• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

173633-L.jpg

If you like history this whole series by Bedford publishing has many outstanding titles. I'm reading "July 1914 Soldiers, Statesmen, and the Coming of the Great War". The books in this series on Pearl Harbour, FDR and the New Deal, and LBJ are also great, the book on LBJ in particular by Schulman is one of the finest short histories of his Admin I've ever read.

Just finished Richard Rhodes "Dark Sun the making of the H Bomb" (Simon and Schuster?), and that was amazing!

What are you guys and gals reading right now, besides comic books? I know comics helped instill a love for reading in me and it's still a major focus in my life today. For me.... "Jack the Ripper, Case Closed" by Patricia Cornwell, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, Collected Short Stories by H.P. Lovecraft, "Souls on Fire" by Elie Weisel, "The Nature of Space and Time" by Hawkins and Penrose, and two biographies about AC / DC and Led Zeppelin. They're all great. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I just started reading again for the first time since who knows when. Probably have not read a book since college actually, until about 2 years ago. My wife has always enjoyed reading and for whatever reason, I just decided I would give it a try.

I recently started the Jack the Ripper books by Cornwell, but quite honestly, I have better stuff to do than read it. Boring. I will probably try to finish it, but Cornwell has slipped way down my list.

Tried to start reading the Harry Potter series, but didn't make it through the first book.

Currently reading the Hunt for Red October, and probably going to follow with some more Clancy stuff. Pretty good so far, but kind of a tough read.

Just finished reading all the Alex Cross books in order by Patterson, and I would highly recommend them to anyone who like Crime noir stuff from any genre. Easy read, fast moving and highly entertaining.

I also have been reading alot of Grisham lately. Have read the Firm (movie was better), Pelican Brief (pretty good), Runaway Jury (very good), and a Time to Kill (best Grisham of the 4 I have read so far). Grisham tends to bog down in details sometimes, but not so much you want to quit reading, just have to fight the urge to skim sometimes.

Nothing I have read so far compares in the slightest to Patterson though.

If you like Clancy at all try a Clive Cussler book. If you like Grisham at all try a Michael Connely book. I think both are more engaging. Last I would recommend reading the Tourist. The movie was a total adaptation of the book and did not even follow it. It is a great Spy novel. If you like crime, read the Stieg Larson and Jo Nesbo books. Those are really good.

What are you guys and gals reading right now, besides comic books? I know comics helped instill a love for reading in me and it's still a major focus in my life today. For me.... "Jack the Ripper, Case Closed" by Patricia Cornwell, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, Collected Short Stories by H.P. Lovecraft, "Souls on Fire" by Elie Weisel, "The Nature of Space and Time" by Hawkins and Penrose, and two biographies about AC / DC and Led Zeppelin. They're all great. GOD BLESS...

I just started reading again for the first time since who knows when. Probably have not read a book since college actually, until about 2 years ago. My wife has always enjoyed reading and for whatever reason, I just decided I would give it a try.

I recently started the Jack the Ripper books by Cornwell, but quite honestly, I have better stuff to do than read it. Boring. I will probably try to finish it, but Cornwell has slipped way down my list.

Tried to start reading the Harry Potter series, but didn't make it through the first book.

Currently reading the Hunt for Red October, and probably going to follow with some more Clancy stuff. Pretty good so far, but kind of a tough read.

Just finished reading all the Alex Cross books in order by Patterson, and I would highly recommend them to anyone who like Crime noir stuff from any genre. Easy read, fast moving and highly entertaining.

I also have been reading alot of Grisham lately. Have read the Firm (movie was better), Pelican Brief (pretty good), Runaway Jury (very good), and a Time to Kill (best Grisham of the 4 I have read so far). Grisham tends to bog down in details sometimes, but not so much you want to quit reading, just have to fight the urge to skim sometimes.

Nothing I have read so far compares in the slightest to Patterson though.

If you like Clancy at all try a Clive Cussler book. If you like Grisham at all try a Michael Connely book. I think both are more engaging. Last I would recommend reading the Tourist. The movie was a total adaptation of the book and did not even follow it. It is a great Spy novel. If you like crime, read the Stieg Larson and Jo Nesbo books. Those are really good.

The Larson stuff is good, but it's dry in parts (maybe b/c of the translation?). I had to force my way thru the first 100 pages of Dragon Tattoo.

Just read all 3 of the Hunger Games trilogy and enjoyed. Very quick reads and kept my attention.

Highly recommend The Dragon Tattoo trilogy,

An old book called Alas Babylon by Pat Frank. (Made my students read it when I taught History.).

Like Mythology stuff? Try Red Pyramid or the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. I prefered the Thief because it focused on Greek Mythology.

