• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scarcest Centaurs?

142 posts in this topic

I had the lloyd jacquet copy of Keen Komics one (sold to bodhee I believe)...and that AMF 2/7 and that FP39 bedrock posted he snagged from me during the great sell off lol

I had a kdf1/10 coverless copy I sold at sdcc (along with my amf 1/4 coverless)...I kept my aman 26 coverless copy, though, and still have it today (was a great gift from a good friend)

:whistle:

Quoted from CentaurMan. Other such nuggets abound on the boards ... The Search function is your friend ol' buddy :baiting:

That's a critical Centaur, v2#10, with the first appearance of The Arrow hidden in those pages. I liken it to Feature Comics #27, first Doll Man, which also has a nondescript funny cover, also has very few sales data points, and also sells for many multiples of guide when it comes available.

Here's my Funny Pages "Windex" ranking for scarcity (higher is tougher):

v1#6:....24

v1#7:....22

v1#8:....22

v1#9:....22

v1#10:..19

v1#11:..19

v2#1:....15

v2#2:....19

v2#3:....19

v2#4:....15

v2#5:....17

v2#6:....15

v2#7:....18

v2#8:....16

v2#9:....18

v2#10:..25

v2#11:..16

v2#12:..24

v3#1:....20

v3#2:....20

v3#3:....27

v3#4:....27

v3#5:....27

v3#6:....24

v3#7:....23

v3#8:....18

v3#9:....23

v3#10:..26

v4#1:....18

35:........19

36:........21

37:........21

38:........23

39:........24

40:........26

41:........24

42:........25

Keep in mind that with books this scarce, it's much tougher to assemble an accurate gauge of scarcity, but I think this is at least directionally correct. Also keep in mind that the single toughest issue of Sub-Mariner scored a 21, which gives you an idea of how tricky even a basic issue of Funny Pages can be.

For perspective, other books scoring a 27 on my system include All-American #3, #7, and #10, Amazing-Man #26, Amazing Mystery Funnies #23, and Fantastic Comics #19.

For more perspective, I consider ratings of 12-14 as pretty tough, and 15-18 as challenging. Books scoring a 15 on my system include Action #1 and Detective #27. All-American #16 is a 16, and Adventure #40 is a 17. Detective Comics #1 is a 19, while Action #7 is a 20. The infamous Fantastic Comics #3 is a 24.

Batman #1 is a 9, and All-Flash #1 is an 8.

Great stuff as always Scrooge. The only issue I take with the above is Action #7 being scarcer than Detective #1.

I don't have any empirical evidence to support my hypothesis, just a lot of years of being around GA comics. I think Action 7 is much more plentiful than Detective 1, it just doesn't change hands much because it is so loved by Superman collectors, and othe GA enthusiasts. I'd wager it is 2-3 times more plentiful. I know I've seen many more of them than I have of Tec 1 over the years. Neither book is scarce as hens teeth, but I just have seen, and owned more 7's than 1's.

Well, give Win a break here. His difference is only 1 point between the two on his scale and you know that his scale is biased by the # of issues that turned up for sale so that, of course, books held tightly in collections will show higher ranking than otherwise. I still believe that his measurement is a major improvement on Ernie's Scarcity Index.

The only time I care about the Gerber of a book is if I own it and it has an inflated #; otherwise, he overestimates some books by a lot, esp. rarer '50's books that he had no interest in.

Keeping this to Centaurs, though and I am out of my area of expertise so I'll go back to lurking and will continue to read. :popcorn:

Well, give Win a break here. His difference is only 1 point between the two on his scale and you know that his scale is biased by the # of issues that turned up for sale so that, of course, books held tightly in collections will show higher ranking than otherwise. I still believe that his measurement is a major improvement on Ernie's Scarcity Index.

The only time I care about the Gerber of a book is if I own it and it has an inflated #; otherwise, he overestimates some books by a lot, esp. rarer '50's books that he had no interest in.

Keeping this to Centaurs, though and I am out of my area of expertise so I'll go back to lurking and will continue to read. :popcorn:

I'm sure that Win has accumulated additional data and would produce a more accurate "Windex." His initial cut was a very clever attempt to predict scarcity using only limited data.

This is one of my favorite of the Centaurs... loaded with Everett, Burgos, Guardineer, Tarpe Mills... and by far the rarest comic I own.

4_post.jpg

Another tough one (my personal favorite Centaur), and some interior shots...

52.jpg

5DX.jpg

5dhast.jpg

Might as well round off the mini run with another tough AMF ... probably the least rare out of the three, but still pretty tough.

6_post.jpg

6panel_post.jpg