• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Well, Borders officially filed for bankruptcy

44 posts in this topic

Another nail in the coffin for B&M and paper based mediums? Maybe that 5-10yr death of paper timeline is not so insane after all. Sadly, one of my local favorite B&Ms is getting the axe. :cry:

I often hear the argument that other competitors (Wall Mart, Costco, etc) beat them on costs. I don't get that argument, because with a very low cost membership, you can typically get 40% off just about anything there (including a MUCH better selection). And what will happen to amzn costs when their B&M counterparts go belly up? Do monopolies give better prices? :pullhair:

One concern about going to all digital, is that we'll no longer even 'own' the object we purchase. What makes you think they won't require a periodic license update to keep viewing the object?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?gl=us&ie=UTF8&t=h&msa=0&msid=215076871090665028755.00049c6b22996d48c72c3&ll=35.513784,-97.541084&spn=0.136934,0.167885&z=12&source=embed

the borders by me is always packed, but i wonder if everyone is using the 33-40% off coupons. i'd buy my WD tpbs there.

thing is, it's a HUGE space. even if there's a steady flow of paying customers at the cash registers, if it's people only spending $10 a pop, it might not have been enough for that space at manhattan rents. then again, it might have been profitable, but the whole company dragged it down. there are probably borders in the middle of nowhere with the same # of employees (but with lower rents) that did 10% of the business my place did.

this sux because a borders gift card was always an easy gift and i HATE B&N's pay membership nonsense to get discounts.

Are we supposed to make new threads every time we post now?

Sorry, I didn't mean to add a post to your thread. :eek:

:baiting:

Your blood is up. Quit being a butthole. Greengod has you all out of sorts.

You guys take me WAY more seriously than you should. :makepoint:

the borders by me is always packed, but i wonder if everyone is using the 33-40% off coupons. i'd buy my WD tpbs there.

thing is, it's a HUGE space. even if there's a steady flow of paying customers at the cash registers, if it's people only spending $10 a pop, it might not have been enough for that space at manhattan rents. then again, it might have been profitable, but the whole company dragged it down. there are probably borders in the middle of nowhere with the same # of employees (but with lower rents) that did 10% of the business my place did.

this sux because a borders gift card was always an easy gift and i HATE B&N's pay membership nonsense to get discounts.

+1

I LOVE Borders and their Rewards coupons but the one by me is HUGE!!! Every time i go in there, i try to calculate how INSANE their overhead is and how many books they have to sell to make a profit. Other than me, it seems like everyone else is just there lounging on the couches and reading.

Literally, my Borders is almost the size of a Costco/Walmart. There is no possible way a space that massive can be profitable selling books.

Like blob, i'll be sad to see them go as i also HATE B&N and having to pay for the same rewards Borders gives for free :(

... i HATE B&N's pay membership nonsense to get discounts.

The feeling is mutual. They charge something like $25/yr to get a 20% discount (woo hoo).

Borders standard 20-40% coupons don't require any membership.

Borders started charging $20/yr, with the provision that you get $10 back instantly in credit AND 10% on top of the 20-40% coupons. And yet, somehow B&N survives. People like to pay more? (shrug)

Borders $39.99 - Amazon $22.50; you do the math. I have a local Borders here that if they were competitive I would have gladly bought from them. I hope no one has their gift cards etc etc. When The Sharper Image filed their money cards were null and void.

This is where you and a million other misguided people are miscalculating. Please look into the discount structure a bit more closely. On top of that, you get to preview before you buy; good luck with amzn. In my case, I tend to purchase larger cost academic and financial texts pretty often (~50-100); Borders almost always beats. Amazon is a great company with great service; no argument there. But competition is always a good thing for the consumers-- once that incentive disappears, I see no reason for them to maintain lower costs.

I rarely take you seriously Dice :insane:;)

On the other hand, YOU, should ALWAYS take me seriously. :sumo:

FU, creep.

Amazon was going to kill some competitors at some point. Borders won't be the last. Things are trending towards a world where Amazon and Walmart control nearly all of the retail market. This is unlikely to be good for the consumer.

We had a big Borders store here about 10 years ago...gone now, put out of business by...

...a smaller, but more well-established, Barnes and Noble, which was about a mile from it. The B&N is still here, too, and is usually packed when I go to it on the weekends...

FU, creep.

:whee:

I don't like B&N. I love Borders. I'm sorry to see them going through bankruptcy. I really like the Borders coffee too. I hope they can make it through this. I would really miss their presence if they were not around.

I don't . :whatev: