• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

I'm reading Larry Bird: Drive. It's pretty good, I think I would like it more if all the good stuff wasn't already discussed in some of the other basketball books I've read.

It was spooky to read his opinions of the promising career of Reggie Lewis, especially since it followed the part about the death of Len Bias. So many "what if's" with that Celtics team.

Larry Bird is one tough sonuvaperson_without_enough_empathy.

Another Piers Anthony "Xanth" novel. I swear, every time I think he is out of puns, I see another Xanth book and get treated all over again.

Someone once said "there are no good puns." I agree.

I also love bad puns.

:devil:

-slym

Reading a few things. Just finished BloodQuest by Terry Brooks. I can never pass up a Shannara book. Just got Emperor of Thorns, the last book in that trilogy. Also, reading Zealot: The life and times of Jesus. Its pretty good. Its actually about the history of the period, not about religion. Also, Hitlerland: Eyewitness accounts of the rise of the Nazi Party. That one is one everyone should read. The book is made of the journals and interviews of Americans that were in Germany in the 1920's-1930's that saw the rise of Hitler. Funny thing is that most sources thought Hitler was a joke and basically a flash in the pan. Again, a history book.

I've been reading alot of Phillip K. recently. I had started with "Man in the High Castle" a few months ago, which I liked except for the ending. I went on to read a short story collection which contained "The Variable Man", "The Second Variety", "The Hanging Man", all of which I loved. Finally got read "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep" and was very impressed. A story I hadn't previously heard of, "Ubik", is probably my favorite of the bunch. I'm just blown away by PKD's talent in general, he's even better than the accolades. (worship)^^

I'm currently reading Unfinished Tales by J.R.R Tolken. I don't envy his son trying to make coherent tales, sometimes from unfinished manuscripts and chicken scratch on napkins.

I've been reading alot of Phillip K. recently. I had started with "Man in the High Castle" a few months ago, which I liked except for the ending. I went on to read a short story collection which contained "The Variable Man", "The Second Variety", "The Hanging Man", all of which I loved. Finally got read "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep" and was very impressed. A story I hadn't previously heard of, "Ubik", is probably my favorite of the bunch. I'm just blown away by PKD's talent in general, he's even better than the accolades. (worship)^^

PKD was a genius, even if he did repeat himself on occasion. In addition to the ones you mentioned, "A Scanner Darkly" and "The Transmigration of Timothy Archer" are great.

And "Valis" actually changed my life.

PKD was a genius, even if he did repeat himself on occasion. In addition to the ones you mentioned, "A Scanner Darkly" and "The Transmigration of Timothy Archer" are great.

And "Valis" actually changed my life.

Just finishing "A Scanner Darkly" and have heard good things about the other 2 you mentioned. Will definitely check them out! (thumbs u

I'm currently reading "The Widow Clicquot: The Story of a Champagne Empire and the Woman Who Ruled It" by Tilar J. Mazzeo about the woman who started Veuve Clicquot. Interesting stuff.

Recently finished

Ghost Rider and The Masked Rider, both by Neil Peart

In progress

The Game - Jack London

Dune - Frank Herbert

Love the first four Dune books. Those were great. The last two I know he did for the money and to me it kind of shows. The sequels and prequels his son did were okay junkfood reading. Not great by any stretch of the imagination. They started off okay. But fell flat with the reason for the rift between the Harkonnens and the Atreides. That was just stupid.

Here it goes:

The Business of Antiques by Wayne Jordan

The Art Hunters Handbook by Les & Sue Fox

The Official Price Guide to Mechanical Banks by Dan Morphy (yes, of Morphy Auctions fame - about time I read his book!). It is highly recommended if you collect mechanical antique banks.

I honestly wish I had time to read for 'fun.' Most of the books I read center around antiques and collectibles research, business, or politics. I miss the days when I could read a Stephen King novel or an awesome classic like The Great Gatsby (my favorite book of all time) or Ethan Frome...

What can I say...I'm truly the life of the party (yes, I am being sarcastic!)