Also recommend the Harry Potter books if you are one of 10 people on the planet who hasnt read one.

Looking for new stuff enjoy trilogy stuff similiar to above.

If you liked Hunger Games and Alas Babylon I highly recommend The Passage by Justin Cronin.

Just finished the 4th of "The Black Sun's Daughter" series. Did I just get lucky or is most 'urban fantasy' this good?

I've tended to avoid it assuming most are Twilight-ish emo borefests. Stupid me, if these are typical of the genre. :wishluck:

Few recent books have left me this hungry for more.

HANOVER_1.jpg

Still reading: The Complete Stories of Phillip K Dick vol 1 King of the Elves (Subterranean Press)

Since my last post I have completed:

Deadeye Dick by Kurt Vonnegut

A Dance with Dragons by George R R Martin

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

and right now I am in the middle of Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

I just finished 1984 by George Orwell and for the longest time ever I'm without a book to read.

I have bought several books in these last weeks trying to rebuild my library (i had to part ways with my books a few months ago), I just don't know what to read next.

173633-L.jpg

If you like history this whole series by Bedford publishing has many outstanding titles. I'm reading "July 1914 Soldiers, Statesmen, and the Coming of the Great War". The books in this series on Pearl Harbour, FDR and the New Deal, and LBJ are also great, the book on LBJ in particular by Schulman is one of the finest short histories of his Admin I've ever read.

Just finished Richard Rhodes "Dark Sun the making of the H Bomb" (Simon and Schuster?), and that was amazing!

Thanks for the heads up (thumbs u I'll check those out

I'm looking to buy a copy of The travels of Marco Polo, I am however uncertain about what edition to get.

What's the closest to the original translation one can find in the bookstores nowadays?

Just finishing up Tropic Of Cancer by Henry Miller and I'm really impressed with the author. I like his writing more than Hemmingways'. They are very similar in style and The Sun Also Rises was the book I previously read and really enjoyed, but Miller's words are more poetic to me, although the story is slightly less gripping. If you like this type of book, I highly recommend it, even though it's written in the 30's, the style is current so this book was way ahead of its time. Of course a similar style to those is Kerouac's On the Road, if you haven't read it I recommend it before the movie comes out. Same with Life of Pi, one of the most enjoyable books I've read and the movie is supposed to come out at the end of the year (although it's not in the same style as the previous books I've listed). Next up I think I'll reread Garland's The Beach again, really enjoyed that the first time around a decade ago.

Just started QUANTUM REALITY by physicist Nick Herbert. Intriguing.

....."The Hidden Reality", by Brian Greene....and "Hells Angel" by Sonny Barger.....quite a variety. I'm also finishing off the Horror Stories of Robert E. Howard. GOD BLESS...

Just finished reading "Street Freak: Money and Madness at Lehman Brothers" by Jared Dillian, which covers his career as a trader at Lehman Brothers from 2001 until the bank's collapse. I have met Dillian a number of times and always knew he was a crazy, intense dude, but I didn't realize just how crazy (as in, literally - padded room and everything) until I read this fast-paced, entertaining book. If you enjoyed "Liar's Poker" (the book which put "BSD" into the vernacular), you'll probably enjoy this fast-paced, well-written memoir - check it out.

Just finished the 4th of "The Black Sun's Daughter" series. Did I just get lucky or is most 'urban fantasy' this good?

Few recent books have left me this hungry for more.

HANOVER_1.jpg

I'm half-way through Leviathan Wakes (nominated for the 2012 Hugo Award for Best Novel) and it's sooo damn good. :ohnoez:

What's weird is 'James S.A. Corey' and that 'Black Sun's Daughter' series, 'M.L.N. Hanover', are both pen names for a Daniel Abraham, who apparently does some George R. R. Martin type medieval fantasy.

Whoever this guy is, he just moved to the top of the list. The only other recent author who blew me away at this level is Rothfuss ('Name of the Wind', 'The Wise Man's Fear'), an extremely rare occurrence. :cloud9:

Leviathan-Wakes.jpg

Just finished reading Alan Furst's novel "Spies of the Balkans" about a Greek police officer who gets involved with British intelligence, a ring that smuggles Jews out of Germany, and some other cloak & dagger capers (and a forbidden love affair to boot) in the months leading up to the Nazi invasion of Greece. The book was a little light on action, and I felt the story wasn't as cohesive as it could be, but it really made you think about how day to day life must have been for these people in either occupied Europe circa 1940 or places that would soon be subjected to invasion and occupation. It was also pretty terrifying putting yourself into the shoes of a member of a persecuted class trying to flee to safety, and for that, I thought it was worth the read.