• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

Flaubert's 1862 novel was the most violent & sadistic fiction I've ever read. More than Blood Meridian or American Psycho. Or any film.

hm Was it good? Worth checking out?

I really liked Madame Bovary.

MB, as you know, was epochal moderism.

This book revealed how violence is more than just the obverse of sex & lust. This book attempted to swap violence, extreme violence, with all carnal desire. Charnel desire.

I can't recommend it.

I'm almost done with Enter, Night. It's a vampire novel. It's set in the 70s, and as it turns out, one of the characters in the story, a kid, is totally into Tomb of Dracula. The comic plays a role in the story, too, as the vampires begin to invade the town.

I was going to mention that in the thread posted a few years ago about books that contain comics in them, but I can't find that thread anymore. hm

Here is the link to The Man in the High Tower.

I'm not much of a PKD reader. This book is of interest for its treatment of the collector mentality more than the speculative, alternate history angles. It is good with comparative culture studies, too.

This past week & this week includes these two:

The Double: A Psychoanalytic Study by Otto Rank. A perennial favorite -- read as a reference for a few other things on my mind this month.

The Uncanny by Freud.

It's worth noting that The Man in the High Tower features a character in retreat from the world but then gave it up & held cocktail parties open to the public instead. I was reminded of their counterpart: Hightower, a character in Faulkner's Light in August who went on permanent retreat from the world in search of total isolation.

Im currently reading two books. Drood by Dan Simmons and The Ten Cent Plague. (Picked this one up again after getting about 70 pgs. in and not reading it for a couple months. Its been really slow but has been picking up. Getting more interesting.)

If your looking for something a bit less epochally, try the new Stephen King book, "11/22/63"

Yeah, all my customers love it. Heck, even the NY Times liked it and they never like King!

Is 11/22/63 out already?

Managing the Use of Force Incident

Work related, but an outstanding book that should be required reading for anyone in law enforcement. It was written by a good friend of mine who is considered the Godfather of defensive tactics.

The old order changeth, yielding place to new, And God fulfills himself in many ways, Lest one good custom should corrupt the world.

Idylls of the King by ALT & other selected poems.

Edited by TupennyConan

A Dance with Dragons. (thumbs u (thumbs u

So jealous. Can't wait until I get to start that one. But then, what will I do?

I've been spoiled getting to read the series without a break waiting for the next one to come out. Hope he cranks out #6 quickly.

I'm about 1/3 of the way thru Storm of Swords.

I nearly bought the most interesting book today..it was a museum book from some sort of archeological museum in Mexico..it had pictures and descriptions of artifacts like a catalog and in the back it had sheets of slides of the objects.

But they wanted $7 for it..and we were short of cash. When my husband saw the entire text was in Spanish we decided against it. But honestly it was a HUGE book in a fancy slipcover about 4.5 inches thick. And I have a slide viewer. I would have bought it just to look at all the artifacts.

It had to have been something purchased at a museum ...

I did get some interesting dime paperbacks but haven't started on them..with my arm not being good right now it is uncomfortable to position myself they way I normally like to read..because I can't put weight on my shoulder much.

:(

Managing the Use of Force Incident

Work related, but an outstanding book that should be required reading for anyone in law enforcement. It was written by a good friend of mine who is considered the Godfather of defensive tactics.

You're a Jedi??? :o

A Dance with Dragons. (thumbs u (thumbs u

So jealous. Can't wait until I get to start that one. But then, what will I do?

I've been spoiled getting to read the series without a break waiting for the next one to come out. Hope he cranks out #6 quickly.

I'm about 1/3 of the way thru Storm of Swords.

I'm waiting until he finishes. What do I care? I have time. :grin: