• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Marvel 1st issues project

330 posts in this topic

A few months ago, i decided to take on a project of getting every Marvel comic issued my birth month 5/72 for fun. It quickly proved WAY too hard for my patience as some of the issues were just impossible to freaking find. After winning a few 1st issues in an auction a few months ago and looking thru my collection and seeing i had a decent amount of other 1st issues, i instead decided to try and get EVERY pre 1980 Marvel 1st issue in fairly HG.

Some, are way out of my range and wont happen unless i hit the lotto like ASM, FF and such but most of the BA 1st issues are fairly affordable. After getting a LARGE shipment of them from seanfingh yesterday, i now have a pretty good start on my goal. Hopefully within 2 years or so, i can complete the run.

BIG thank you to seanfingh for really jumpstarting my project with his books! (worship)

A few are probably technically SA books but heres what i have so far starting with the earliest release date (thumbs u

1-1.jpg

1-2.jpg

1-3.jpg

1-4.jpg

1-5.jpg

1-6.jpg

1-7.jpg

1-8.jpg

1-9.jpg

1-10.jpg

A few months ago, i decided to take on a project of getting every Marvel comic issued my birth month 5/72 for fun.

Oh, RLY?

What day?

And my goal is to get one of EVERY comic published in May, 1972. I'm almost there. Of course, it's much, much easier when grade isn't a big issue.

;)

A few months ago, i decided to take on a project of getting every Marvel comic issued my birth month 5/72 for fun.

Oh, RLY?

What day?

And my goal is to get one of EVERY comic published in May, 1972. I'm almost there. Of course, it's much, much easier when grade isn't a big issue.

;)

May 6th. You?

Yeah, some of those books are just impossible to find slabbed in 9.0+! It would have driven me crazy and took the fun out of it. At least most of the 1st issues are available it's just a matter of coming up with the funds to buy them. That will take me long enough but still remain fun for me as hopefully I can pick up a few issues every month.

Oh, RLY?

What day?

;)

May 6th. You?

Yeah, some of those books are just impossible to find slabbed in 9.0+! It would have driven me crazy and took the fun out of it. At least most of the 1st issues are available it's just a matter of coming up with the funds to buy them. That will take me long enough but still remain fun for me as hopefully I can pick up a few issues every month.

22nd. You're old. :P

Yeah, it's easy to find, say, Amazing Spidey #108...not so much Rawhide Kid #99.

Forget Young Love #95. lol

22nd??? And your parents let a youngster like you spend money like that on comics?!? lol

Yeah, i quickly realized that i would get WAY too annoyed spending that much time finding books i didnt even care about like Millie the model, Young love, etc.

1st issues are WAY easier and more fun for me. Just from the little bit of work i did trying on the Marvels, if you get EVERY 5/72 book, thats quite an accomplishment! (worship)

Like I said, you've gotta be flexible on grade, or you'll just be frustrated. I've never been an ubergrade pre-1980 guy anyways, because they were sucked out of the market by the time I got to it, so if you're ok just having a copy, it's not too hard.

The Charltons are proving most difficult. I think I have maybe 95% of the Marvels and DCs.

Oh, RLY?

What day?

;)

May 6th. You?

22nd. You're old. :P

Yeah, it's easy to find, say, Amazing Spidey #108...not so much Rawhide Kid #99.

Forget Young Love #95. lol

May 5, 1972 here.. :acclaim: I have every Marvel comic printed on 5/72. :sumo:lol Cool #1 issue stuff by the way! :headbang:

hmmm

Interesting. I believe I could get all of the number 1's from my May birthday, cheaper than you did.

:preach:

I HIGHLY doubt that (thumbs u

Close to half of them, I got in a VERY good package deals from seanfingh. A few I got in either great deals on the board or CHEAP auction wins. The rest, mostly the big ones, I bought 10-20 years ago at about 1/10 what they guide for now :banana:

Looking good, buddy. Marvel Bronze #1s were the first CGC books I ever collected, and they are still near and dear to my heart. I am glad they are in a good home, and I am sorry about that Tarzan crack. That is obscene. More goodies on their way soon . . . :)

--S.

Looking good, buddy. Marvel Bronze #1s were the first CGC books I ever collected, and they are still near and dear to my heart. I am glad they are in a good home, and I am sorry about that Tarzan crack. That is obscene. More goodies on their way soon . . . :)

--S.

No worries man! They are keepers for me so the cracks dont bother me much. I have a batch of about 15-20 that need to be reholdered probably sometime next year so i'll just throw the Tarzan in with it (thumbs u

Thanks again for the books! Will DEFINITELY be doing business with you again (worship)

We should form a club.

The "we were born in May, 1972 and you weren't" club....

lol I am in! :headbang:

I'm sorry, sir, but you'll have to provide documentation proving your eligibility for this club....plus the $50 registration fee....

:rulez:

We should form a club.

The "we were born in May, 1972 and you weren't" club....

lol I am in! :headbang:

I'm sorry, sir, but you'll have to provide documentation proving your eligibility for this club....plus the $50 registration fee....

:rulez:

50 Bucks??? :tonofbricks: I will pass on this club then..thanks! Dude...any luck on that Rawhide Kid #27? :grin:lol