• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

Just read Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry.

If you like The Walking Dead comic it's for you. The book was awesome! :headbang:

http://www.amazon.com/Rot-Ruin-Jonathan-Maberry/dp/1442402326

Looking forward to the sequel in August: Dust and Decay.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Dust-Decay-Jonathan-Maberry/9781442402355-item.html?ikwid=jonathan+maberry&ikwsec=Books

Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan. Now that someone has come along to finish the series I figured I would start from the beginning again.

I'm upto book 8, its an awesome journey and if you have not read it before I envy you for being at the start of it, knowing what's to come.

I read it before but there were only 8 books published at the time. That was about 10 years ago or so. Now that the series is coming to a conclusion I decided to start over and finish it.

(thumbs u

Recently:

"Beautiful Children" Charles Bock - Runaways in Las Vegas circa early 2000's

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/magazine/27Bock-t.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1311978405-CMGft4o45TTd77g9ZbqQxA

http://www.beautifulchildren.net/site/

"Killing Time" Caleb Carr - Speculative fiction regarding the near-future

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_Time_(Caleb_Carr_novel)

Killing Time is a dystopian novel by Caleb Carr set in the Mid-21st Century. It was initially serialized in TIME and later published in 2000 by Random House. It includes criticisms of the information age (see quotes below). The book was a departure for Carr, whose previous two novels (and his subsequent one) were crime thrillers set in the Victorian era.

"Mundus vult decipi" is a Latin phrase meaning "The world wants to be deceived"

"It is the greatest truth of our age: Information is not knowledge."

"A Man in Full" Thomas Wolfe - Atlanta at the millenium

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Man_in_Full

http://puffin.creighton.edu/PHIL/Stephens/Stoicism/Real_Men_Are_Stoics.htm

Currently: "Eat The Rich" P. J. O'Rourke

Next up: "To Protect and To Serve: The LAPD's Century of War in the City of Dreams" Joe Domanick

Current readings for me are:

"The Wrecker" - Clive Cussler

"Undaunted Courage" - Stephen Ambrose (story of Lewis and Clark from the journals of Lewis. This should be required reading for every high school student. It's a tad dry at times, but if anyone thinks life is tuff now, they should have been on that excursion!)

"1776" - David McCullough (currently, my favorite history writer)

Previous readings of interrest:

"Murder in Dealey Plaza" - James Fetzer (This is THE book for conspiracists, which isn't me, but I do like to read what the other side has to say)

"Live from Cape Canaveral" - Jay Barbree (Fun read of the space program)

"Flight: My life in Mission Control" - Chris Kraft (required reading for any NASA buff)

The Infection.... guess the best way i saw this descibed... is if Stephen King had written The Mist from outside of the grocery store~

Thanks for pointing this book out, it sounds right up my alley and I just ordered it from Amazon.

I just finished up the latest George R.R. Martin book from the Game of Thrones series, Dance With Dragons. I know many have disparaged the book, but I loved it and just hope that I don't have to wait another 5 years for the next.

The Infection.... guess the best way i saw this descibed... is if Stephen King had written The Mist from outside of the grocery store~

Thanks for pointing this book out, it sounds right up my alley and I just ordered it from Amazon.

I just finished up the latest George R.R. Martin book from the Game of Thrones series, Dance With Dragons. I know many have disparaged the book, but I loved it and just hope that I don't have to wait another 5 years for the next.

Question about that series...I've watched the HBO show, but never read the books. Since I;ve seen the show, is it still worth the read? I'm going to the beach in a few weeks and am going to need something to read.

Question about that series...I've watched the HBO show, but never read the books. Since I;ve seen the show, is it still worth the read? I'm going to the beach in a few weeks and am going to need something to read.

Most certainly. The series is very faithful to the books, but Martin gets you inside of the character's head, something you just cannot do on television. Go into the book series thinking of the show as a companion to the books and I think you'll be very satisfied. Martin's books are not exactly easy reading, but in the end you are very satisfied. Think of the books as a thick, juicy steak and the HBO series as the double-chocolate lava cake for dessert! Let me know how you like it when you are done.

Just finished for about the 10th round thru, the David and Leigh Eddings

10 book Belgariad / Mallorean series. Three more add on novels to follow

by the same husand and wife team. David passed away earlier this year.

Had the pleasure of gushing all over him 10 or so years ago at a signing.

I will certainly miss his wit and character development.

Waiting on the nightstand are a fresh copy of "Indianola, Queen City of the

West" and "Issac's Storm".

Just finished for about the 10th round thru, the David and Leigh Eddings

10 book Belgariad / Mallorean series. Three more add on novels to follow

by the same husand and wife team. David passed away earlier this year.

I was not aware that David Eddings passed away! What a wonderful storyteller he was and what a loss at his passing. I've read the Belgriad/Mallorean series so many times that Belgarath & Polgara seem like old friends. Just a fantastic series of books.

You were very lucky to meet the man before his passing!

All I can say is A Song of Ice and Fire series kicks ! :headbang:

Big Ups to George R R Martin.

I am halfway done with A Storm of Swords and have recently finished A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings

I am getting ready to start reading two nonfiction books which I am really looking forward to.

The Singularity is Near by Ray Kurzweil

and

The Psychopath Test: A Journey through the Madness Industry by Jon Ronson (author of The Men Who Stare at Goats)

The Singularity is Near by Ray Kurzweil

That looks fun.

Also, all this Martin talk. I suppose I'll try him next year.

This is what I'm reading at present:

Against Nature: A Rebours

Kurzweil was recently on Bill Maher's show and his demeanor and intelligence blew me away. After I was introduced to him on Real Time, I watched his Documentary Transcendent Man, which is streaming on Netflix now, and really enjoyed that too. Not only is he a futurist thinker, he also is an inventor and holds many patents (including the "Kurzweil" synthesizer and also a cell phone sized device that scans a book and reads it in that computer voice for the blind) Really looking forward to reading that book.