hands.

(I'm making a big assumption here but I'd say fewer than 10% of the people I know still have turntables)

30cvlau.jpg

Actually this is true. :gossip:

http://technology.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978549345

While CD sales are dropping, vinyl is steadily growing. :cloud9:

I'm making a big assumption here but I'd say fewer than 10% of the people I know still have turntables

I can only think of 1 person I know of who does. I can't even remember the last time I saw someone playing a CD.

I go to music stores a lot and there are still lots of new turntables for sale. Somebody is buying them as they are making them.

30cvlau.jpg

Actually this is true. :gossip:

http://technology.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978549345

While CD sales are dropping, vinyl is steadily growing. :cloud9:

I didn't say anything because I didn't have anything conclusive to post but I'm sure I read somewhere about a recent significant upward trend.

(thumbs u

I'm making a big assumption here but I'd say fewer than 10% of the people I know still have turntables

I can only think of 1 person I know of who does. I can't even remember the last time I saw someone playing a CD.

:whistle:

I didn't say anything because I didn't have anything conclusive to post but I'm sure I read somewhere about a recent significant upward trend.

Yeah, it went from something like 1.2 million to 1.8 million, while CDs dropped from 150 million to 134 million.

It is Voodoo Math at its best - like comparing my firend's catering business revenues (up 200%!) against McDonalds.

hm So, you keep your comics in Polly bags instead of mylar??? :baiting:

Yeah, it went from something like 1.2 million to 1.8 million, while CDs dropped from 150 million to 134 million.

It is Voodoo Math at its best - like comparing my firend's catering business revenues (up 200%!) against McDonalds.

I am calling a bunch of bs on that one.

There is not a snowball's chance you have a friend.

:baiting:

Up to 2.8 Million. :gossip:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/vinyl-sales-increase-despite-industry-slump-20110106

Up to 2.8 Million. :gossip:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/vinyl-sales-increase-despite-industry-slump-20110106

I think it depends on what numbers you are using, but even so, this quote is telling:

"... sales of vinyl increased by 14 percent over the previous year, with around 2.8 million units sold."

14 percent? doh!