• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

Was Roger Moore's bio interesting?

It raised an eyebrow.

:yeahok:

It was not a great read. He said at the outset that he wasn't going to name names or tell any really juicy stories. Instead, it focuses on him trying to make it in show business before Bond, cruises through the Bond years and then talks a lot about his work with UNICEF. I'd say it's for die-hard Moore fans only.

Anyone know of good "between worlds" type novels, where a character from the real world goes into a fantasy world?

I'd like to read some world-exploring fiction, but most seem juvenile or old. Oz, Alice, Narnia or Thomas Covenant's coma, just not much appeal. :(

Can anyone recommend something modern, fresh and adult? :wishluck:

Thanks. John Carter goes on the list for a re-visit. :)

Thinking about past books I've enjoyed, portal-worlds is a theme that repeats. Good ones are just scarce, surprisingly.

One that came to mind was Lumley's Necroscope trilogy. The third volume had some portal to a vampire realm that was interesting and weird enough it has stayed with me.

I guess the portal doesn't matter, star-gate, magic mirror, deep coma, elven sinkhole, whatever. It's the alien world-exploring I seem to enjoy. :cloud9:

Recently read:

China Underground - Zachary Mexico (a 2009 book by an American who lived in China during the 2000s and dishes the dirt on sex, drugs, rock 'n roll, political dissent, etc. in China - good read)

Jackie Stewart: Winning Is Not Enough - Jackie Stewart (3-time Formula 1 champion's autobiography, which details his struggles with dyslexia and his extensive post-F1 business career as much as it covers his racing career - an engaging page-turner)

Currently reading:

Around the World on $80 - Robert Christopher (a book from the '50s written by an American who traveled around the world post-WWII on the cheap - so far, it's very interesting, though I think the book is long out of print)

Anyone know of good "between worlds" type novels, where a character from the real world goes into a fantasy world?

I settled on The Magicians and The Magician King. These get tagged as Harry Potter for adults, but that really doesn't do them justice.

Incredibly weird and satisfying.

The+Magicians.jpgthemagicianking1.jpeg

I'm reading this now

the-fifth-sorceress-the-chronicles-of-blood-a.jpg

You've been warned

It's not bad. It's holding my attention and keeping me guessing but I'm not a huge fan of the style of writing the author is using. Characterization is a bit weak and it's blatnantly graphic in both violence and sexual situations. Not really me cup of tea when it comes to fantasy books.

Anyone have any recommendations on good non fiction novels related to collecting? I have read, and enjoyed these, so looking for something similar from any hobby:

Mint Condition by Jamieson

The Card by O'keeffe

Used and Rare by Goldstone

A Gentle Madness by Basbanes

The Error World by Garfield

The Billionaire's Vinegar by Wallace

etc, etc, etc

I am currently reading the Sacketts series by Louis L'amour.

I was in Florida on vacation and the condo where I was staying had some books, and one of them was the Searchers. Well, I liked the movie so I gave the book a go, and it was great. My dad had read all the L'amour westerns and told me how good they were, but I had never read one. Following a theme, I read Hondo first (another John Wayne movie) and the style was elegant and very fast moving, and I liked it alot.

So I decided to give the Sackett series a try, not really knowing what to expect, except it was a western. Much to my surprise, the first story was one about how the Sacketts came to America and was set in the late 1500s/early 1600s. Lots of high seas adventure and an outstanding read. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Actually the first 2 books of the series would make a fantastic series of graphic novels.

Anyone have any recommendations on good non fiction novels related to collecting?

The Inverted Jenny: Money, Mystery, Mania - George Amick

Old Masters, New World: America's Raid on Europe's Great Pictures - Cynthia Saltzman

Anyone have any recommendations on good non fiction novels related to collecting?

The Inverted Jenny: Money, Mystery, Mania - George Amick

Old Masters, New World: America's Raid on Europe's Great Pictures - Cynthia Saltzman

Awesome. Thanks.

Just finished 2 books. Both books are zombie books.

The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor (I got an advanced copy at SDCC) This was ok. I wanted it to be better.

Dust & Decay (This is brand new. It's the sequel to Rot & Ruin.)

Both Rot & Ruin and Dust & Decay I highly recommend to people who like Zombie stories. (thumbs u