• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Marvel 1st issues project

330 posts in this topic

From what I hear most people say, there are VERY few new comics that hold a reader and have people anxiously awaiting the next issue like when we were kids. I wonder if it's just being a kid also. Would we still be anxiously awaiting the next issue of even those great old stories now as 38-40 year olds or was it just us being kids back then?

---------------------------

It's because we were kids. And a lot of the stuff we were reading had not been done 25 times already...some of it had only been done 2 or 3 times! 30 years later we're more jaded. Not to mention, our brains are old and our lives a lot more complicated, so these 49 part 9 title cross-overs just pizz us off. How about a story arc that is done in 4 issues? How about an occasional one issue story to break things up? How about not always trying to sell us some gimmick, some re-boot or a new way to squeeze more money out of us?

There's good stuff out there, I don't think comics are any worse now than 30 years ago. For every CC/Byrne run back in the day there were plenty of stinkers, just like now. But it's monumentally more difficult to follow a story now if you aren't willing to spend $100 on the issues (or TPBs later) or, paying less fishing them out of overstock boxes, but risking missing an issue here and there.

I think you should give the New ASM a chance, if you were ever a Spidey fan in the past I think you may just like it. It really is heading in a good direction, the only thing that bothers me is the constant artist change they do. Right now they are focused on one writer for the time being and that is good. Dan Slott is the writer and I think he does a good job. I enjoyed his Thing and She-Hulk series he did a few years ago and actually his newer Spidey Marvel Team-Up series was great to.....full of action and good continuity sub-plots and plots going on from issue to issue. I wish they did not cancel that one.

I was going by newsstand date personally.

I forget the site but someone posted it in general a few months ago. You put in a date and t tells you every marvel book published. I'll try and find it and link it for you tomorrow.

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/marvel/coverdate.php?year=1972&month=5 :cloud9:

Thanks! Oddly enough, I've used that guy's DC site a bajillion times or so, but never noticed the Marvel side of it. Does the DC part have the cover date looker-upper as well? (I tried just switching the "marvel" to "dc" in the url, that didn't work.)

Late to the party for commenting, but this is a cool idea. :) I think I'll try your original plan as well.

The cover date is a smaller subset of books, and 6/73 has some cool books; DD #100, WBN #6, Spotlight #10, etc.

The "on sale" in 6/73 is a much larger list..

Hmmm.. This could be fun. :)

The comics below were cover dated June 1973.

Gun-Slinger #3

Shanna, the She-Devil #4

Shield #3

Cat #4

Chili #23

Crazy #3

Daredevil #100

Fear #14

Incredible Hulk #164

Iron Man #59

Kid Colt Outlaw #171

Millie the Model #202

Wyatt Earp #34

Amazing Spider-Man #121

Avengers #112

Captain America #162

Doc Savage #5

Marvel Triple Action #11

Monsters on the Prowl #23

Sub-Mariner #62

Thor #212

Vault of Evil #3

X-Men #82

Astonishing Tales #18

Conan the Barbarian #27

Gunhawks #5

Hero for Hire #10

Marvel Tales #43

Rawhide Kid #112

Supernatural Thrillers #4

Tomb of Dracula #9

Combat Kelly #7

Defenders #6

Fantastic Four #135

Journey into Mystery #5

Li'l Kids #12

Marvel Spotlight #10

Marvel Team-Up #10

Our Love Story #23

Outlaw Kid #16

Sgt. Fury #111

Warlock #6

I tried this about 5 years ago and had probably about 40 bronze age #1's...was really fun until the divorce :taptaptap:

I wish you luck and I think your off to a great start....oh and more importantly

born Jan 2, 1972...beat that 1972 alum lol

I tried this about 5 years ago and had probably about 40 bronze age #1's...was really fun until the divorce :taptaptap:

I wish you luck and I think your off to a great start....oh and more importantly

born Jan 2, 1972...beat that 1972 alum lol

The 1972 club is going strong! :applause:

Sorry :blush:

It was a little more than i wanted to pay especially with the miswrap but you dont see HG copies, much less Pedigree, come up very often so i went for it. I'm not a miswrap snob at all but that one is right on the line of being big enough to bother me. Still, for a 9.6 #1 Pedigree from more than 40 years ago, i can be happy with it.

A few that i got tonight. Last night, i couldnt win an auction to save my life and missed everything. Tonight, i got pretty much everything i bid on even though i had to put my bids in like 5 hours early.

MT1.jpg

m21.jpg

mm1.jpg

Dont laugh at me, it's a BA #1 danggit!!!

nn1.jpg

Not sure if this actually counts even though its listed under the registry set. I dont think im going to count it. What do you guys think? Counts as a #1 or no?

gss1.jpg