• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

Just read Kings 11/22/63. Was ok. Not huge fan of King, but did like the Dark Tower series and The Talisman.

Huge fan of Time Travel stories and am always on the hunt for them. Have most of the common / best known and some of the obscure ones. Don't want to hi-jack this thread, but anyone have any suggestions for obscure Time Travel books / stories?

Reading a book called Backbite by Adrienne Jones.

Great, hilarious writer I discovered last year. Her first book The Hoax is one of the best things I have ever read. Brine is also very good. Very weird and wonderful stuff.

Finished David Copperfield last year, now reading Oliver Twist. Wanted to get into the classics.

I've read neither. I've been a poor Dickens reader. I've been thinking about him forever. Recently something John Ruskin wrote got me thinking about Hard Times. I'm envious of your book choice. I say read all of his books in chronological order by publication date. I doubt you'll regret a page of it & your bookshelf will thank you for it the rest of your days.

Finished David Copperfield last year, now reading Oliver Twist. Wanted to get into the classics.

I've read neither. I've been a poor Dickens reader. I've been thinking about him forever. Recently something John Ruskin wrote got me thinking about Hard Times. I'm envious of your book choice. I say read all of his books in chronological order by publication date. I doubt you'll regret a page of it & your bookshelf will thank you for it the rest of your days.

I'm a huge Dickens fan and heartily recommend Great Expectations, probably my all time favourite book.

Currently reading The Brothers K by David James Duncan...freaking high-larious! If you like baseball...and a cruise back through the 60s and 70s and family dynamics check it out...

Recently read ALL of Ron Rash...highly recommended!

( :gossip: I highly recommend everything I read... :insane: )

And recently as well...

The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman...brilliantly written!

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell...XLNT!

The Human Factor by Graham Greene ( a re-read...I've read just about all Graham Greene)

Seven Plays by Sam Shephard

White Jazz by James Ellroy

I just finished up "A Time to Hunt," by Stephen Hunter (love his writing) and reread for the umpteenth time Pete Capstick's classic "Death in the Long Grass." (upon visiting my side of the family for Christmas, I found my Father's signed 1st ed. and couldn't resist.

Im now submerged into one of Louis Lamour's (nonwestern) best survival stories, "The Last of the Breed."

Just read Kings 11/22/63. Was ok. Not huge fan of King, but did like the Dark Tower series and The Talisman.

Huge fan of Time Travel stories and am always on the hunt for them. Have most of the common / best known and some of the obscure ones. Don't want to hi-jack this thread, but anyone have any suggestions for obscure Time Travel books / stories?

Check out S.M. Stirling's trilogy Island in the Sea of Time, Against the Tide of Years and On the Oceans of Eternity. Great stuff!

Also if you haven't seen the movie Primer, get it now. One of the best time travels movies ever made.

Check out S.M. Stirling's trilogy Island in the Sea of Time, Against the Tide of Years and On the Oceans of Eternity. Great stuff!

Also if you haven't seen the movie Primer, get it now. One of the best time travels movies ever made.

Will check these out. Thanks!

+1 I have a degree in English Lit and have never read a Dickens book cover to cover. It's sad and dumb on my part. I just can't get off George R.R. Martin right now. Some classics maybe in a couple of months. :wishluck: