• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official "Hey, these scores need fixing" thread (Revised)

593 posts in this topic

General question for anyone who has an opinion:

In regards to scoring for SS books, should consideration be given to who/how many people signed a particular book?

This may be wishful thinking, as I'm not sure if there would be a way for the system to accurately score this, but here are my thoughts:

Let's say you have a CGC SS copy of Amazing Spider-man #1. And let's say it was signed by Stan Lee. Shouldn't that signature be worth more than, say, a signature by the colorist? If you have 2 signatures on a book shouldn't that be worth more points than 1 signature?

Thoughts?

• Administrator

I want to mention for this and the suggestions of pedigree "bumps" that unfortunately the system is not set up to recognize the difference....It can only see if the book is or isn't signature series (or pedigreed) but not by whom (or which pedigree). This is why the scoring can't really be adjusted for these factors.

This is also true when we don't label books as variants, but note X# of covers exist...unfortunately the system can't see those books as separate, so I can never make different slots for them (that would work properly, anyway).

Please feel free to discuss the idea, but unfortunately it can't be implimented....:sorry:

Hi Gemma,

Could you take a look at adjusting the Invincible #1('s) scores? Currently the Limited Edition (also called Convention Edition I believe) scores higher than the regular edition. I think if we just swapped the two it would be a little more appropriate. Someone else who knows scoring better could probably fine tune it better than I can.

For this particular series, the regular #1 sells for a premium over the limited edition. The regular #1 was a (mostly unheralded) sleeper, and the LE, although having a smaller print run, had a thicker cover that was available in blocks of 10 from Larry's World of Comics (forgive me if I have the con/promoter wrong). In my experience, raw's average $80-100 for reg to $15-25 for the LE. Slabbed are a bit closer, but the reg still rules the roost.

Currently it looks like this:

Invincible 1 Invincible 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 3 4 7 10 15 30 50 80 100 150

See All Scores for This Slot (including Restored)

Invincible 1 Limited Edition Invincible Limited Edition 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 3 4 6 10 15 23 45 75 120 150 225

Thanks,

Steven

• Administrator

Working on it now....please let me know if any others are "funny" as the programmers uploaded the larger score changes for me today and I haven't checked them all yet... :foryou:

Apparently X-men just got a HUGE boost!

I jumped about 15,000 points today. My 8.5 X-men 1 went from i think 8700 to 17420! :ohnoez:

Now if we could just get that kinda bump for AF15 :wishluck:

Hi Gemma.

Starslayer 3 CGC 9.8 comes up as 0 points in the Starslayer registry set, but then comes up correctly as 64 points under the Rocketeer set. If this can please be fixed, it is greatly appreciated.

• Administrator
I was looking at some of the Batman titles and I think they are quite under-scored at times.

While all of the Neal Adams covers are impressive there are several that merit special attention as they are first appearances or the first appearance of a character on the cover etc, these are major characters that continue in comics, tv and movies.

in particular issues

210 - first catwoman cover

227 - tech cover swipe

232 - first appearance Ra's al-Ghul

234 - first two face

244 - Ra's al-Ghul appearance

251 - joker cover, re-established the joker as a serious character

current scores in 9.8:

issue score

210 440 (same as comics above and below it) - current price for 9.8 5000$ (!) census = 1

227 2600 (increased from surrounding comics) , current price $13,000 census 1

232 1300 (increased from surrounding comics), current price range $1700-3000 census 15

234 1600 (increased from surrounding comics) , current price $5000+, census 4

244 520 (same as others around it) current price 1000-$1500, census 4

251 760 (increased from surrounding comics), price $3000-4000 census 8

these are insanely low census numbers for classic covers and highly sought after books, some are easier to come by than others clearly, but given how desirable they are I am amazed at how low the numbers are in high grade.

In Summary

I think 210 should be dramatically increased in value to 2000 +

I think 227 could go up to even 4000

I think 232 is close but could go up even by 1000

I think 234 should go up a lot more 3000 range

I think 244 should go up 3X

I think 251 should go up 3X

Thanks so much for your consideration of this,

I also think the Neal adams covers in general should have a slight bump over the other covers from the time, but the ones above are the 'special ones' that really are key

Neal Adams Batman covers: numbers:

203, 210, 217, 219, 220, 221, 222, 224, 225, 226, 227, 229, 230,231, 232, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 243, 244, 245, 246, 251, 255

I appreciate your responsiveness to collectors concerns

thanks

Joe

The Batman set was finally updated, so I went in and adjusted the issues you requested. Not all of them were bumped exactly to the number you requested, but they are all higher than before. Please let me know if any of the issues still need adjusting at this point.

I think that the scores for Archie Meets the Punisher and Punisher Meets Archie #1 should be revised. A 9.8 receives the score of 40 points, which seems to be the average for books that sell for around 30 dollars in a 9.8. Both these books are very hard to find in 9.8, and sell for around $50 when slabbed at that grade. I recommend these both receive 50 points for a Universal 9.8, and slightly more for SS.

Guest Grails

Gemma, can you please reevaluate the scoring for the black ashcans in The Maxx set? They all carry a Qualified grade due to the fact that they were signed and numbered with 50 produced before CGC opened its doors. I believe the other resident Maxx collectors such as RMA and Lebowski can attest that the black ashcans are the grail books in this set. The points seem off balance to me. I believe the blacks are currently worth 3 or 4 points. I don't have a figure in mind, but they should be carrying the highest value in the set.

Gemma, can you please reevaluate the scoring for the black ashcans in The Maxx set? They all carry a Qualified grade due to the fact that they were signed and numbered with 50 produced before CGC opened its doors. I believe the other resident Maxx collectors such as RMA and Lebowski can attest that the black ashcans are the grail books in this set. The points seem off balance to me. I believe the blacks are currently worth 3 or 4 points. I don't have a figure in mind, but they should be carrying the highest value in the set.

Seconded. Those books are almost impossible to find and command huge price tags when they do surface.

:o

Charlie, you're right! 8.0's and 8.5's in TJ's registry set are coming up as 2 and 3 points.

doh!

:whistle:

Hi Gemma.

Starslayer 3 CGC 9.8 comes up as 0 points in the Starslayer registry set, but then comes up correctly as 64 points under the Rocketeer set. If this can please be fixed, it is greatly appreciated.

Hi Gemma. Could you look at Avengers 384 in the Avengers 1-503 set? It does not allow me to place a cover scan and it does not link to the census like all the other issues.

Please establish scores for Yellowjacket Comics set, numbers 4 and 10. I would like to enter an issue #4 currently and will be submitting #10 shortly. The system would not let me enter #4 (due to no scoring???).

I would also like to request you considering raising scores for this title overall.

The scores seem pretty low considering the rarity of these books and importance of the series (important in my opinion for the first horror series contained in a title). The books are undervalued in mid to high grades in my opinion.

Thanks for the consideration and hope to see points established soon.