• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

I'm about halfway through all of these currently. If I'm not reading something that's just so good I can't put it down (like Krakauer's Into Thin Air as someone mentioned a few pages back) I find myself slogging through multiple books simultaneously to avoid getting bored with any particular book.

250px-They_Marched_into_Sunlight.jpg

Ludlum_-_The_Chancellor_Manuscript_Coverart.png

monte_cristo.gif

I'm reading Star Trek: The Captain's Table

The Captain's Table is a mysterious bar, run by a being known only as "Cap". Only captains (or people who were at a time acting captains) are entitled to enter the establishment. The bar appears to exist in another dimension because its door can appear anywhere around the galaxy, and it is visible only to captains.

monte_cristo.gif

:cloud9: Quite possibly my favorite book. Definitely on my "top ten desert island" list, along with Ivanhoe and Titus Groan / Gormenghast.

I'm currently reading "Spud - The Madness Continues" by John van de Ruit. It's the second volume in the (fictional) diaries of a student at a South African boarding school during the early 90s. It's absolutely hilarious reading! I picked up the first volume in this series at the Cape Town airport a few years back and devoured it in one sitting during my flight to London. I understand the first book was also made into a movie with John Cleese, but I haven't been able to find a copy in Canada anywhere...

The Captain's Table is a mysterious bar, run by a being known only as "Cap". Only captains (or people who were at a time acting captains) are entitled to enter the establishment. The bar appears to exist in another dimension because its door can appear anywhere around the galaxy, and it is visible only to captains.

sounds like a good read.

sounds like a good read.

Its not bad.. Its more like a series of novels where the bar is the main staging area for the stories.

Each Captain tells a tale of their career to other Captain there.

It's not just star-fleet Captain but any captain the existed be it name or Roman Legionnaire.

I'm 2/3rds of the way through with former Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash's autobiography ("Slash" - Slash with Anthony Bozza). It's packed with lots of good stories/anecdotes; as a huge GN'R fan, I'm enjoying it a lot. My only gripe is that the book is riddled with glaring chronological inconsistencies. Still, it's a good read if you're a fan of the band or the '80s and early '90s rock/metal scene. :headbang:

The $12 Million Stuffed Shark: The Curious Economics of Contemporary Art

I'm 700 pages into A Game Of Thrones.

So you're almost done with the first book?

Some big surprises, no? (unless you'd already seen the series).

About 100 pages left.

There is some differences from the TV series, nothing two big.

It does fill in a lot of the spaces between scenes in the show and fleshes out the the people and places of Westeros and Essos.

I will hopefully be starting the second book by Sunday.

I'm 700 pages into A Game Of Thrones.

So you're almost done with the first book?

Some big surprises, no? (unless you'd already seen the series).

About 100 pages left.

There is some differences from the TV series, nothing two big.

It does fill in a lot of the spaces between scenes in the show and fleshes out the the people and places of Westeros and Essos.

I will hopefully be starting the second book by Sunday.

Yeah, there was only one big change that I saw from the book to the series. And, it seemed to me, it was made just to speed some things along.

The second book is even better.

Just finished reading Replay by Ken Grimwood

http://www.amazon.com/Replay-Ken-Grimwood/dp/068816112X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327081874&sr=8-1

Super book if you are into time travel. What exactly would you do differently if you had the opportunity to live your life over from 18 years old-43 years old multiple times and what would the consequences be if you changed up certain things. Great stuff.

The $12 Million Stuffed Shark: The Curious Economics of Contemporary Art

+1 A great book! :cloud9:

I just finished it and, while it's a bit dry at times, (the author is a economics professor) it's chock-a-block full of stories, incidents and quirks of all aspects of modern art, collectors, dealers, auctions etc. I could hardly put it down and would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys collecting, regardless of their interest in modern art.

http://www.amazon.com/Million-Stuffed-Shark-Economics-Contemporary/dp/0230620590/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327108582&sr=1-1