• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

Don’t have too much chance to read with a toddler and a 101 things to do around the house but I have gotten through a couple of books recently.

Completed

Vanilla Ride – Joe R Lansdale

Pretty standard for a Hap Collins & Leonard Pine crime mystery but it’s always good to have Hap & Leonard around, so for me even an average instalment is better than 99.9% of the stuff out there.

The Strain – Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan

An interesting vampire novel by cult director and Hellboy boy Guillermo del Toro ably assisted by Chuck Hogan. This novel isn’t anything special and is derivative of several others including Stoker’s Dracula but the story is fast paced with interesting characters so that makes for an entertaining read.

In Progress

Killing The Shadows – Val McDermid

About 150 pages in and thoroughly enjoying this “serial-killer with a twist” thriller.

Cheers

PCC

Willie Mays. The Life, The Legend.

I'm a softy for baseball history to begin with, and along comes the definitive, authorized biography of the greatest player of my lifetime, and arguably the most complete player in the game's history. His story is amazing - graduated high school in Alabama and, one year later, was playing for the NY Giants in the middle of one of the most famous pennant races of all time (won in a playoff by "the shot heard 'round the world"). He was rookie of the year as a 20 year old.

I also enjoy nonfiction about the Fifties, and the stories of the integration of baseball and of society at large and the rise of televised sports are major topics of the first half of the book. Great stuff.

I'm a softy for baseball history to begin with, and along comes the definitive, authorized biography of the greatest player of my lifetime, and arguably the most complete player in the game's history. His story is amazing - graduated high school in Alabama and, one year later, was playing for the NY Giants in the middle of one of the most famous pennant races of all time (won in a playoff by "the shot heard 'round the world"). He was rookie of the year as a 20 year old.

I also enjoy nonfiction about the Fifties, and the stories of the integration of baseball and of society at large and the popularization of television are major topics of the first half of the book. Great stuff.

I love baseball stuff as well. This has been an awesome read to listen to!

ted_williams_cover.gif

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Just bought a bunch of older sci-fi paperbacks from my LCS. She has quite a few books from the 50's, 60's & early 70's.

The one I'm reading right now is called Night Slaves by Jerry Sohl. He is probably better known for his scriptwriting on t.v. shows like Star Trek (The Carbomite Maneuver).

I also picked up Logan's Run which I have never read (although it's one of my favorite movies) and The Day of the Triffids. In addition, I bought a book by Gardner Fox called Beyond The Black Enigma (written under the pseudonym, Bart Somers), plus a bunch more.

Just finished for about the 10th round thru, the David and Leigh Eddings

10 book Belgariad / Mallorean series. Three more add on novels to follow

by the same husand and wife team. David passed away earlier this year.

I was not aware that David Eddings passed away! What a wonderful storyteller he was and what a loss at his passing. I've read the Belgriad/Mallorean series so many times that Belgarath & Polgara seem like old friends. Just a fantastic series of books.

That's exactly what it's like. It's like seeing old friends again. I'm re-reading my way through both series right now. I'm on Sorceress of Darshiva now. Once I finish, it's on to the Belgarath and Polgara books.

I had no idea Eddings passed away. :( Might have to revisit my old friends also.

Started Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss yesterday

Re-reading Conan, also a biography about Richard Feynman titled "Genius" (totally AWESOME), and a very, very cool book called "The Science Behind UFO's". GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Currently reading both

Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army by Jeremy Scahill

and

Tinkers by Paul Harding (Pulitzer prize winner)

Unfortunately, Scahills book is filled with inaccuracies and in some cases, downright lies. If you want an unbiased report, I would recommend this.

115097.jpg.e4f7c5c20fb6635c998298db0cb0bc22.jpg

The Infection.... guess the best way i saw this descibed... is if Stephen King had written The Mist from outside of the grocery store~
Thank you for recommending The Infection. (thumbs u I'm right at the center point, mid-book. If the 1st half was strange and stressful, the author just cranked it up about 10 more notches. Sweet. :popcorn:

The last book I finished was The Anubis Gates (maybe recommended for this thread).

While I really enjoyed it, I think it's almost beyond description. Kind of a time travel, steam punk, body swapping, sorcery wielding, monster mash-up. With historical poets. Sort of.

Best thread on the board! :applause: Thanks again for all the recommendations.

142296.jpg

I also enjoy nonfiction about the Fifties, and the stories of the integration of baseball and of society at large and the rise of televised sports are major topics of the first half of the book. Great stuff.

Go Giants!