• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where do you buy most of your comics?

Where do you buy most of your comics  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you buy most of your comics

48 posts in this topic

You forgot conventions.

I buy the vast majority of my books at cons.

conventions are an easy place to loose one's mind and the limit is pretty high --- you can lug around maybe 3 short boxes of stuff

i still figure i buy more at shops because it just tends to add up and I only go to shows 1-3 times ayear.

After reading the recent threads about eBay scammers, it got me thinking that I almost never buy anything through eBay anymore. In fact, I only bought 7 books on eBay during 2010, and 6 of those were from people I'd dealt with multiple times over the years. The 7th item I ended up returning as "not as described". That's way down from the amount of business I used to do on eBay.

So, with that in mind I ask: "Where do you buy most of your comics?"

I'm an LCS guy. I've filled in most of the runs I want, and only occasionally upgrade.

As an aside, to address your comment about buying through eBay, I find buying to be safer than ever. It's the sellers that have been hung out to dry.

Buying slabs on eBay is certainly safe. Buying raw can still be risky - there's plenty of threads about PLODs returning as high grade raw books.

But you are correct about sellers. They have definitely gotten the shaft on eBay, to the point where I've seen a lot of sellers give up on eBay in the past few years. To be honest, I have to wonder if my drop in buying has been related to sellers moving on to other venues. I still search eBay every day, but I hardly ever spend any money there...

Oops... you are absolutely right! I'm pretty much a slab buyer only, as the books I need I would never buy raw, because of... you guessed it... the risk. :grin:

You forgot conventions.

I buy the vast majority of my books at cons.

conventions are an easy place to loose one's mind and the limit is pretty high --- you can lug around maybe 3 short boxes of stuff

i still figure i buy more at shops because it just tends to add up and I only go to shows 1-3 times ayear.

If you're lugging around three short boxes, you'll be lucky not to 'loose' your bowels. :grin:

ebay takes too much time. You can however make out best on ebay if you know how to judge the risk.

Overwhelmingly, the security associated with these boards causes me to make 90% of my purchases here. I only buy 0.1% of what I look into here, but am almost always happy with these buys.

BTW, you also need your filters for board buys. #1: Do not like the large number of low post forumites whose only posts are selling; most of these folks don't last, and for a reason.

Quantity? Definitely the LCS. I like the owners so I try to support them as much as I can. (thumbs u

If they don't have the books I'm looking for:

eBay: If I'm looking for a particular book. Can't beat the selection, you just have to be careful. Do your research on dealers, or treat the $ as gambling $.

mycomicshop: If I'm looking for a set of cheap reader books. My orders through them are always for less than cover price.

CGC Forums: If I'm looking for a particular book that's hard to find or expensive. I'm always browsing the marketplace for deals too. I've used the VCC, WTB thread as well as the marketplace.