• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

I couldn't. That was 50 pages of torture. :cry:

Have you ever tried to read "The Naked Lunch"?

Folks shouldn't bother.

eat some drugs... hm

I did my share (and your share too), and I still couldn't get into it.

I couldn't. That was 50 pages of torture. :cry:

Have you ever tried to read "The Naked Lunch"?

Folks shouldn't bother.

eat some drugs... hm

I did my share (and your share too), and I still couldn't get into it.

Perhaps you would find Finnegan's Wake more palatable... hm

What are you guys and gals reading right now, besides comic books? I know comics helped instill a love for reading in me and it's still a major focus in my life today. For me.... "Jack the Ripper, Case Closed" by Patricia Cornwell, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, Collected Short Stories by H.P. Lovecraft, "Souls on Fire" by Elie Weisel, "The Nature of Space and Time" by Hawkins and Penrose, and two biographies about AC / DC and Led Zeppelin. They're all great. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I am reading Elizabeth Kostanova's, "The Swan Thieves" :)

The Yearling.

Haven't read this since I was 12 or 13.

I also read the Yearling at a young age. I can remember i had a Hardcover copy of it that was pretty old, and it being vintage I attributed it intrinsic value. Perhaps the seed of collecting old stories was implanted in me at a very young age.

Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings was an interesting writer. I need to read more of her works including the short stories.

Here wiki is interesting (the bit about her libel suit in particular.)

I was unaware she taught Creative Writing at UF, and also was friends with Zora Neal Hurston (even though she made her sleep in the servants quarters with her black maid when she came to visit)

I love Florida writers! :headbang:

I just read the Wiki entry, Neil.

She taught in Anderson Hall at UF :headbang:

I didn't know she was so closely associated with St Augustine. I'm pretty familiar with that town.

I'm enjoying the novel. It is prompting long forgotten memories of childhood & my first reading of it. Pretty remarkable.

She wrote The Historian right? About Dracula? I thought that one never really got off the ground...

I thought the Historian was good, bit overrated, but good. In terms of sales it was a huge hit tho, hit number 1 and it was recognized at the time as a huge "million dollar contract", which actually is quite rare for a first time author.

Swan Thieves was great!

I'm closing in on the end of "Clash of Kings". Hope to have it complete by the end of the weekend, and can't wait to start on the next one.

Just incredible stuff. (worship)

"Clash of Kings" complete. Will be starting "Storm of Swords" tonight. :banana:

I picked up a very nice reading copy of Beowulf, translated by Seamus Heaney. The typesetting is easy on the eye, much more so than many of the other translations I've seen.

A retread this week, inspired by the WC Gold thread --

Man in the High Castle.

Noteworthy reference -- 'amost mint' copy of 'funny book' Tip Top Comics 1.